cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FBI cracked iPhone

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

FBI cracked iPhone

If I was an annoyed FBI executive I'd announce that my people had managed to "crack" the secure iPhone of a criminal despite getting no help from Apple. I'd do this even if my team hadn't succeeded in the crack process.
In this case Apple would spend months chasing around trying to fix a non-existent security fault and the Criminals would stop using iPhones as they wouldn't trust them again.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
28 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Re: FBI cracked iPhone

I had exactly the same thought when I read the news article.  Roll eyes
The entire story never seemed credible in the first place.  Crazy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

@AlaricAdair - I assume this is based on the assumption that the FBI would have lost the case against Apple to break its own security?
Apple also asked the FBI to pass on details on any vulnerabilities it (read the Israeli company that allegedly did it) had found, now to me that's a bit cheeky considering Apple weren't interested in helping the FBI but are wanting to gain information that would make their phones even more secure!
Of course Apple are now going to spend lots of time and money in researching this apparent breach so that they can find and plug it. If anything Apple may well go out of their way to increase the security of their equipment, confident in the fact that they would win any pending or future court case.
I think this is a 'Watch this space" story.
nadger
Rising Star

Personally I've got no sympathy for Apple.
Community Veteran

I don't think much of apple but....
I think people have a right to privacy.
I don't think faceless bureaucrats have a right to know all our personal business.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Would Apple have the ability to crack it's own system ?
If the answer is yes why did it not get the FBI to give it the phone, take the messages off it and return it to the FBI and keep everything out of the press so no one would be any wiser ?
If Apple were unable to crack it's own system then why not say so rather than refuse to do so ?
The action taken makes little sense and can only do damage to Apple.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Quote from: gleneagles

I don't think this is really anything to do with Apple's ability to break their own encryption, I would assume they could do it with ease, after all they designed it.
If the answer is yes why did it not get the FBI to give it the phone, take the messages off it and return it to the FBI and keep everything out of the press so no one would be any wiser ?

This makes good sense, but maybe paranoia set in about keeping it quite, all it takes is one unhappy ex-employee, and the brown stuff is all over the fan!
Apple chose not to do it as it would set a precedence thus defeating the point of the encryption and undermine the right a user to their privacy.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Maybe I'm mis-understanding this whole thing but Apple's stance here seems similar to someone saying 'I don't care if you have a search warrant, we've installed high security locks here and we won't open them for you'.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

the real question is, why is a criminal using an iphone with icloud enabled in the first place.
idiot.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Mook
(read the Israeli company that allegedly did it)

A 12 year old by all accounts Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

If that is true then he will be on a well paid job as an a security advisor to Apple.
Wink
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

To be clear the FBI wasn't asking them to crack it, They were asking Apple to rewrite the OS with a couple of restrictions removed  so the FBI could brute force their way in without causing the phone to be wiped.

Have you not being paying attention? This is why Apple spat their dummies in the first place!
They wanted the order sealed, and when it became clear the FBI  were going to go public and turn it into a political [Censored] storm Apple pushed back and turned it into the PR/Marketing opportunity.
If Apple were unable to crack it's own system then why not say so rather than refuse to do so ?
The action taken makes little sense and can only do damage to Apple.

The modified OS doesn't exist (with the restrictions removed) and they objected to the FBI  trying to force them to write it
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

Quote from: chenks76
the real question is, why is a criminal using an iphone with icloud enabled in the first place.
idiot.

It wasn't his phone it was his works phone (San Bernardino County Public Health Authority). They destroyed their personal phones and computers before they went on their killing spree!
Apple had already handed over iCloud data they had from that phone but because either an San Bernardino County employee or the FBI (it isnt clear) performed a password reset at some point shortly after the attack it stopped backing up and they think the data they have is incomplete...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

that really went whoosh over your head there didn't it !
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4