cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F1

PitchBlack
Grafter

F1

After not missing a race for the best part of 25 years despite all the ridiculous changes, F1 has now finally turned into a joke.
13 REPLIES
PowerLee
Rising Star

Re: F1

F1 has moved on, it cant stay in the past like an old dinosaur.
The only thing that annoys me about F1 is Suzi Perry  Angry
PitchBlack
Grafter

Personally, I never watched F1 for the commentators, I watched it for the racing. Unfortunately with all the new rules and regulations racing now takes a back seat.
F1 has moved on, it cant stay in the past like an old dinosaur.

People want to see 22 cars racing flat out, not drivers having to conserve fuel and rubber. Give me the old dinosaur racing any day.
PowerLee
Rising Star

F1 has always been about the cutting edge of technology, 2.4 naturally aspirated V8 engines are in the big wide world old fashioned, road car engines are getting smaller with turbo charger assistance.
The reason Honda is coming back in 2015 to supply engine's to McLaren is the 1.6 V6 turbo hybrid power plant F1 now uses is more relevant to where road car engine technology is going in the future.
There was plenty of good racing today & when the reliability get's better there will be even more better racing, today was the first race under radically changed rules, give the sport time to settle in to a new era  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Formula 1 traffic jams are boring..... make the tracks wide enough for overtaking. and you will remove the traffic jams.... usually first off the grid is being chased for 20 odd laps and still comes in first at the end... nobody gets a chance to overtake, cos the tracks are too dangerous to chance it,.......... before the next corner/chicane suddenly appears...  by the time they get to a straight bit of track, where overtaking is (almost) possible, they are at the top end of the speed range for that section, and have to think about changing down and slowing down before they get in the "racing line" for the  next corner...
PitchBlack
Grafter

It has been happening for years though, stopping pre season testing to give the smaller teams a fighting chance, having a spending cap to give the smaller teams a fighting chance, introducing DRS to aid in overtaking, putting engine limiters on, and up until today, the smaller teams were still at the back. TBH  I nearly stopped watching it last year when the tyres were lasting 3 or 4 laps. I didn't like it when they stopped refuelling, but I could understand that for safety concerns,
the 1.6 V6 turbo hybrid power plant F1 now uses is more relevant to where road car engine technology is going in the future.

...and therein lies the answer, F1 is supposed to be the pinnacle of motor racing, and shouldn't be a testing ground for road cars, they should use touring cars for that.

Anyway all these are my opinions, and I am glad you are still enjoying it, but  I have watched my last F1 race.
To quote DC, " its formula one Ben, but not as we know it"
Mayfly
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I use to be an avid fan back in the 80s then grew tired of it and got interested about 5 years but again lost interest a couple of years ago, mostly a boring procession now.
nadger
Rising Star

I enjoyed yesterdays race ( albeit BBC1 Highlights) with changes in regs removing recent predictability.
Must say that I didn't agree with Ricciardo being disqualified because of some strange fuel flow rate rule.
My thoughts are if you use fuel at too higher rate you run out and don't finish the race.
Community Veteran

I'm with you 100% on that one Nadger - I hope the FIA get their bottoms handed to them over this with proof of a faulty fuel flow meter.
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I like F1 for a number of reasons - but as I'm totally against the idea of a monpoly paid satelitte provider and it being part of the Sky empire I refuse to use it.So I feel it a great shame that our national broadcaster cant show all the races and not just highlights.

TORPC
Grafter

I get dizzy going round in circles, of various shapes or sizes Roll eyes
PowerLee
Rising Star

The BBC letting Gary Anderson go the other month was another dumbing down of there coverage, he didn't want to leave, he was pushed out.
One of the best bit's of the BBC coverage was Gary explaining technical things in simple terms ( with added pen & notepad drawings ) that anyone could basically understand.
I'm just glad Red Bull & finger boy are struggling to get to grips with the new rules, it's been totally boring these last few years watching 1 Red Bull car just basically run away with the championships.
Community Veteran

Quote from: PowerLee
The BBC letting Gary Anderson go

Hadn't realised that, I just assumed he hadn't gone to Oz for a race with only minimal BBC coverage.
His insights were excellent.  Cry
PowerLee
Rising Star

Gary Anderson now writes pieces for Autosport magazine.
BBC's idiotic own goal loss is Autosports gain.