cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

FTTP

How realistic is it that during the next 20 years the majority of homes will have FTTP ?

It might be one thing to lay fibre to a main box with copper connections remaining to homes but how realistic is it in terms of cost and man power required to change the copper cable to individual homes ?

10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: FTTP

Depends on what BT-Openreach want to please more, their customers, or their shareholders...

If the former, and they got their backsides into gear, we could have FTTP everywhere within the next 10 years, there's enough manpower and money in their hands that it can (and should) be done, but if they're only interested in the latter, forget it, 20+ years if we (the cash cows being milked and fobbed off) are lucky...

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Not beyond the realms of possibility, BT just need to get there act together but it's all dollars and cents before provision and customer. Rediffusion was running 'piped' cable to homes before the second world war and expanded it to television years later of course.

Where there's a will there's a way? Clearly not.  

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
2u2me
Aspiring Pro

Think if there`s profit in it they will do it, but will need government backing, (taxpayer pay`s again)

Community Veteran

Before long OpenReach will be separated from BT. Afterwards FTTP will become feasible as Openreach realise the savings in maintenance and operational costs will pay for a switch away from copper.

The present BT Executive as focusing investment on media and not telecoms.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Minivanman wrote:

Rediffusion was running 'piped' cable to homes before the second world war and expanded it to television years later of course.

I remember reading about Rediffusion, how they fitted a box on the wall with a selector switch and was hooked up to an amplified speaker to listen to the radio, and later connected to adapted televisions for receiving broadcast TV without an aerial, all very clever... Smiley

That is, apart form the cabling, as it was done like a ring main, where each house had a cable going in and a cable going out (to the next house), and people cutting the cables because they didn't want it any more and everyone down the line being cut off!!! Funny

Minivanman
Hero

I actually worked for a cable company in south Wales back in the early 70s where poor reception meant having to have cables fed in exactly the way you said. This was all looked after by those we called 'the pipe boys' - I was just a lowly television installer back then and crikey, were those early colour sets heavy. I had my own version of Murphy's law as well which was 'the size of the television is directly proportional to the accessibility of the premises' - and how true that was!  Grin

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

twocvbloke wrote:

Depends on what BT-Openreach want to please more, their customers, or their shareholders...

If the former, and they got their backsides into gear, we could have FTTP everywhere within the next 10 years, there's enough manpower and money in their hands that it can (and should) be done, but if they're only interested in the latter, forget it, 20+ years if we (the cash cows being milked and fobbed off) are lucky...

as a PLC, the CEO is legally bound to maximise profits for the benefit of the shareholders.
they are never going to do anything that put the shareholders profit at risk.

shareholders will always be higher priority than customers.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Clearly some of the CEO's in Banking or in the case of one large supermarket didn't consider the shareholders when taking some risky decisions.

Smiley

Community Veteran

chenks76 wrote:

shareholders will always be higher priority than customers.

And that's where the problem lies, the balance of power is tipped in the favour of those who are only in it for the money and not for the end product, though that balance could be tipped back the other way if the customer figured out they have the power to go elsewhere and cause BT-Openreach to lose a lot of money (which the shareholders want), as there's other ways to get internet access (mobile broadband, wireless broadband, community fibre, cable, etc.) and telephony services (mobile phone & VoIP), if they don't pull their thumbs out, and we the cash cows learn how to think for ourselves (a big stretch, I know), then BT could be left very out of pocket, the shareholders calling in the receivers and whatever's left probably bought out by some international company...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

gleneagles wrote:

Clearly some of the CEO's in Banking or in the case of one large supermarket didn't consider the shareholders when taking some risky decisions.

Smiley

they probably thought the risk was worth it for the potential gains.
but as they say, your investment may go down as well as up.