Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FFP3 Face Masks. Valves..

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

FFP3 Face Masks. Valves..

We're told that FFP3 is the best mask to get - filtering out virtually everything (I'll disagree with that but more on that later) and in recent days the press has been all over the story of the government mulling over it being compulsory for everyone to wear a mask or old rags etc in order to stop us spreading the plague.

Am I the only one who has noticed that these have an OUTLET VALVE on them? - to allow exhaled air (and VIRUS'S) straight out.

The world has gone nuts. Don't use a mask, they don't work. But use a mask if you're NHS because they DO work. But nobody else should use one because they don't. But now they do work so you should consider using one to stop yourself spreading the germs - straight through the outlet valve...

Our country is the laughing stock of the world.

Oh yes.. and if you ever try using an angle grinder to remove rust from metal for a few hours and use one of these, blow your nose after - being sure to put some snot rag up your nose. You'll soon see a lot of dirt come back out hence my doubt about their actual effectiveness.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
58 REPLIES 58
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Re: FFP3 Face Masks. Valves..

China is the supplier of the virus/plague..

China is the supplier of the face masks, PPE, and equipment to deal with it...

China is making money out of the situation...

No other country is .....

Hmmm..... so... who does not think that China is taking over the world, without having a war to prove its might  ? ?  

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

Yes,  pity about the outlet valve - and most masks are 'dust masks' - hardly the kind to filter out viruses measured in nanometre or microns.  Social distancing is the thing for the public, medical staff wear masks ( no matter how ineffective they are ) because they cannot treat a patient from 2 metres away...

China is a very strange and opaque place, happy to take money from rest of the world but not interact responsibly or behave properly with it and don't mention its human rights.  China sticks with communism and single party politics because democracy is just too difficult and messy, They do however like capitalism when it suits them and can be controlled by the state -  China will not start a war, they have an aged population and the western powers have enough atomic stuff to wipe it off the face of the earth more than several times.  It will continue to use proxies and puppets to cause trouble - while quietly buying up everything.

The rest of the world really needs to change its relationship with China, they have proved they do not play by normal rules and cannot be trusted.  Not made in China is the new label to look out for.

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

Here are some things to think about how effective masks are with things as incredibly small as viruses ... not very at all.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/face-masks-should-there-be-a-cover-up-?utm_medium=email&utm_camp...

nozzer
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@wotsup 

Surgical face masks have long been known to be very poor at protecting the wearer from infections, but they are far more effective at preventing airborne droplets from being dispersed a long distance. The idea isn't to protect the wearer, its to protect other people. That means that everyone has to wear one though and also practise good hand hygiene.

"These results suggest an important role for aerosols in transmission of influenza virus and that surgical facemasks worn by infected persons are potentially an effective means of limiting the spread of influenza". This conclusion will also apply to Covid19 because it is droplet borne.

https://www.st-va.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3591312/

idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@shutter wrote:China is the supplier of the virus/plague..

China is the supplier of the face masks, PPE, and equipment to deal with it...

Maybe time to check facts when it comes to coronavirus types. SARs, Mers, even your common cold..........all Corona types.

As for China being a supplier of PPE, they probably are. I'd be surprised to find it otherwise given that in a lot of countries in Asia, people, generally, wear face masks while outside as a normal every day thing. Maybe that is why they have got on top of the problem whereas here in Europe and the USA, we can sneeze, cough as much as you like over the next person. It ain't going to do them any harm, now is it? Fact that droplets travel more than 2 metres and stay in the air for 10 minutes has nothing to do with it. And you wonder why you go down with an illness.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
7up
Community Veteran

@nozzer wrote:

@wotsup 

The idea isn't to protect the wearer, its to protect other people. That means that everyone has to wear one

But that's the point i'm making. The outlet valves allow the virus to be exhaled back OUT of the mask - in effect, they are useless at protecting others from the wearer - which is the only thing that is making the government mull over asking us all to use them in the first place.

Typical left / right foot scenario - yet again.

If it's all about protecting others, then going with a basic FFP1 mask (which i've been using for weeks) is the better option - no outlet valve means all your germs are caught on the mask itself internally instead of being exhaled.

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

Surgical face masks are to prevent body fluids and bacteria being passed to open patient wounds - and a bacteria is to a virus what a blue whale is to a mouse.

nozzer
Community Veteran

@wotsup  @7up 

An NHS recommended FFP3 mask does not have a valve. They are of the folded type. Valved types are available but they aren't normally used. At least my daughter hasn't seen them in the hospital where she works. And for clarity, the government is not asking everyone to use valved types. So no left/right footwork there!

https://www.ukmeds.co.uk/hygiene-face-mask-ffp3-n95

DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

@nozzer wrote:

@wotsup 

Surgical face masks have long been known to be very poor at protecting the wearer from infections, but they are far more effective at preventing airborne droplets from being dispersed a long distance. The idea isn't to protect the wearer, its to protect other people. That means that everyone has to wear one though and also practise good hand hygiene.

"These results suggest an important role for aerosols in transmission of influenza virus and that surgical facemasks worn by infected persons are potentially an effective means of limiting the spread of influenza". This conclusion will also apply to Covid19 because it is droplet borne.

https://www.st-va.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3591312/

You do  know a [-Censored-]wit like [Removed] isn't going to let a little thing like facts get in the way of an opportunity to be a bigoted xenophobe right?

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Avoidance of swear filter edited as per Forum rules.

7up
Community Veteran

@nozzer wrote:

@wotsup  @7up 

An NHS recommended FFP3 mask does not have a valve.

That's the problem though.. my partner is a nurse and has come home from hospital with 3 different valved types that they gave her to trial fit - they all have valves. They're on the living room table and i can literally see them by turning my head 90 degrees to the right. It seems that the NHS isn't even remaining logical about this..

@DaveyH wrote:

You do  know a [-Censored-]wit like [Removed]

Your bullying post has been reported. Not for the first time either. I reported a previous one you made against the same member. Grow up.

nozzer
Community Veteran

@7up 

If you look at the HSE specs for respirators, even valved types are extremely effective. I'm not sure why you and others think they wouldn't be to be honest. I can't find any evidence that the valves let sufficient guff out to be a danger. It's not like it's like an open hole. Try one of the ones you have and see if a strong cough can be felt by your other half at two metres or more.

Mook
Champion
Fixes: 2

What does it matter if they have a valve or not. The air has to escape from the mask some how, otherwise it would blow up like a balloon. I am assuming here that the valve has a filter on it for the very purpose cited.

nozzer
Community Veteran

@Mook 

They are apparently slightly more comfortable to wear. The valve does have a filter and baffles to redirect any exhaled detritus! Or phlegm for short. 😁

DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

@nozzer wrote:

@7up 

I'm not sure why you and others think they wouldn't be to be honest. 

Because he loves a conspiracy theory....