cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eye Surgery

Tyreal74
Grafter

Eye Surgery

Has anyone had corrective surgery? Im having mine done on Wednesday and altho i have spoken to 2 people i know who have had it done just wondering if anyone else in the circles i travel have had it done
15 REPLIES
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: Eye Surgery

If you mean laser surgery, our very own Bob Pullen had it done recently: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,74051.0.html
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Depends a bit on your lenses prescription as to how successful it may be. I looked into it (sorry for the unintentional pun) a while ago, and found that after laser surgery I would still need glasses for reading, and long range vision would be mildly blurred. The end result would of course negate the need for glasses for everyday use but, since I have excellent vision (with glasses) I would probably be unhappy with the results, and have to resume wearing glasses (albeit much weaker) to correct the surgery (and read) I currently wear multi-vision lenses.
Many years ago, when I asked my optician whether I should consider surgery (it wasn't laser then but fine cutting to reshape the eye curvature) his reply was that "when I recommend or consider this for members of my own family, I will let you know" he has never changed his mind.
If you are young, you should remember your eyes do change over the years, what you have corrected now, may mean you need glasses or contact lenses in later life.
Glasses are a pain sometimes but, in my case I think I will stick to them. I can only (because of my prescription) wear hard or gas-permeable contact lenses, which get very uncomfortable with extended wear and dust problems. Recent improvements to soft lenses may mean that they might be wearable for me now, but they will not correct all my vision problems, I would still need to wear glasses for either long or short range correction.
You might consider contact lenses instead, at least you can change the prescription at a later date. Whether laser surgery is re-doable later is open to question at this stage. 
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
itsme
Grafter

The friends that I have that had the surgery were warned that they still need to wear glasses after the operation, but all of them the surgery was very successful and are glasses free for a few years until age creep up on them and reading glasses are required.
As for contact lenses they are changing all the time. Last year I enquried about multifocal toric lenses (multifocal lenses for astigmatism) and these were not available in the UK. Just done a search and now seem to be freely available.
craigyoung
Grafter

I had it done about 5 years back - never regretted it.  Doesn't hurt, very quick and easy, amazing sense of freedom.  I realise that I'll probably need reading glassses like everyone else in later life, but money well spent.
Good luck with it on Weds.
Tyreal74
Grafter

Thanks for that info Petlew,
They said as i only have a mild prescriptions +2.25 and +2.5 it should correct it to 20/20 and i understand that i will need glasses when im older but im 26 now so shoudl get some life out of it
Community Veteran

Quote from: Tyreal74
im 26 now so shoudl get some life out of it

I wasn't trying to put you or anybody else off laser surgery, for many it has been very successful, and technology has seemed to have worked.
If I were in your shoes, I would be checking out the company very carefully indeed, get as many testimonials as I could, and try to dig a bit to find if there are any failures or unhappiness with the results, the operating company is not going to advertise the latter, but will hand out glossy upbeat leaflets.
At the end of the day (sorry for that) you have only one pair of eyes to mess around with.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Tyreal74
Grafter

Well i work in advertising so i see straight through the glossiness and i can get the profile of the surgeoun performing the operation.
I am going with optical express, a few friends whom ive spoken too since this morning all have had it there so we wil see ill give everyone an update when i return to normal (if)
Javert
Grafter

I read a Daily Mail article some weeks ago about Denise van Outen who had laser surgery and according to her it was very successful Link.  The article also says where she had this done.  If you go to their webpage there is a link to a video with her telling her experiences of having this done.
Community Veteran

If either your work or some hobbies where you need a medical - it pays to check whether the eye surgery would affect that medical certificate.
Tyreal74
Grafter

onyl sport i play it called the xbox ^_^
the only thing i can see it effecting are my application tot he police but ive been trying to get in for 8 years now and everytime it falls to race and gender so i dont think it matters anymore
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 65

I am going with optical express, a few friends whom ive spoken too since this morning all have had it there so we wil see ill give everyone an update when i return to normal (if)

That's who I had it done through (about 2 months ago). I went for Lasik Wavefront without Ultralase.
They said as i only have a mild prescriptions +2.25 and +2.5 it should correct it to 20/20

Mine's about 20/16 now but my eyes were a little better than yours. If your prescription's pretty static then chances are you'll not need glasses until you get to your 40's and even then you should only need them for reading. Interestingly enough, short sighted people can sometimes do away with reading glasses and instead can take their glasses off to correct their close up vision - Of course you'll not be able to do this if you have your vision corrected.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Community Veteran

Quote from: Bob
[short sighted people can sometimes do away with reading glasses and instead can take their glasses off to correct their close up vision - Of course you'll not be able to do this if you have your vision corrected.

Interesting that Bob, whilst my multi-focus glasses have a reading element (I am basically short sighted and astigmatic in one eye) that makes reading papers that are at say desk level if standing in front of it quite easy, for comfortable reading -sitting or reading in bed- then I take my glasses off, as you say many short-sighted people do this. I can easily read the finest print on an opticians test page without glasses as I can with my glasses but, I hold it further away. My wife who is long sighted holds a page out at arms length to read it without her glasses, but usually has to put them on to read in the end.

Tyreal74
Grafter

I can read perfectly without my glasses but anythnig over 1.5feet away and i cant see a damn thing.
i know i will need them later in life but for now i really would like to have a little vanity for once in my life, the wavefront treatment was an additional £1k on my bill which basically put it out of my range, direct debit or not.
im also having LASEK due to my cornea not being thick enough, itll be an experience to say the least just getting nervous now as there is onyl just over 24 hours to go...
craigyoung
Grafter

I felt the same beforehand.  But the euphoria of waking up in the morning and being able to see more than outweighs the nerves beforehand.  And jumping into a pool on holiday with your eyes open and not worrying about losing your lenses is great!  Let us know how it goes.