cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Explain this to me ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Explain this to me ?

How is it that I cannot even LEAVE this country without showing my passport ? yet others can enter this country with no passport of documents.
I Suspect that on arrival in another country without a passport I would be quickly arrested and the airline would have to stand the cost of my flight back to this country, they may even be subject to a fine.
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Explain this to me ?

I think the problem is illegals arrive with no identification or passport so we don't know where to send them back too.
I think we used to send them back to their last port of call, usually France, but the wonderful EU stopped that.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

iirc it was actually the French who stopped it when they closed the infamous san-gat camp where they "held" said miscreants once we had returned them .....
@Gleneagles
yes the airlines do get fined for every passenger that doesn't have a passport and also the cost of returning them (which in some cases has involved chartering an empty jetliner) the problem is that the majority of the people who travel without documents do so via other means or through private airports (which often don't have any control over who comes or goes) 
as such its rather more difficult to fine someone, like all the people that are regularly caught hiding in the back of long haul trucks (the frogs got so hacked off with UK boarder control's success rate they stopped them operating over there for a while despite having had the embarkation area designated as UK territory)
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

But it does not matter how they got here, this is an island so they should be returned to the place they came from which in most cases is likely to be France.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

well not so many years ago a certain neo-nazi got themselves locked up for proclaiming that if the whatevers were so willing to be traveling in a banana boat we should instead of diverting them to our shores (whereupon we promptly lost the miscreants) instead drag them further out to sea and allow them to continue there journey preferably with a few new holes drilled into the keel ......
not that I was in favour of his words but I do remember that all of the so called banana boats were actually of French origin and not as it was oft proclaimed sailed round Europe from Africa (which given the waters was altogether unlikely anyway) yet any deportations were country of origin, which without identity documents could not be established, it left a lot of people calling for all babies to be chipped with a country code and anyone found without a chip to be detained until they explained there origins .....all of which was part of an EU directive which didn't get cancelled until after some elected official in one of the many African nations told a research party of diplomats to go take a running jump ......
to be honest it would make all the fake passport stuff irrelevant however I doubt the decadent west would  agree to getting chipped along with the third world ....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you