Rising Star

Expensive firewood

14 REPLIES
MrC
Grafter

Re: Expensive firewood

Quote from: nadger
Great use of resources Huh

Although looking at the circumstances (warden rings police from remote area in the middle of a heated argument then the phone goes dead), rather than the attention-grabbing BBC headline, it looks quite a reasonable response by the police.
Community Veteran

I was thinking that too – my main concern is why on Earth the warden thought the police should get involved in the first place.
MrC
Grafter

Without the real facts it's hard to know. The warden could have been an obstreperous sod. On the other hand the bloke picking kindling could've been. Or the 'kindling' may have been something a bit more substantial, or even still attached to a tree....
nadger
Rising Star

My thoughts were that it was a case of "jobsworth" by the warden - hard to believe that Mr Pope would get involved in a heated row in front of his twin 5 year old daughters.
Community Veteran

Quote from: MrC
Although looking at the circumstances…

Quote from: MrC
Without the real facts…

You certainly make sure you don't let the media pull the wool over your eyes, don't you. Smiley (That's not a criticism, in case it sounds like one.)
MrC
Grafter

Yup, my cynicism knows no bounds where the media's concerned Cheesy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Media - great
case one Newsquest international own a lot of local papers,  The Tour of Britain cycle race is coming through my town, June The local one to me had an article and Map, said that a Speed trial was to be on Millennium way,  this week the organisers have been putting up warning notice of road disruption on 17th Sept,  one at the top of my road, Strange, that wasnt on the June Map.  - went to Web site, the route has changed.
Went to the Local Office of Local paper, - spoke to the reporter of original article Oh has it changed, I didnt know.  Got home and looked at web for local paper - found this http://www.braintreeandwithamtimes.co.uk/archive/2010/07/19/Gazette+News+%28ev_gazette_news%29/82797... dated 19th July, , Para 8 has new route in words, no map. got back on phone to reporter, Oh, he is the Colchester reporter it must have been in that paper, but this is the Brainless and Witless web site.
OK will get the new info in next week
Case twp,  Yesterdays paper 1st Sept,  - Hurry up BrewersFayre have £10000 to give away to charity, closing date for applications Aug 27th
Rants over
Community Veteran

Quote from: nadger
My thoughts were that it was a case of "jobsworth" by the warden - hard to believe that Mr Pope would get involved in a heated row in front of his twin 5 year old daughters.

Can't comment on the status of the reserve, etc however having encountered people who quite happily encourage their children to be abusive to me as well as shouting insults at me for pointing out that their activity is breaking the law, nothing would surprise me in this case. With regard to the police response I am pleased that they took the call seriously, even if in the end everything turned out fine. Oh, and yes I am a Warden and yes I can be considered a 'jobs worth' but part of my role is to protect the countryside that I am responsible for and not many people like to be told they are breaking the law, especially if family is on tow.
nadger
Rising Star

"Officers spoke to a man about the earlier disagreement and it was subsequently found that no offences had been committed."
Community Veteran

I remember having that quoted to me several times by the police. I then pointed out several bits of legislation including the Wildlife & Countryside Act 1980 as amended by the Countryside Rights of Way Act 2000 and strangely enough an offence had been committed at the time which was then followed up by the police. Long ago a gave up believing what the news reports say as they prefer headline grabbing stories.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Spider
not many people like to be told they are breaking the law.

Maybe that's part of the problem. Now, I'm not necessarily saying that the following is indicative of your approach, but your statement did get me hypothesising… imagine these two different ways a warden could approach the issue of someone collecting twigs when they shouldn't be:
[quote="Kind warden"]Excuse me, could you please not collect twigs from this area, because <carefully explained reason here>.
[quote="Officious warden"]Excuse me, you're breaking the law, please desist immediately or I'll call the police.
I know which one I'd take more kindly to.
Community Veteran

I agree, the initial approach makes a lot of difference, however which ever of the two approaches you make you are still advising people that they are breaking the law. The usual way is "...do you realise that it is an offence to ......" and before anyone says the conversation is usually a lot longer than that and for those that are willing to listen an explanation why the activity is a problem and possible alternatives.
In the case of the 'officious warden' usually the police have already been called Wink. Pointing out that they are breaking the law is their opportunity to leg it before getting caught.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: Be3G
Quote from: Spider
not many people like to be told they are breaking the law.

Maybe that's part of the problem. Now, I'm not necessarily saying that the following is indicative of your approach, but your statement did get me hypothesising… imagine these two different ways a warden could approach the issue of someone collecting twigs when they shouldn't be:
[quote="Kind warden"]Excuse me, could you please not collect twigs from this area, because <carefully explained reason here>.

[quote="Officious warden"]Excuse me, you're breaking the law, please desist immediately or I'll call the police.
I know which one I'd take more kindly to.

Actually, there is a third option..... he could have used his intelligence, instead of his position of superiority....... which would not have necessitated the prolonged police action that subsequently took place.
MrC
Grafter

Quote from: shutter
Actually, there is a third option..... he could have used his intelligence, instead of his position of superiority....... which would not have necessitated the prolonged police action that subsequently took place.

Who's to say he didn't try? None of us were there.