Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extinction rebellion

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Extinction rebellion

Are these guys old hippies included, right to block off streets and bridges in and around Westminister doing the right thing as they protest about climate change inaction.

“The whole thing is so urgent that it is imperative the government should take serious actions and put pressure on other states and global powers to radically reduce the use of fossil fuels even if this means we need to reduce our comfort at home and so much flying.”

They used say in Hitler's Germany that the way to protest is to 'talk through a flower' in case you get carted away, but maybe 60s flower power protest is no longer enough and if not more numbers, then even more direct action is needed.

Capture.PNG

Not so sure m'self but they sure do have my admiration - and I bet the old chap never thought this day would come.

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
53 REPLIES 53
gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Re: Extinction rebellion

Not the right action to take imo.

They are preventing a lot of ordinary people going about their business.

If they want to protest do so outside the buildings or houses where those who have the power to make changes reside.

Unlikely to make much difference whatever they do,  did they ever ban the bomb despite those marches ?

Will those protests in Hong Kong get the desired result...no chance.

People are likely to feel better because they are, ' doing something' but will it result in anything ?

What would you give up to support climate change ?

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Minesapint
Pro

@gleneagles 

I'd give up protesting. Smiley

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

With all those protesters getting arrested the parking wardens will have a field day sticking tickets on all those 4 x 4's when their time runs out.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@billnotben 

Those ex hippy pensioners would have used their free bus pass. Thumbs_Up

Minesapint
Pro

@Minivanman 

Buses, trains and other public transport all being run on totally green UDG of course. . .

That's "Unicorn Derived Gas" incidentally. Grin

Champnet
Champion
Fixes: 7

Working on the 2nd floor of a building opposite the Bank of England I’ve seen many protests and demonstrations, some peaceful some not. Due to the the crowd sizes, or their behaviour, the building was often in lockdown all day. No lunch. Going home after work, no matter if I agreed or disagreed with their protests, there’s no fun in getting to the front door and being advised by the police, for my own safety, to stay in the building. Often been stuck there till 10 or 11 at night and with a 2 hr journey home any sympathy for their cause had long gone. So yes make your protests but spare a thought for those ordinary people trying to go about their daily crust earning business.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Well you could take view that what these particular protesters are doing on your behalf is more important than your own convenience. Just saying, although like yourself I expect I'd be none to pleased either.

There again if you knew there was going to be a demonstration the next day you could either stay home... or dress up and join in. Wink

Minesapint
Pro

@Minivanman It depends whether you think they are doing any good.

And whether you think there's a large element of  "professional protesters" jumping on the bandwagon.

As to the first, while the whole thing is very worthy, I don't think it'll make enough difference quickly enough, no matter how much people protest.

Doing what is really needed, would, at least in my opinion be political suicide for any government, because of the Draconian measures which would be needed,  and could end up in open revolt of the populace.

All that half measures will do is drag the whole thing out for longer.

Just my opinion though, I doubt if I'll be around to see the worst of it. Not that I don't care because of that, but I think there are too many vested interests, and it's always the mythical "someone else" who will end up cutting back.

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

@gleneagles wrote:

Not the right action to take imo.

They are preventing a lot of ordinary people going about their business.

If they want to protest do so outside the buildings or houses where those who have the power to make changes reside.

Unlikely to make much difference whatever they do,  did they ever ban the bomb despite those marches ?

Will those protests in Hong Kong get the desired result...no chance.

People are likely to feel better because they are, ' doing something' but will it result in anything ?

What would you give up to support climate change ?

@gleneagles In the main I tend to agree with you with the exception of your bomb comment. The protesters are working to prevent or ameliorate what is so alterable. The bomb, however, is a reality incapable of un-being. If we were to ban it, its use, there'd still be the possibility of its use by another party.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

First thing to be done is to scrap that second runway idea... or build it but only aircraft with a zero emissions rating can use it.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
twocvbloke
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

The problem with protesting against things that are mostly controlled by multinational corporations with off-shore bank accounts filled with sickening amounts of money and as many lawyers to boot is they will fight the protests with their money & lawyers against governments, and of course will win...

Now, if we were to ban lawyers....................

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

TTman
Seasoned Champion

Couldn't the law be changed so that if any protester had glued themselves to the road it was legal to run over themEvil

Champnet
Champion
Fixes: 7

@wotsup 2 very interesting articles, thanks for posting

@TTman If only....