Explosion at Didcot Power Station - looks a bit nasty

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Explosion at Didcot Power Station - looks a bit nasty

13 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Explosion at Didcot Power Station - looks a bit nasty

I'd be more worried about Hartlepool Nuke station and its cracked boilers blowing up... Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

They are the electrostatic dust precipitators that are missing. They were being demolished as part of clearance since the plant was closed some time ago. Looks to me like a premature explosives detonation.
WTF
Grafter

Last night they were claiming there were no explosives on site at the time but you have to wonder how that could have happened without them.  Maybe there was something else explosive around ..
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

If what nozzer says is correct then it could easily be the fine dust that exploded. When disturbed for removal they could release a cloud of fine dust that is just as explosive as well explosives, and with someone maybe smoking; kaboom!
Community Veteran

If it is the electrostatic dust precipitators then the residual dust could create an explosive mixture and a worker using an oxyacetylene torch or even a cutting disk could easily set it off
Community Veteran

The dust is the ash residue from burnt pulverized coal. The combustion process is complete (to extract every bit of available energy from the coal) and there's nothing left in the dust to burn. It's usually taken away and used as a concrete or cement dilutant or just dumped in the ground, but there's obviously a return to be made from selling it on for making roads etc with, so that's where it often goes. Only dusts with burning potential will explode, for example flour dust. Many a flour mill has gone skywards!
For my money it was explosives if the reports of a bang are to be believed, either that or they cocked up the prep and removed one leg too many.
Community Veteran

The electrostatic precipitator removes dust from the fumes and this can include flammable materials
The ash is removed differently
Community Veteran

OJ...  I am referring to the dust! The combustion process is made to be as complete as possible so as not to waste money and there's nothing left to burn after the flame has gone out. Believe me I know...   a few years in a Power Station Efficiency Dept.
EDIT: Actually, I will admit that if the very last period of operation of the plant was done under poorly controlled conditions for some reason, there might be some coal dust present. Normally the dust bunkers are emptied frequently so it would have had to have been close to when the plant operated for the last time. Normally pulverized fuel ash is a light grey colour (similar to cement) but coal makes it go darker. The stuff that is in the pics looks brown, which is not a normal PFA colour, so you may be right. But it's not normal to have coal dust passing through as far as the back end of the gas flow. It just throws money up the flue.
Community Veteran

according to the documents I read there are aromatic hydrocarbons in the dust  but then again I was only involved with the design and commissioning of electrostatic precipitators for steel works
Community Veteran

See my edit of the previous post.  Smiley
The aromatics used to just go up the chimney but these days they are scrubbed out by flue gas washers, which removes CO2 as well. Didcot didn't have those.
Community Veteran

The authorities have notified the families of the missing staff that there is now little chance of them being found alive. Very sad. A shock for all the families.
Community Veteran

It's beginning to look as though it was just a structural failure as opposed to an explosion (tut, journalists!).
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Before setting explosives I thought they weakened parts of the structure ?
Perhaps they weakened the pillars too much thus causing the structure to collapse, no doubt an enquiry will confirm what happened.
Very sad about the loss of life.