cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTH/FTTC 90% reach!

David_W
Rising Star

FTTH/FTTC 90% reach!

On the BBC Website BT are aiming for 90% coverage of Cornwall in FTTH/FTTC by 2014, I may actually obtain FTTH before 21CN is turned on at my exchange, go figure!  This is great news, my only hope.. wait, this is bad news, I just bought a Cisco router which I'm sure won't handle 100Mb(?), well, it's still good news, the calm before a national rollout?
[Moderator's note by Thomas (Be3G): URL tag fixed.]
31 REPLIES
Denzil
Grafter

Cornwall getting fibre!

Cheesy
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-11441551
FTTH going to half the homes and businesses, it says, and FTTC to the rest.
magnetism2772
Grafter

Re: Cornwall getting fibre!

I heard  Europe is giving BT 5 billion
how much of that will go  to shareholders and into BT  bonuses
and how much  will  of it will be spent on supplying
fast internet in the uk , who knows  ?
Community Veteran

Re: FTTH/FTTC 90% reach!

For everybody's information, I've merged two threads about the same topic (albeit with links to different BBC News articles).
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Correct me if I am wrong.... (usually am...)  FTTH = Fibre To The Home..... and FTTC = Fibre To The Cabinet....
Now then FTTH seems to be a pretty good way to "improve" internet connection speed...... BUT
what is the point of FTTC.... as the speed will not be increased to the "end user" cos he/she is connected via a couple of copper wires to the cabinet...
It will be a bit like coming to the end of a motorway, where three lanes of high speed traffic have to squeeze back into a double or even a single lane....  Undecided
Denzil
Grafter

It is still a much shorter piece of copper, instead of going maybe some miles from the exchange. Connection speeds depend roughly on the length of the wire, so a short wire does improve speeds, just not as much as FTTH.
We have gigabit networking over copper wire at work, and that works fine over short distances!
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Shutter - in effect FTTC is like having your line considerably shortened, as the DSLAM or equivalent is in the cabinet.
In my case the cabinet is about a mile from the exchange, and I'm a further two miles after that, so I would 'lose' about a third of my effective line length. Most people would see a greater benefit, as their exch-cab distance would be greater than the cab-home distance.
Not young enough to know everything
avalon
Grafter

In my case FTTC would mean an increase from around 5Mb (on a good day) to - if I'm lucky - 15 with ADSL2+.  It's highly unlikely they'd upgrade my exchange to 2+ now they're committed to rolling out fibre.
I'd really like FTTH, but I doubt we'll see that here.
Community Veteran

Ah ha!.... in that case then.... I may jump from a paltry 1 meg (at the moment)   normally 1.3 meg to 8 meg or more, as the cabinet is about 100  yards up the road, and the exchange is about 3 miles away !..

EDIT EDIT...... just checked, and the BT forecast for the upgrade for my exchange is Dec 2010.... so maybe a nice christmas prezzy for me !....
MrC
Grafter

It could be a lot better than that. My parents live in Hatt where Vtesse have just started offering their own (non-BT) FTTC/VDSL2 service. Their broadband speeds have jumped from a flaky 1mbps from ADSL2+ to a potential 40mbps. Although they've opted for the lower rate-limited 8mbps service their Vtesse supplied VDSL2 (and 802.11n wireless - PlusNet are you listening?) router confirms that the full 40mbps is available even though their house isn't that close to the Vtesse cabinet.
Jammy sods.......  Roll eyes
David_W
Rising Star

Sam Knows hasn't updated to show my exchange, if I'm in that 10% that won't get it... I'll cry  Crazy
Community Veteran

I checked it on here..... last updated 8/9/10  Wink
http://community.plus.net/21cn-exchange-availability/
David_W
Rising Star

I'm not on that list Sad I'll have to wait for the updated list with 90% of Cornwall, unless that 90% is already decided.
David_W
Rising Star

I found a FAQ!  There are 100 exchanges in Cornwall (99 mainland, 1 Isles of Scilly) and 100 exchanges are being upgraded!
Next Generation Broadband: FAQ’s
What would I use Next Generation Broadband (NGB) for?
You may have asked the same question about current broadband 10 years ago and now you find it indispensable! Although it is easiest to see the immediate benefit to you if, for example, you already struggle to send large files or have a large number of remote users, there is no question that NGB will transform the way practically all businesses work in future.
NGB allows multiple ‘bandwidth hungry’ applications to be run simultaneously and graphics and data to be downloaded much more quickly. For example it takes 42 mins to download 1 hour of video over 8Mb, and only 6 mins with FTTC (and FTTP will be even faster).
There are also substantially improved ‘upstream’ speeds. For businesses, the new network will underpin the introduction of many new services and applications. Computer processing and storage of files will become more sophisticated and secure using ‘cloud computing’ technology. There will be faster back-up of computer systems and wider use of high quality videoconferencing within firms and between them and their customers. The business world will become truly 24/7, with more collaborations between businesses across time zones to deliver seamless applications ……the list goes on and on.
What technologies will be used to deliver NGB?
Many NGB deployments in other parts of the world use fibre optic connections in some way.
FTTP, which stands for ‘Fibre to the premises’, would be the Rolls Royce ideal way of providing NGB and applications in a future-proofed way.
FTTC, which stands for ‘Fibre to the cabinet’, would be a more affordable solution for a wider deployment.
Other technologies, such as wireless, satellite and advanced copper based technologies will play an important part in the mix when it comes to delivering an broadband across the entire county.
So how much faster is NGB than current broadband?
Fibre to the cabinet (FTTC) solutions currently typically deliver speeds of 15-40Mb/s – but this will only increase in time! A fibre to the premises (FTTP) solution seems virtually unlimited by today’s standards, with speeds of 100Mb/s available on launch. Of course, it is important to remember that NGB is not just about speed - reliability and 'quality of service' are even more important for some applications.
When will it be available?
We are expecting the first NGB to be available in Cornwall in early 2011. To start with, it is likely that only two or three areas will be able to access the NGB. However, the longer term plan is to roll it out countywide by 2014.
Why is it all taking so long? What is the process leading up to this?
There are a number of complex issues that have needed resolving throughout 2010. For example, we needed to get clearance from Brussels in order to be allowed to make this investment in partnership with the private sector. We also needed to run an open competition to select the right private sector investor.
How can NGB help Cornwall’s economy?
By being one of the first areas of the UK to provide NGB, Cornwall will provide a headstart and a significant advantage to businesses that are able to make the most of the improved bandwidth to win a competitive edge in their marketplace. Our most innovative businesses will be able to become producers of new content and appliactions. In addition, the fact that Cornwall has NGB will act as a magnet to businesses looking to relocate, especially those in high value knowledge economy sectors. Other benefits, for example to the health and education sectors, will further help transform Cornwall’s economy into a more inclusive and higher value knowledge economy, built on a future-proofed NGB infrastructure.
Growing the knowledge economy is important for Cornwall and Scilly, and you can’t do that without the communications infrastructure to support it.
What sort of prices can consumers and businesses expect to pay for super-fast broadband? Can you really expect consumers and business to pay more for broadband when the country is still in economic difficulty?
A. It is too early to provide details on prices. Prices will be announced by service providers as the programme is rolled out. Of course, they will be competitive in order to deliver full benefit to Cornwall. The UK is in difficult economic times at present, but it is important to remember that this is a long-term programme running until 2014.
Are the Isles of Scilly included in this project?
Yes
Who are the partners for this project?
BT will be primarily working with Cornwall Council, Cornwall Development Company, the South West of England Regional Development Agency and the European Union.

Will consumers be able to order FTTP or FTTC, or just businesses?
The project is designed to boost economic transformation, hence the focus on businesses. However, consumers will have access to fibre too – by 2014 more than 200,000 lines (business and consumer) will have access to fibre services – FTTC or FTTP.
How many will receive FTTP and how many will receive FTTC?
Everyone in Cornwall will get better speeds through this project. Around 50% of premises will benefit from FFTP, and 30-40% from FTTC.  The remaining premises – in the remotest and hardest to reach locations - will be served by improved copper, wireless and satellite solutions.
You say that businesses outside the fibre footprint will receive advanced copper, wireless and satellite broadband. What sort of speeds will be delivered using these technologies?
The project aims to give everyone substantially better speeds than they currently receive. Advanced copper broadband tends to deliver speeds of between 6 and 10Mb on average though it can be higher or lower depending on the length of the line. The speeds we’ll be delivering over satellite and wireless will depend on the commercials of these locations when we get into detailed deployment.
How many exchanges in total across the region will be enabled for super-fast broadband?
All 100 of them. There are 99 exchanges in Cornwall, and 1 on the Isles of Scilly.
Can you tell me which areas of the region stand to benefit from fibre? Surely it will be large communities such as Truro?
The areas to benefit will be announced on a rolling basis and will be agreed by the project partners in consultation with other broadband service providers.
So when will the first locations be announced?
Early in the new calendar year.
Can everybody in Cornwall benefit from this project or will we see a rural divide between ‘haves’ and ‘have nots’ emerging?
Good quality broadband will be almost universally available in Cornwall. Super-fast fibre-based broadband will be available to 80-90 per cent of Cornish homes and businesses; and alternative state-of-the-art technologies, such as satellite, wireless and copper-based solutions, will be available for the remainder. This project will ensure that Cornwall is one of the best connected areas in the world. We will work closely with our project partners, broadband service providers and local communities to provide the best possible benefit for all parts of Cornwall.
The ‘infill’ areas will need careful planning to ensure they get the best long term solution. The project will be working closely with local communities to ensure that demand for any solution is maximised, giving them the best chance to get the best solution for their area.
Will any of this fibre roll-out help to address identified ‘not-spots’? If so, how many not spots are there in the region and how many of these will be addressed through this project? Where are these not spots located?
Due to the nature of the area there are currently several not-spots. The project is designed to ensure that everyone in the region benefits from improved broadband speeds. By 2014 there should be no no-spots in Cornwall and Scilly.
As an end user customer, do I need to buy my superfast broadband service from BT?
No. Other service providers will have access to the new network, and will be offering services to customers. The project is aiming to attract as many service providers as possible, in order to ensure maximum consumer choice and competition on the network.

Will BT charge the same prices in Cornwall as other parts of the UK or will it charge more to recover its investment?
BT will charge the same prices as in other parts of the UK.

Source - docx (Office 2010?)
Denzil
Grafter

Anybody know if there is a way I can look up where my green box is? I doubt they will run fibre all the way down my somewhat rural lane, and FTTC seems more likely. It would be nice to find out how far away it is.