Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F1 fans - Bad news for some

SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 53

F1 fans - Bad news for some

Well it has finally happened. F1 from 2019 will only be available to Sky subscribers  http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/mar/23/sky-buys-exclusive-rights-to-all-formula-one
Given how bad the racing has been for the past 15 years, it won't be missed much.
21 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: F1 fans - Bad news for some

Typical Sky.  I guess they've lost a lot of customers to BT, Talk-Talk and even Plusnet due to their prices, now they're trying to monopolise certain programming to force some viewers back into their overpriced service.
I, for one, will just do without F1.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero

Yep, I wont be watching come that date.
Even now with half of the races live on free to air, I sometimes forget that it is on.

It's going to go the way of cricket, boxing etc. All only on pay to view, and ever decreasing viewers.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

well it just a money , take the best TV  program
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
RobPN
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: SpendLessTime
Well it has finally happened. F1 from 2019 will only be available to Sky subscribers ...

Which will mean for some that they'll have to download 100% of the races instead of the present 50% - assuming that'll still be possible of course.  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

they won't "have" to.
they can "choose" to download, but they don't "have" to.
Community Veteran

F1's still a thing? Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

It isn't all that bad http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35889736
Sky Sports said the whole of the British Grand Prix would be broadcast on a new "free-to-air" channel.
The five-year deal will also see race highlights shown on the free channel.
also given here http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/10215419/sky-sports-to-show-every-f1-race-live-from-2019-unti... although I don't know whether free to air is via Freeview or the normal Sky subscription
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

F1 lost it`s appeal to me, many years ago, when they redesigned all the tracks,, so that overtaking was nigh on impossible, as a "safety measure"... presumably... so it is now down to the scheming of the designers and the skill of the mechanics, to make the car a "tad" faster than the oppostion, at getting into pole position and staying there.... even pitstops are down to a bare 3 or 4 seconds....

Community Veteran

Quote from: Oldjim
although I don't know whether free to air is via Freeview or the normal Sky subscription

In satellite TV terms, "Free to Air" means it can be received on any satellite receiver without subscription, whether they start it up as a thing on Freeview though is another matter, but being sky, I doubt they would, they'd rather buy out freeview and charge a subscription for it...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Quote from: twocvbloke
but being sky, I doubt they would, they'd rather buy out freeview and charge a subscription for it...

or they could simply use the existing channel they have on Freeview, called "Pick".
of course, that doesn't fit with the obvious anti-sky agenda you have.
Community Veteran

Quote from: chenks76
of course, that doesn't fit with the obvious anti-sky agenda you have.

Wow, talk about jumping to conclusions... Grin
It's a known fact that the murdoch empire wants all media to be subscription-only, uncle rupe HATES the BBC for it's world-standard example in programming for everyone (whether we agree to the TV license or not), and he really cannot stand the fact that TV channels once monopolised by sky are now easily accessible to "the great unwashed", so, it's not me with an agenda, my only part in being "anti-sky" it is I don't subscribe to sky, not since I dropped 'em in 2003... Grin
SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero

@oldjim
Notice only the British GP will be shown in full free to air, this year there are another 20 races and given the speed Bernie is adding them it will probably be up to 24 races by 2020.
Also shown in full does not necessarily mean live. Although if Sky didn't show it live then the Culture Secretary may use his powers that ring fence the crown jewels of UK sporting events and force Sky to do so. The FA Cup, Grand National are examples of events that must be free to air enacted by legislative powers.
I would assume Sky would show it on Pick as they use said channel to encourage new subscribers and it is available free to air on Freeview and Freesat.
But still not a good move by F1 to stop the decreasing viewership in the UK by locking it into a pay system. F1 will get more money but less eyes which will affect advertisers and sponsors.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

I agree stupid move by Bernie ,, F1 deserves terrestrial TV
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
nadger
Rising Star

What else does one expect from an 85 year old billionaire who can't find his way through a revolving door  Wink
Thinks  Roll eyes By the time terrestrial coverage ends I'll be Bernie's current age but less wealthy  Cry