cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exploding Head Syndrome

Fixes: 121

Exploding Head Syndrome

Do you suffer from EHS (Exploding Head Syndrome)?
Exploding head syndrome may sound like a made-up condition - in fact, it's a real and frightening medical disorder, and one that a study suggests is surprisingly common.
People with exploding head syndrome (EHS) hear loud noises when going to sleep or on waking up.
The type of noise can vary from explosions and fireworks to slammed doors, the sound of a gun firing, an enormous roar, shouting, thunder or a crack of lightning. The noises start suddenly and last for a few seconds.

Some may think this is a made up thing but I can confirm it most definitely is not. Yet, until this article, I had never known anyone else to have experienced or heard of it including family, friends and even doctors.
Laying bed, drifting off, I have suddenly experienced what I can only describe as a loud explosion from within my head. Definitly not external nor within my ears. It usually results with me becoming fully awake with quite a start yet I have never felt any ill effects. I have worried at times that it could have been a mini stroke or signs of one pending but a CT scan proved nothing untoward.
Does anyone else experince EHS?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

13 REPLIES
sarahjmack01
Dabbler

Re: Exploding Head Syndrome

I do - didn't know what it was until I saw your post!
I experience the same as you, just drifting off to sleep and I hear a loud noise - could be the sound of a door banging or something heavy falling or some other loud noise.
After hearing it, it takes forever to get back to sleep  Cry
Glad to know I'm not the only one

I think I started getting them in my twenties but can't be too sure (in  my 50's now). Inistially I used to be frightened by it but for the last few years have just accepted that I experience them but still not knowing what was happening.
In the article it states it is linked to rapid withdrawal from benzodiazepines and SSRIs of which I have been on both and usually withdrawn from quite quickly but haven't taken either for many years yet still experience EHS.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran

Sounds horrible.
I had thought initially that this was something about Cameron Vale.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Nope I don't suffer from anything like it but considering i seem to suffer from everything else I'll take it as a blessing.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 47

Yep...I've experienced it  a number of times.
It usually results in me looking through curtains and going downstairs to check doors and windows.
Another thing which I used to experience was suddenly waking up in the night with greatly exaggerated senses.
Any movement I made appeared to be very fast. The slightest sound was loud and I couldn't look at street lights because of the glare.
I'd drop back to sleep and in the morning everything was back to normal.
I haven't had that particular anomaly for years now.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation

When I was a child and, I think, into late teens I used to get a sensation that my hands and fingers were bigger then they really were. I coud see they weren't but they felt that way. Frequently this was if I had a fever but not always.
And another was something I experienced that I used to call a loss of sense of perspective where things the other side of the room seeemd as if I could touch them yet I knew they were out of reach.
Is there any hope for me Grin Cheesy

Fixes: 47

You think you had problems.....with the symptoms I mentioned above I thought I was turning into Spiderman Shocked
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Steve
Pro

Quote from: Mav
And another was something I experienced that I used to call a loss of sense of perspective where things the other side of the room seeemd as if I could touch them yet I knew they were out of reach.
And did you pass your driving test?
coat

Not till I was 30 Wink

sarahjmack01
Dabbler

I had another episode of this last night - just dropping off to sleep and some deep creepy voice shouted my name.
Although I haven't been on any of the drugs listed, one of the things the article mentions is ear problems and I do suffer from vertigo, so that could be a link.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

if this is what happens to me then its a totally random thing, might not happen of days or weeks and then bang, although I noticed it often happens if I've been stressed about something, and its always when I get the most powerful hypnic jerk (making the whole bed move), not that I worry about it overmuch its just one of many things that stops me sleeping properly, when it happens though I know I'm not likely to sleep and go watch dross on the tele (nat geo is favourite) hoping to drift off
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you

Something I really hate although I've not experienced it for sometime is the feeling that you can't wake up. I seem to thrash about and even scream to get awake yet when I finally am awake I ask SWMBO if she heard me or felt me moving and she said no.

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 4