cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eye test

Community Veteran

Eye test

After a lot of pressure from work collegues I took a trip to specsavers today for an eye test. £150 later and using a computer has become so much easier. Would strongly recommend a visit for any of you who are squinting at their new 19" widescreen monitor as I was! Especially if the optition is as attractive as the one I got, LOL!
17 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Re: Eye test

I just need to work out how to get my employer to foot the bill for £300+ glasses Wink
Community Veteran

As Peter says it worth checking with HR, as they may `contribute` towards glasses, but don't expect them to cover the whole cost of a flash pair.
The company I work for pays from the eye test, but specsavers, often have eye test for £10 vouchers in local papers.
Chilly
James
Grafter

Flash pair?  The lenses cost £275 on their own!  Shocked
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Same problem here - fortunately my optician was running a special offer - buy these frames and the lenses and frames are half price - I bet they don't get many people sticking such expensive lenses in rubbish frames
Simon_M
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
Flash pair?  The lenses cost £275 on their own!  Shocked

I sympathise. I have vari-focals that also have to correct astigmatism. Apparently, my nose doesn't have the same sort of bridge as everybody else & glasses slip down, so I have to have an incredibly light rimless pair. Less is more (money) where frames are concerned. Then there's the anti-reflective coating that's pretty much essential for night driving and computer work.
I'm overdue for a new pair - starting to peer at my 20" screen (it's 1600x1200, which is my excuse) & I'm expecting a bill around £500.
Ouch.
James
Grafter

I have a similar problem with my nosie (I think before and after someone decided to break it Wink)
I'm generally 6" or less from the 24" monitor which is always fun.  I don't need varifocals.
Yet.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

According to the Health & Safety Executive:-
VDU (sic) users are entitled to an eyesight test.
However, any decent employer will pay for glasses with equivalent styling of safety glasses (i.e. not the dogs bits).

Simon_M
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
I'm generally 6" or less from the 24" monitor which is always fun.  I don't need varifocals.

I think that probably says that you do.  Shocked
I did get an eye test paid for by my employer when the HSE first introduced that.
Nowadays, it just means I move the money from one pocket to another!
Trouble is, the eye test itself is neither here nor there in the overall cost of a complete set of new frames & lenses.
Anyway, back to doing some work to pay for the next pair.  Cry
James
Grafter

Not quite.  I'm extremely short sighted, fundally albinistic, astymatic, suffer from nystagmus, have a lazy right eye, optic nerve is too small and there's too much pigment in my retina (I blame my parents). I can read a number plate from about six feet, hence why I need to get very close to and have a very big screen.
You can imagine how complicated my perscription actually is.  Adding varifocals (which I'm fairly sure aren't needed) would probably start pushing my lenses towards the four figure range.
Community Veteran

My employer pays for the eyesight test, and will contribute to the cost of the specs.  Basically, they will pay for basic lens and frames, and I pay for the rest.  If I remember correctly (memory is the other thing that goes with age) it amounted to around £80 off my last eye test and glasses.
John   Cool
itsme
Grafter

@hulls
I assume that the specs that your employee contribute to you only wear when using a VDU? Believe the law only obligate an employer to contribute if glasses are needed specifically for VDU work and the employee's normal glasses are not suitable.
Community Veteran

The other situation is when safety glasses are a mandatory requirement. In this circumstance the designs available are very limited.
itsme
Grafter

There is no requirement for an employer to pay for prescription safety glasses. They only need to supply overglasses safety glasses.
Community Veteran

As I spend a lot of my day dealing with the public I don't think going for any frames my employer may have been prepared to pay for would have been a good idea! On the other hand some designer frames are a ridiculous price so I settled somewhere in the middle with specsavers £99 range. Didn't mind paying by myself as I actually use the computer more outside of work for my own little odd jobs.