Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expats, and their right to vote.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Expats, and their right to vote.

Should expatriates have a right to vote on UK issues for life? 

At the moment the limit is fifteen years and although there are plans from some quarters to extend this to twenty and yes, I know that in some other countries they can vote for life, but really?

Fine if they are working and living overseas and still living as 'Brits abroad' but when they have have permanently shipped out to the other side of the world for example and in many cases taken out dual nationality, by what right do they have to decide how we elect our govenment or, as has been current, how we elect an MEP. 

I have no say in who governs France or who governs in Australia so...

Sure I've heard that often used shtick of "no taxation without representation" from those that have insurances, pensions or investments here but again, really? 

I just don't get it. 

3 REPLIES 3
Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Expats, and their right to vote.

I'm not in favour of dual nationality, except for example if someone has parents of different nationalities, or genuinely divide their time between two countries.  What happens if there should be a war between two of the countries you are a citizen of?

Nor do I believe people are more loyal to a country simply by being born there.  Many years ago I saw a job advertisement for a nurse to work in the sickbay serving our High Commission staff in New Delhi, as well as serving the staff of the Australian, Canadian and NZ diplomatic missions.  One of the stipulations was that the person had to have been born in a Commonwealth country or Ireland.  So the queen's husband is not considered loyal to the crown but most IRA terrorists would be!

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

I have my own axe to grind here with a family member who has been living permanently overseas and way down south. Twenty years on, kids now grown and 'left home', English born as was family both sides way back but now all have dual nationality.

Because they returned briefly during that period they have somehow maintained the right to vote and of late, I get nothing but earache about the EU and how we should be running the country - and his total right to vote on all matters!

Grrr. :knuppel2:

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

Until fairly recently you could only register once a year, so if you registered when your form arrived in August/September, then moved to another constituency in October, you had to vote in your 'old' constituency should there be an election before the qualifying date (usually 10th) October the next year.  In marginal constituencies this could make a difference.