Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F1 - next year without the main teams

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

F1 - next year without the main teams

I wonder what the BBC will do having spent all that money on F1 screening
Sky News
Ferrari, McLaren, Brawn GP, Renault, Toyota, BMW Sauber, Red Bull Racing and Toro Rosso have all declined to enter F1 for 2010.
13 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Re: F1 - next year without the main teams

True!
I can't see that happening though.  There'll be some 11th hour agreement.
Fixes: 102

They'll probably demand some back for loss of commercialness of it all..
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

I think this is fascinating.
Having read extracts from the letters, the FIA and FOTA  are not getting along very well at all are they?
I'm not sure which way it will go, these teams are well resourced and have tough, dynamic business staff who could manage a breakaway (which has been threatened before). An FI grid with Williams and Force India, plus a couple of teams new to F1, will not capture my attention.
On the other hand we could be witnessing high level multi million dollar brinksmanship of the highest order. Perhaps FOTA are flexing their muscles to try and whittle away the grip the FIA have over the sport?
If the BBC don't have this situation covered contractually I would be surprised.
scootie
Grafter

yeah 11th hour job.
if they dont an itv gets the rights to the break away f1 i cetainly anit watchin that.
ive enjoyed this years grand prix on 2 reasons new team kick butt an bbc with no adverts makes such diffrence when watching somthing live
maranello
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I personally believe that this is not necessarily a bad thing. Far too much is spent by the teams, but IMHO an enforced budget cap regulation is not  the answer. By all means let the manufacturers leave and form a breakaway series, but that will result in there being less money around in terms of commercial rights and sponsorship, so in effect imposing reduced spending, which is exactly what they appear to be against.
But I believe this dispute is more about manufacturers wanting more of a stake in the running of the sport, and those that run it wanting to assert their authority. Neither sides in the dispute appear willing to compromise.
My other car isn't a Ferrari
Community Veteran

Quote from: Santiago
... An FI grid with Williams and Force India, plus a couple of teams new to F1, will not capture my attention.

Why not, the teams would be fairly equally matched for the first couple of seasons, would be good close racing I reckon, much less of this 'was overtaken in the pit stop' boring stuff we have at the moment.
Have you watched any A1GP at all ... it is good.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran

Yes I have watched A1GP, I like to watch all motorsport, cars & bikes. However I would not be planning my weekend around F1 to watch Williams and  Force India along with Campos, US F1 and Manor. 
In the current climate, motorsport at the Top level could not sustain F1 and New F1 next season. If FOTA do start their own series F1 won't be around very long.
Community Veteran

This a good article by Andrew Benson from his blog
He goes into detail of the pros and cons of the disagreement between the FIA and FOTA
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/andrewbenson/2009/06/f1_can_survive_current_breakaw.html
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Sky Breaking News
Eight leading Formula One teams have agreed not to launch a rival championship next year after reaching a deal with motor sport's governing body.
BBC News Site
F1 resolution found, says Mosley
An agreement has been reached between Formula 1's governing body and the teams to prevent a breakaway series, says FIA president Max Mosley.
The two parties had been engulfed in a bitter row over planned budgetary and technical changes for the new season.
But it appears a resolution has not been found, with Mosley agreeing not to stand for re-election as part of the deal "now there is peace," he said.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

The big problem I have with F1 racing, is that it isn`t racing..... it is a game of first of the grid,to the first corner, then follow me for the next 2.5 hours.... The tracks are not wide enough to allow for overtaking safely, and at 250mph only fools take chances for the sake of a few points extra at the end of the season...
I hope they do split off, and then perhaps they will find alternate tracks where they can RACE against each other, as they did before bernie ecclescake got in on the act, and started to change the rules that also affected the way the tracks were (re-)constructed.
Good luck to them,  Let`s see some real "Formula One Racing " , and not F1 Advertising opportunity
itsme
Grafter

2.5 hours you must be watching some other racing as F1 has a maximum race time of 2 hours. Wink
As for the tracks I don't believe they are to blame for the lack of overtaking as to the fact the cars cut down on driver mistakes. Bring back a gear stick and clutch pedal.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

itsme.... next time you see a F1 race, and get a "drivers" view, as they take the "racing line" around the bends, just check how much clearance there is on either side...... I think you will find that the tracks are comparatively narrow, and the actual space on either side of the "racing line" is probably not much more than the width of another race car. Most of the cars seem to have a very similar "straight line speed", or accelleration factor on a straight line, which only leaves the corners as suitable(?) places to overtake..... and I am inclined to agree there is too much computer control, and "engine management", and yes... bring back the gear stick and the clutch pedal (attached to the relevant parts of course! ! !).. together with wider tracks, we may just get back to "proper racing" again.
Community Veteran

As I understand it the width of the track is not the problem.
Lack of overtaking is due in part to the cars aerodynamic systems causing instability in the 'dirty' air when they get close to the car in front.
This means they are not able to get a tow in the slipstream which helps when overtaking.
Rules on car design that were introduced for 2009 season were meant to improve the stability in the overtake zone. These changes, although making some improvement, have not been successful in creating more overtaking.
I think also the drivers and teams are a little too careful in the race because if they are pushing on and trying to get past they often get penalised by the race officials with things like drive through penalties.