Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extinction rebellion

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Extinction rebellion

Listening to the guy drone on about how "enviromentally aware" they were and of course, his Mrs is a veggie. Roll_eyes

Got to telling me about such things as his house having solar panels, double glazing, and roof insulation etc and could not accept my view that maybe it was all done not because of any concerns about the enviroment, but about saving money. I asked him to be as honest as I was trying to be telling him that apart from solar panels we had done the same thing in order to save on the cost of fuel plus we had downsized to a much smaller house.

Global warming was not even on the radar when folks first started fitting double glazing and insulating lofts but now of course it's all "but we cared about the environment"  

Yeh right, pull the other one I thought. 

Highlighted
Pro

@Minivanman  Some people really can start to believe their own press.

It usually goes with an over inflated sense of self importance, and of being "right" Roll_eyes

I like to stir people like that up a bit occasionally by making non committal comments, followed by a sudden disagreement with what they've said. Shocked

Sounds like you're similar. Wink

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@Minivanman wrote:

@gleneagles 

Please tell me that you do not support them giving them a good kicking as well by the look of the video I saw.

Justified anger sure, but they were like a pack of animals.

Disgraceful behaviour on both sides.    

Agreed but as you know it what's described as herd instinct, one or two set the ball rolling and others follow like sheep.....

Not uncommon to hear...." No idea why I did that, it was out of character" etc

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 5

@gleneagles wrote:

Passengers have pulled a couple of these climate change protesters off the top of a carriage....seems an effective way of doing things...if the Police were involved it would take hours due to all the rules and regs they have to follow.

There's always the possibility the legitimate passengers were concerned for the 'elf 'n safety of the protesters. Roll_eyes

After all, even though there aren't overhead power cables on the Underground, there's always the live rail which they could  encounter should they slip off (and not onto the relative safety of the platform).

Not every train roof trespasser lives to tell the tale.

Warning to the easily shocked, video contains shocking footage;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6YfU8GvlkU

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@Minivanman 

Your neighbours are fortunate to have both the time and money to get involved to that extent, most people are too busy working just to keep a roof over their heads.

As previously said I have no problem with legal protests but to stop others from getting to work or block roads that could stop emergency services is not on.

What to stop them standing outside shopping centres, stations etc and handing out leaflets and trying to talk to people ? That's how it was done in the past, what's changed ?

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Nothing has changed has it?

Direct action has always been used as a last resort and much we enjoy today we would not have had it not been for the few and for the many that demand both moral and legitimate changes.

Precedence and the law is no defence of the indefensible.

Lots of examples of course and far to many to list. Smiley

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

The chat I had with our three vehicle neighbouring couple about their environmental concerns seems to have had the effect of highlighting the world we live in and one where like so much else, we have little choice other than to disengage entirely from a world that seems to pollute everything.

Regular flyers to Finland they decided to check out getting there by ferry, road and rail and found it to be almost impossible and tell me that what with routes, connections and travel times, from here in west Wales it would take them at least seventy two hours to get there. It would also have cost them a lot more, and I did mean a lot.

So two pensioners like us undertaking a six day return journey does not even bear thinking about.

Can that be right? Having travelled perhaps like many of us I expect by coach on the continent, I think it might be which leaves them with two options - either fly, or don't go and spend Christmas without their son and his family.

Time was when folks moved so far away then that was it. Now, in order to get there we help to destroy the environment. 

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

As it’s revealed Boris’s Brexit deal would leave the UK £70 billion worse off by 2029, scientists say it’s nothing to worry about as we’ll be 6ft underwater by then.
@haveigotnews
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Extinction Rebellion should be protesting outside our Government Offices in Brussels.  The London bunch of MPs have no power.to change things.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.