cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FREE Wifi hotspots in the UK

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

FREE Wifi hotspots in the UK

Wyevales Garden Centres, and various other retail outlets, offer a FREE wifi hotspot connection, principally for their customers....
does anyone know of a website that lists up to date information (well reasonably up to date).. on FREE wifi hotspot locations?  (UK only wanted, but may be worldwide with a seach )
12 REPLIES
Fixes: 104

Re: FREE Wifi hotspots in the UK

no, but I know know that McDonalds, Burger King and Starbucks (if you have a reward card) do it for free.
Will Moderate For Thanks
randpwar
Grafter

I have a free wi-fi finder app on my ipod, I presume Android etc apps are also available……..it this is at all appropriate to you.......

Or you could try      http://www.myhotspots.co.uk/
Community Veteran

Was looking for Laptop usage... so not sure if phone ones are same....
have found this site...
http://wi-fi.jiwire.com/hot-spot-directory-browse-by-state.htm?country_id=226&pay_free=both&location...
you need to click on the "area"   e.g. England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland..... and a new page opens with alphabetical location listing and number available.  It is supposed to be a be "selective" to keep it "up to date"... so may not list all available... e.g.,... it does not list any for Portsmouth, yet there are Mcdonalds and jd weatherspoon  ..... Undecided
Will check out your linky
Fixes: 47

Community Veteran

Interesting one Strat...... Portsmouth has One ..... and Southampton have none ! !  (  to quote a well known person on tv....... "I don`t believe it") Cheesy
Fixes: 47

Yep...none of them seem 'complete'. Maybe we should start our own Lips are sealed
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

IMO wifi is a thing of the past now that we have 3G. Sure, its handy for your own network at home etc but i personally think public wifi is pretty pointless now. It's insecure, limited range, and a bit limiting imo.
That said, guess who'll probably end up using it now i've said it  Roll eyes
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
itsme
Grafter

Until Ofcom force the cost of data charges down, especially when roaming there will be a need for Wifi. The largest free WiFi is BT and Fon if your a a BT broadband customer or a member of the Fon community. http://www.bt.com/static/wa/wifi/pages/findhotspots.html?s_cid=con_FURL_btfon/hotspots
gswindale
Grafter

Quote from: okrzynska
IMO wifi is a thing of the past now that we have 3G

So that's free wifi or £7.50/mb when roaming in Europe then?  That's based on my T-Mobile PAYG deal (don't use a mobile enough to warrant a contract).  Fortunately abroadband.com seem to do a €0.59/mb deal throughout most of Europe & elsewhere (data only - no voice calls!)
Community Veteran

But the site is in german... (and i've checked my headers and i'm not accepting afrikaans now).
gswindale
Grafter

It's in english here - have you changed your language settings on the drop down flag? 
The company is part of Telekom Austria.
Community Veteran

Nope, didn't see that  Grin