cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eye Tests

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Eye Tests

I just checked and I am due for another eye test (free) and I wondered why I hadn't had a reminder from my optician Dollond & Aitchison and they didn't answer the phone.
Checked their website and I find that the branch I used is now Boots Opticians.
As far as I can tell this means that all the records have gone walkabout otherwise they would have contacted me.
Does anyone have experience of Boots Opticians or should I go to another local optician
27 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Eye Tests

They've been part of Boots for a while.
Eye Test
Community Veteran

Tried again and this time they answered it.
They confirmed they have the records but don't know why I hadn't received a reminder.
They now have a resident optician and apparently last time I saw a locum.
It will be interesting to see what the result is like.
Another  point is that they are very slack at the moment (before Christmas ??) so I could almost pick my appointment - I wonder if this is a reflection of the change of ownership as that wasn't the case previously
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Well Boots sent me a reminder.. I don't even wear glasses  Cheesy
I had an eye test at D&A once because someone nagged me into it. Now I get reminders every 6 months. Now apparently Boots have obtained my details.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
randpwar
Grafter

Won’t have done you any harm okrzynska and would only be half an hour or so out of your time  Smiley. Eye tests are very important. I have to have annual checks as my natural eyesight is very poor (thank goodness for contact lenses) and my optician suggested that I have a cholesterol check at the last appointment; all is well but it’s amazing what clues to general health can be gleaned by an experienced optician during an eye test.
Community Veteran

Yeah thats odd... because I have high cholesterol and the optician I saw gave me a clean bill of health!
I was also treated rather abruptly too... especially when it was realised I wouldn't be buying any glasses.
Community Veteran

@randpwar, opticians are supposed to be excellent at diagnosing other problems whilst doing an eye test. My man is one of the old school and does excellent at his job.
randpwar
Grafter

Yeah, mine too artmo; and, unlike okrzynska’s optician, he takes great care and allows sufficient time to allow a proper investigation. He listens and explains sometimes complicated scenarios to me with great skill and patience. I have great confidence in him.
You seem to have got yourself a bad one there okrzynska, I'd change straight away
Community Veteran

At the very least he should keep an eye on him Wink Wink
thisoldman
Grafter

oldjim your fears are groundless. With the changeover as in all changeovers, things go astray, but the matter is being sorted
I can not comment on boots professional optical staff.
Opticians do not do chloresterol tests.
randpwar
Grafter

Optician as well now are we?  Like all good clinicians, when he saw something that may be an indicator of a problem he mentioned it to me in a professional way and suggested it would be a good idea to get it checked out if only to rule things out. I call that sensible  Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I can vouch for the fact that opticians can pick out problems before the Doctor, in both mine and the Wife, mine is very early glaucoma, that a Diabetic photo screen has not picked up, with the wife it was a long term virus problem
Community Veteran

Had the eye test by a very pretty young blond optician - is that sexist - who was very efficient and talked at great speed.
I was obviously the last test as after the test she hurtled of at speed out the door - I don't think I frightened her off  Roll eyes
Despite intending to buy the glasses on-line I bought them at the shop - one for distance and one for the computer  - £79 the pair so I wasn't too bothered. Makes a big change from my last pair of varifocals - about £250 and that was with a half price offer.
Steve
Pro

I've not had an eye test since I left school twenty years ago, Not one test, Keep meaning to get one but never have. My eye sights been fine though and I am young.
Community Veteran

Still might be a good idea though Steve, Eyes can give away many indicators of other health problems.
Which reminds me, while we're talking about this, if you ever see a colour photo of someones eyes (EG on the internet) and it has a white reflection where it would normally be red (even if the camera has anti-redeye) its a good sign of a tumour within the eye or near by it. I only heard of this tip this year but its a good one to be aware of as so few people know of it and yet its so obvious it literally stares many people in the face.
Early sighting of it could save a life.