cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Explain this to me.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Explain this to me.

As I understand it southern Ireland are in a considerable amount of debt and some house building has come to a stop due to this crisis. Last week I was in Dublin and a few days later in Killarney, all the shops were open and appeared to be doing good trade, no boarded up shops, charity shops, or dozens of fast food shops along the main streets.
Compare this to the town nearest to me in Lancashire and just the opposite is true, shops shut or opened as charity shops, fast food outlets, bookies, pawnbrokers etc
Even in the few main shops left people seem to be spending more time browsing rather than buying.
So exactly what is it I am missing here ?
3 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Explain this to me.

I was looking at some UK export figures to a large plant hire company in Dublin and they are well up on last year so the construction industry there must be improving.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Thur 26th Sept 2013:
http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/imf-disburses-another-770m-as-part-of-ireland-s-bailout-1.15...
Latest tranche takes its share of rescue funds to about €22bn

that's over €5000 per adult available (on credit) to spend
Community Veteran

Some years ago, when travelling westwards towards Cork, the motorway suddenly diminished to the normal modest country road it always used to be. Questioning the locals we found that was when the EU money ran out. Also some villages had half-built elaborate mansions where a similar thing happened. These mansion were originally intended for an influx of German nationals who ended up not paying for them. No one we spoke to among the locals seemed to be bothered about the situation then and I suspect that they represent the views of many of the population of the Republic now.
Sad