cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eye Treatment

Fixes: 47

Eye Treatment

Prompted by a post in another topic I wondered about other people and their eyes.

A few years ago I happened to get a small shard of metal in my right eye.

As it was below the surface of my eye-ball it didn't rub on my eyelid and gave me no trouble...initially.

However it became infected and I had severely reduced vision in that eye.

I am very sensitive to anyone touching my eyes so I reluctantly went to see the doctor who immediately referred me to the local hospital eye clinic.

I was very nervous as to what they were going to do but the Doctor sat me down at an eye inspection station, popped in some drops which anaesthetised the eye and then took out the metal shard.

Even though I could roughly see what was going on, because I couldn't feel anything it didn't both me.

The worst part was driving home with a patch over the affected eye.....yes I know I shouldn't have.

So I would say to anyone who, like me is nervous about their eyes...don't worry, it's not as bad as you think.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
12 REPLIES
Fixes: 123

Re: Eye Treatment

I assume it was my post in another thread that prompted you.

My incident took place in 1989 and the best course of action was to get to Moorfield hospital which cost a Taxi fare as well as my mum literally holding my hand as I couldn't open either eye. It was very frightening. I had drops put in both eyes which enabled me to open them enough to be examined but the pain was still bad. Thankfully no permanent damage was done but the right eye was worse than the left and had to have a patch over for a few days.

My dad had cataract operations on both his eyes and seemed to take them in his stride. If it was me I would be terrified as I have always had a morbid fear of going blind hence will never use contacts again.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

I've had two unfortunate episodes with my eyes.

The first was when I was changing a line output transformer on an old Philips G6 television and had hung the hot soldering iron on top of the casing when somebody distracted me and it caught me in the eye just off dead centre. Other than the pain and discomfort the worst part was having several bits of solder picked out of the eyeball when down at the hospital. Eye patch for about three months, but no lasting damage thankfully. The second time I was actually doing some work in a hospital - drilling upwards into a steel beam when some swarf spun down and lodged itself into my eye........ and where was I working? Moorfields Eye Hospital on the City Road!

Quickly sorted of course and what luck eh and again, no lasting damage.

How we survive the years I'll never know, I've had that many close calls I surprised I'm still here.  Smiley

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
cyrilclark1
Rising Star

Quite correct Strat. Last week my left eye started to show signs of a possible torn retina. My GP saw me almost immediately and within a few hours I had got an urgent appointment at my local eye hospital (Dorchester). The staff at the hospital, were without exception brilliant and after a very careful eye examination no tear was found. My symptoms are age related but need to be kept an eye on (joke?).

Like you, I am a bit nervous about my eyes but my advice is never to delay getting treament.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Minivanman wrote:

I've had two unfortunate episodes with my eyes.

The first was when I was changing a line output transformer on an old Philips G6 television

OT I know but it's been many years since I did this myself and to see a reference to a LOPT brings back fond memories.

Fixes: 47

Just as an aside I mentioned driving home with a patch on my eye.

That was really strange not having binocular vision.

However a few years back a friend of mine who had one glass eye from a young age took and passed his driving test.

Having tried driving a short distance with one eye shut I didn't think it possible.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

How eye surgery has progressed! Sixty years ago a friend had a detached retina, He had to lie flat and completely immobile for weeks on end in Moorfields. Now folk are active within a couple of weeks.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

@Strat - here's a relevant reference https://help.rnib.org.uk/help/daily-living/transport-travel/monocular-drive

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

I've worn specs since I was 7 years old, during my late thirties I decided to change to contact lenses, this was largely prompted for my squash playing years. In those days soft lenses were fairly new technology and weren't available for my prescription (myopia with astigmatism) so my choice was restricted to hard lenses. Gas permeable were just starting to be available but were pretty expensive.

As anybody who has worn hard contact lenses will tell you they are a constant battle with dryness and comfort, not to mention the maintenance/cleaning/soaking procedures. After about five years I changed to gas perms, which are meant to be breathable allowing natural eye fluids behind the lenses easing the dryness. I found this had only limited success. As an aside I taught myself to put the lenses in my eyes, in the dark.

Finally due to a change of optician, who, ummed and ahhed through an examination, she sat back and said "I'm recommending you stop wearing contact lenses, for two reasons", constant dust creeping under the lenses was seriously scratching the corneas. The other problem was a build up of protein deposits around the lower edge of the lenses (this can be seen on wearers of corneal lenses as a whitish yellow semi-circular mark between the iris and the white of the eye just at the 6 O'clock position.

Basically, the lenses were damaging my eyes, so I returned to specs. These days lenses have changed and I would probably be able to use extended wear soft lenses that would partially correct my sight, but I would still need to wear glasses for long-distance use. My squash playing days are well behind me now (one of the few things I've really missed with age) so I've never bothered any more.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Infinity
Pro

Strat wrote:

Just as an aside I mentioned driving home with a patch on my eye.

That was really strange not having binocular vision.

However a few years back a friend of mine who had one glass eye from a young age took and passed his driving test.

Having tried driving a short distance with one eye shut I didn't think it possible.

A while back I had a short bout of Shingles.

This caused me to have  double vision which came on overnight.

An emergency appointment at the Opticians, got me a referral to Manchester Eye Hospital two weeks later.

I also visited my Doctor.

I discovered from Internet searches, that if I covered one eye with an eye patch, I could drive, legally too.

(It was better than trying to drive with one eye closed!)

No problems at all driving with an eye patch, I just took it a bit slower, due to impaired depth perception.

After a week, the shingles cleared up, the eyesight went back to normal, again overnight.

No recurrence since.

"Shingles occurs in people who have had chickenpox and is a reactivation of the dormant virus.

Shingles often occurs many years after the initial chickenpox infection."

Community Veteran

Along with this years flu jab I was offered (and accepted) an anti-shingles jab.

Those who choose not to bother with the annual flu jab should consider that anti-shingles and anti-pneumonia are routinely offered for those of a certain age, both are worth having.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I had an eye op when I was a kid. The little pink bit in the corner of your eye, well one eye had two and the second bit used to swell up and was irritating as hell when hay fever reared its ugly head. As it did when I was a kid.

A simple op to remove the extra bit. I remember the doctor saying you can remove the eye patch after a couple of days. Of course being a kid I couldn't resist having a peek a day later. I lifted the patch looked in the mirror and wobbled a bit. Even though I could see fine out of it, it was just completely red. Half of me looked like an extra in a zombie movie.

Anyway when I did take it off a couple of days later it was down to looking just like I'd had a good punch in the eye.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Only injured my eyes once, specifically the right eye, was grinding a bit of metal back to make it fit in something it wasn't meant to, and, stupid I know, I wasn't wearing any eye protection, and of course a red hot shard of metal managed to get past my glasses and land almost dead centre of the cornea, and suffice to say, my choice of words to describe the pain at the time is banned by this forum...

But, having heard other people suffering the same thing and their solutions, I found a strong neodymium magnet, placed it near my eye and with a sharp sting the shard came unstuck from the cornea and left my eye, leaving my right eye rather blurred, watery and quite sore, didn't go see ('scuse the pun) a doc about it though (Dr. Useless being very offputting to deal with!) as it was hot metal it was pretty much sterile as it landed, and it healed up pretty quickly (few days it was clear enough to see properly again, within a week it was back to normal), even the opticians can't see anything wrong when I've pointed it out to them during a checkup, so, I got lucky, and I also got a set of safety eyewear to use when doing such silly things... Grin