cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIFA report into corruption

Community Veteran

FIFA report into corruption

So...FIFA in it's infinite wisdom, decided not to publish the report by an American lawyer, Michael Garcia, into the bidding processes for the next two World Cups.
However, FIFA's "independent" ethics adjudicator, Han Joachim Eckert (who also happens to be a German judge), today published his report which was suppose to summarise the full Michael Garcia report.
Han Joachim Eckert's report cleared Qatar and Russia of any wrongdoing in the bidding process, but it was very critical of the English FA.
In an unexpected twist, Michael Garcia has said Han Joachim Eckert's report "contains numerous materially incomplete and erroneous representations of the facts and conclusions" of his own report.
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: FIFA report into corruption

I think it's funny how in some quarters bribes are seen as only involving money so lavish banquets and gifts are OK.
Community Veteran

How anyone can take this report seriously is beyond me. A few hundred pages condensed to 90 some, and FIFA will not let us see the full report Undecided
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Don't think it will be long until Michael Garcia's report is leaked and appears in The Daily Mail.
I'd personally like to see national teams take a stance and boycott the Qatar world cup.
Community Veteran

Quote from: AndyH
Michael Garcia has said Han Joachim Eckert's report "contains numerous materially incomplete and erroneous representations of the facts and conclusions" of his own report.

Remember he's a lawyer and they are very careful with their wording.  Wink
Any normal person trying to express what he thought would probably be uttering a string of libellous opinions and accusations laced with a good sprinkling of expletives!  Crazy
But are we in the slightest surprised given this is FIFA? Obviously not.  Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

The suppression of detail from the investigation speaks volumes in itself.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

I'd be surprised if Michael Garcia doesn't call a press conference to protect his own reputation.