Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

Re: FTTH/FTTC 90% reach!

Have you tried, looking up

...... your street/road/lane ? Roll eyes
David_W
Rising Star

Sam Knows (www.samknows.com) will tell you your exchange and all the details you'll ever want to know about it.
Denzil
Grafter

Doesn't tell me where my green box is, though!
David_W
Rising Star

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/WWHAYL that's mine, the green arrow is where the exchange I'm connected to is (Foundry Square, Hayle)
MrC
Grafter

As Denzil says though - it doesn't tell you where the local (green) cabs are - which is more important than where an exchange is. In fact for FTTC/FTTH the exchange is getting increasingly irrelevant.
David_W
Rising Star

Oh right, my bad thought he meant exchange, I should go opticians again  Crazy 
Shouldn't matter though, AFAIK FTTC/FTTH require new cabinets to be put in place that are larger than the current ones?
MrC
Grafter

Quote from: David
Shouldn't matter though, AFAIK FTTC/FTTH require new cabinets to be put in place that are larger than the current ones?

Yes, but I'd have thought the FTTC cabinets would be unlikely to be situated too far from the site of the original cabinets to avoid a lot of rewiring of the existing copper?
nadger
Rising Star

SamKnows say this for our exchange - FTTC status: RFS date set : 01/12/2010
Not seen any new cabinets as yet on my drives into town.
deekay
Grafter

A question about BT cabinets, please.
Is a BT small underground chamber, covered with a manhole cover, the underground equivalent of a cabinet?
Just wondered, as we have no cabinets nearby, but I have a BT manhole in my front lawn.
If, when the time comes for us to go on Fibre, BT think that they are going to put a large box on my front lawn...................!
Cheers.
Keith

nadger
Rising Star

The chamber on footpath near our house is purely where our phone line, and a few others, are connected. Our cabinet is about 400 yards away.
avalon
Grafter

There are loads of those little manholes between my house and the green cabinet.  What happens round here is they run a number of large cables to areas of housing from the cabinets.  At intervals they have a little manhole where they split of some of the wires which join to a smaller cable serving a street (or two) and at intervals some wires are split from that cable to go up a pole from where they feed into individual houses.
If you are in a new(ish) scheme the phone lines are probably run in plastic ducts from the manholes to the houses to remove the need for phone poles in the gardens.  My scheme is pretty old and the cable runs underground up between the back gardens where they divide two streets, popping out at intervals to go up the poles.  At one point one very old phone line could actually be seen nailed to the older garden fences dividing the streets from the bottom of the streets to the top.  Presumably it was a temporary measure in the 60's until they put a larger cable in as more people got phones.
I personally would accept a green cabinet, providing they agreed to give me FTTH.  My cabinet is a fair distance away and FTTC would only give me about 15Mb.  FTTH would be far faster.
Fixes: 173

Quote from: MrC
Yes, but I'd have thought the FTTC cabinets would be unlikely to be situated too far from the site of the original cabinets to avoid a lot of rewiring of the existing copper?

The ones I have seen so far are located right at the side of the existing ones.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 63.0.3 (64-bit)

Denzil
Grafter

Quote from: David
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/WWHAYL that's mine, the green arrow is where the exchange I'm connected to is (Foundry Square, Hayle)

You're not far from me, then - I'm near Carn Brea, and connected to the Camborne exchange, which is about 3 miles away as the crow flies, but somewhat further in terms of copper wire. Maybe I'll just have to follow my overhead wire and see where it ends up!
wacky17
Grafter

Im still waiting for fiber to come to penzance and im sure i read somewhere that it would be rolled out at the start of the year. i have looked on samknows website and no update there so does anybody know any other site(s) that are updated so i can see if its still going to happen?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

http://community.plus.net/21cn-exchange-availability/
Not even scheduled as far as I can see.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)