cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC speed vs Distance

x47c
Grafter

FTTC speed vs Distance

Anyone got any feel/figures for typical achievable download speeds under FTTC at say
500m, 1000m, 1500m, 2000m.
I'm looking at local pcp cabinet metrics to see how many people on the cab are within these distances bands from it and hence how much or rather little each distance category might receive as a download Mbps if it were to be upgraded to FTTC.
I know the two local cab service areas pretty accurately...and I also know that aluminum is the cable type......
Why you ask?
'cos at present there is no intention to upgrade them under BDUK.
However Gigaclear might be interested instead in putting in FTTH and I'm trying to see even if BT DID upgrade them what sort of service might people expect.  This is going to help in the area making choices between waiting for BT/BDUK to upgrade it maybe sometime one day and many still not getting a true superfast service due to distance from the cab vs paying a lot more per month for a more certain Gigaclear installation.
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: FTTC speed vs Distance

Aluminium cable might seriously affect (badly) the speeds compared to similar distances with all copper.
I have no experience with aluminium cable (I'm glad to say).
500m of copper is easily good for 60Mb/s+ (initially 70Mb/s+).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
hex
Grafter

There is a table of estimated speeds over at thinkbroadband here - only have experience of fairly short lines here which seem to fit into it fine (although the estimate from 77 32 33 seems to be well over the suggested speed so not sure how accurate the table is).    Aluminum cable will cause the estimates to be lower/tail off more rapidly I would imagine so probably not much help in gather accurate data.
Thunderclap
Grafter

As 77 32 33 suggests, from my observations too, line speed for copper at 500m are close to what you see in the adverts speeds. Provided the copper is clean. FTTC to next door gets a solid 35Mbps with ~600m of Victorian infrastructure.
BUT Aluminium cable? Yikes. If it's not already 50% bauxite, it soon will be. Really BT should rip it out and replace it with something made of copper or silica. Your line speeds at that data rate will be, urm, not placing ANY bets as really, it's not fit for any purpose other than recycling into bottle tops. You pay line rental, not rusting away rubbish metal rental.
You might do better dumping wires altogether and installing a 4G enabled router unless, you can get FTTH when data rates can peak at 160Mbps - if your close-ish enough to the cabinet.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: x47c
'cos at present there is no intention to upgrade them under BDUK. However Gigaclear might be interested instead in putting in FTTH

BBC Radio 4 You And Yours yesterday discussed Gigaclear trying to provide customers in one area with a service only for BT to decide at the last minute that it would offer a public subsidised service. Gigaclear, being unable to compete with the subsidised offer had to walk away leaving residents with the promise of an inferior service to the one they would have got from Gigaclear.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01rjt1g
x47c
Grafter

Thanks for the replies - I was aware of the situation in Wiltshire and G's withdrawal from that project.
It all seems odd to me there in that if Gigaclear had got the required number of signups to start building then the area is by definition "superfast BB commercially viable".
So by law no public BDUK money can be spent on it - BDUK is only for areas that are not viable
So why is BDUK Wiltshire now suddenly covering it - unless of course behind the scenes BT is putting in 100% of the money to do so and nothing is coming from the council or HMG.
As regards our area, those closest to the 2 cabinets are not really that interested.  They see FTTH as something for the long term future and are not prepared to pay for it now - they reckon BT will in the end upgrade the local cabinets.
While those further away totally hate BT for the existing *** service they get, have no confidence in BT FTTC providing anything remotely superfast and will do anything to get away from them forever.
Some see it in their interest to encourage Gigaclear not in the hope that they succeed or that they themselves might commit to order but merely that it will result in a sudden attitude re-adjustment by BT - exactly as per the Wiltshire situation who will then upgrade the 2 local cabinets...like tomorrow.
It is Machiavellian vipers nest round here.
...and that before we start on those who don't understand anything and think BT provide everything and the internet and email are the same thing. .........
There are those including me that believe that there is a specific reason BT are not upgrading the cabinets each serving around 220 homes despite the fibre spine running directly past one of them along to others that they ARE upgrading.  This is the business of the Aluminum cable.  BT know that even if they upgrade to FTTC the proportion of the subscribers on these cabinets that actually will get above the 'superfast' criterion is actually quite small.  So they don't want to do it as it will make their figures of 'new' superfast rated subscribers per £ spent look grim.  Meanwhile other cabinets in the adjacent hamlets serving fewer number of subscribers in a more densely populated cabinet service area are being upgraded.
If true and given that BT won't replace the underground D-side Ali' with copper maybe they are waiting till maybe 2018 to 2020 when FTTdp (Fibre to the distribution point) might become the next stage on how to fix the problem areas.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

interesting, to note that not so long ago, when fibre was being hailed as " the " stuff to use, copper wire was being denigrated, as "old technology",... and here we are now saying that BT should ditch Ally in favour of copper wire !...  ah well, what goes around.........
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

What do new build houses use?
Aluminium or Copper?
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

mine was connected with copper and fibre (although bt never actually connected the fibre line in the exchange) when it was built in 2009
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you