cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FAT People:Should the NHS stop treating them?

thisoldman
Grafter

FAT People:Should the NHS stop treating them?

Last night in ma wee village there was an almighty  caboodle in the  village hall /cinema.
A woman of truly gigantic proportions , who had spent most of the evening eating popcorn and sweeties.and drinking  excessive cokes,   emitted the loudest scream iv ever heard in my life.
She nearly caused  mass panic in the dark. It transpired (to cut a long story short) that she had got herself stuck in her seat and could not move/get out. Eventually (to save boring you all and get to my main message) the fireservice were called and they cut her out of the seat.   As some wag noted they should have cut off her gob.
Now having read a  medical report on the rising cost to the nhs and the substantial increase in people having gastric band operations, I am wondering, should the nhs continue to treat Fat People.
I accept and empathise with people who suffer from  genuine eating disorders but i am informed by  my learned colleagues in the nhs research facility that the vast majority of  obese people seen by hospitals, suffer from self inflicted obesive disease due entirely to bad diets, junk food, laziness,etc etc.
Many A&E depts no longer treat drunks,so should the nhs embrace the same philosophy for fat people, who do not suffer from
genuine eating disorders.
A few weeks ago I visited my local out patient  hospital, which was running an obesity clinic that day. I was absolutely gobsmacked to see so many fat patients, passing the time ,eating junk food,chocs and biscuits, which they had purchased from the hospital coffee shop right opposite the obesity clinic.
Walking through the village last tuesday I was shocked at the number of fat kids ,fat women,fat adults that I saw.
Perhaps its time to ban KFC, Mcdonalds, and chip shops and other similar fast food/takeaways.
79 REPLIES
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: FAT People:Should the NHS stop treating them?

Keep the chip shops.
You can ban the American junk "foods" though. Grin

thisoldman
Grafter

Cheesy  well a fox,  if you keep on eating chips you will have to pay for a super size coffin and thats expensive Cheesy
thisoldman
Grafter

deleted
Community Veteran

thisoldman, I think you're starting to tread a fine line with that post, which I expect at least one or two Plusnet employes will see. People's weight can be a sensitive topic so can I please ask you to refrain from having digs at people about it.
thisoldman
Grafter

Dear Be3G  tx you for advice.
I do understand that weight is a serious issue.It is also becomming a major issue for the nhs.
My point in the post, is simply to ask, should in these days of austerity measures, the nhs continue to treat people who's weight problems are self inflicted.

If you still feel this an inappropriate topic ill go back to bed Wink
pierre_pierre
Grafter

They call this place Cholesterol corner, it has McD, KFC, Pasta Hut, Franlie & Bennies, Brewers Fayre and Fowlers
Community Veteran

Quote from: thisoldman
If you still feel this an inappropriate topic ill go back to bed Wink

I think the topic is an important one so I'm happy for it to be discussed, it just needs to avoid getting personal (and I see you've deleted the dubious comment, so thank you). Smiley
thisoldman
Grafter

My pleasure Be3G:      Please feel free to advise me if i make any other deviant posts as i do wish to maintain my membership of the Be3G fan club.
Cheesy
magnetism2772
Grafter

this bankers government is all about making money trickle up from
those at the bottom to those at the top
the city of london ,  londons financial  bankers and its insurers ,
all their shareholders and the aristocracy  have gambled there own and many others wealth and all of our prosperity away
so be careful with what ideas you bring forward
as the policy of its  Westminster politicians  is to refinance the greedy lot
on the NHS or any other political issue I 'd keep  any ideas to myself if I were you  less government look in and think what a good idea
well  do that
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: thisoldman
Cheesy  well a fox,  if you keep on eating chips you will have to pay for a super size coffin and thats expensive Cheesy

Am I allowed to eat a fish and a handful of chips every few weeks without abuse from those old men? Angry
A standard British chip contains a much greater potato/fat ratio than those "fries" served up by the foreigners.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

[quote=A Fox is Evil]without abuse from those old men?  Angry
I think 'thisoldman' is trying to distract you from the fact that it is old people who are the biggest drain on the NHS budget !
[quote=York Report - NHS: Improving Service Provision]it was estimated that people aged 65 and over use almost two thirds of general and acute hospital beds, accounting for nearly 40% of the NHS budget, while social services spent 50% of its budget on that age group.
N/A

Maybe we should have another thread with the title THIN: Should the NHS stop treating them? I am referring, of course, to those people who suffer from anorexia and/or bulimia.  I'd hazard a guess that there would not be the same condemnation and yet they are both eating disorders.
There are many, many conditions that are entirely preventable - for example, what about the high incidence of babies born with genetic abnormalities to Asian families who tend to inter-marry, particularly first cousins?  That is preventable so should we deny treatment to them?  Then there are people who insist on pursuing dangerous sports and wind up costing the taxpayer thousands of pounds fixing them up after accidents.
Once you go down the slippery slope of denying people treatment there is no knowing where it would end.
Community Veteran

when did we become selective about who would qualify for treatment on the nhs?  everyone pays in, everyone gets treated.  we pick up the slack on the few duds among us because we regard ourselves as civilised.
it might help if the quacks would listen for half a mo' and consider feeding potassium iodide to their busted sofas.  i'll bet most of them have under-functioning thyroids due to lack of raw materials and there was a time when the salt sold in this country was iodised to take care of things like 'derbyshire neck'.  if the body needs a substance it ain't getting, it will urge the owner to eat and eat in the hope of getting a small portion of what it needs.  once it gets what it needs it sits back and relaxes allowing the owner to eat a reasonable amount instead of overloading.
i've only ever met one doctor who would take that point seriously and she's german.  oddly enough, it's possible to get potassium iodide in tablet form in germany, but not here.
if we start getting picky about who to treat and why, it won't be long before we leave folk lying on the hillsides because 'they got themselves into trouble and the whirlybirds are expensive to fly'.  i don't want to live in a country that behaves like america.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I wouldnt mind if they only treated those who paid in Crazy