Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expatriates to be given a “vote for life”

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Expatriates to be given a “vote for life”

The demand by expatriates to be allowed to vote in the referendum was turfed out by the EU and now, it looks like they are going to be given a vote for life.

One report stated "We believe that overseas electors contribute to British society" - really, how does that work then?

In my opinion Brits who live overseas, and especially those who have done so for more years than they ever lived here, should not have the right to vote on matters that do not concern them. Do other countries extend such rights to their nationals? I'm not so sure they do to be honest. At a push five years voting rights, any more than that is just plain wrong and a lifetime is just plain stark staring bonkers.

Union Jack wavers from such places as Australia, Canada and New Zealand first demanding a say about the EU, and now this. We love you guys but really, this it just too much. Crazy2

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/06/expats-to-get-vote-for-life-as-tories-announce-plan-to-sc...

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
30 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Expatriates to be given a “vote for life”

Of course they should be given the right to vote - after all they are far more likely to be Tory voters!

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Why do "Ex-pats" live abroad?   cos they don`t like the UK lifestyle, and, they don`t like the weather... BUT... they do want to have a vote... so that they can claim all the benefits to support their leisurely lifestyle, in another country, but claim to be "british" ( or UK ish).. ( whatever).

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

When growing up, I was often told "You can't have it both ways", in this particular situation, that really does apply...

Minivanman
Hero

You've got that right, the nasty party are digging themselves in!

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

I know many expats mainly in Spain and the US. They only want a vote when it is in their own interest. A good example was the recent referendum when they were concerned about their status if the UK voted to leave the EU.

I personally think that if someone has lived abroad for say 5 or more years they shouldn't have a vote. If they become resident in the adopted country they get to vote there.

Community Veteran

What next MP for life.

Maybe I shouldn't joke about that.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I was an expat for a big part of my working life and that was as an engineer in support of British industry. I've sold British products, worked on the construction of power stations designed and supplied by British companies, worked as a consultant where British expertise is valued worldwide and have worked for agent's supporting British companies. So now I can just push off because I've spent all those years abroad.  Don't criticise what you don't understand! Ticked off

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I'm guessing that you were living abroad while employed by a British company (or a foreign subsidiary of a British company) and always had the intention to return to the UK? If that was the case there's a world of difference between that and ex-pats of which we are thinking. I've no issue at all with people employed as I've described having the vote. It's the type who've retired to say Spain and intend to live out their days out there that shouldn't have the vote.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

@jelv  Yup,.... that`s my view as well...

Thumbs Up

Minivanman
Hero

Well let's try and understand it then.

For a start, did you actually have your main home overseas and perhaps your family with you? One of my sisters has lived in France for the past forty years, my son for the past fifteen years, and a younger brother has been living in NZ with his family for the same amount of time. The list goes on and I share this to show that yes, I do understand. I also lived overseas for a while, made my home there, and had no desire or obligation to vote on UK issues. They had nothing to do with me, they were not part of my life and they did not affect me in any way. Sure I'm proud to be British but a right to vote when I had 'made my bed' elsewhere? I don't think so, and in same way as those that live here and don't vote having an opinion on government. 

Just plain wrong in my book and this latest move is just a cynical ploy to harvest even more Tory votes from fence sitting expatriates in the sun. Best of luck to them I say but they cannot have it both ways. 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I think you've all gone with the sensational headline and the first paragraphs, further down government spokesmen explain that it's all about making us an outward facing nation strengthening ties with nations round the world. Also two thirds of expats are outside the EU so it's not about retirees in Spain and France. 

Expats tend to be movers and shakers so are in key positions to act as unpaid envoys representing British interests!

When I worked in Saudi last time around there were as many living arrangements as there were British expats, we all had apartments but some had their families with them some didn't, some, while I flew back to Britain, flew to homes in Thailand or Malaysia and some never went home but took their Holidays in Saudi the Emirates or Egypt but all working for a British firm of consultants. 

Not the sort of people you want to annoy and I think we need to think about the bureaucracy of a system where some qualify and some don't

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Minivanman
Hero

Well my original source Peter was from a Danish news feed from https://www.thelocal.dk/20161007/britain-to-give-all-citizens-living-abroad-right-to-vote and having read it, searched for the same story in a UK with the Telegraph (not my usual read) article being the first one I came across. As for being sensational, well that's not really them is it.

It should come as no surprise either that two thirds of expatriates are outside of the EU, it's a big old world out there but we refer to what we know and for us Spain and France come out top of any list. 

Maybe many are the crème de la crème movers and shakers you describe which should make us all proud, but that would put them even more firmly into the Conservative camp. Not difficult to see what's behind it all is it?  

Lots of overseas Telegraph readers of course! Wink

Community Veteran

PeterLoftus wrote:

I think you've all gone with the sensational headline and the first paragraphs, further down government spokesmen explain that it's all about making us an outward facing nation strengthening ties with nations round the world. Also two thirds of expats are outside the EU so it's not about retirees in Spain and France. 

"A government spokesman"...  = "Spin Doctor".... putting a "positive" thought onto a dodgy excuse for something underhand....

and can you explain, how someone who lives abroad, being given a vote IN THE UK, will be 

strengthening ties with nations round the world." 

That, is just a load of spin, as well.... it means nothing, cannot be proved or substantiated, and is just more "flowery" wording bulking up the previous spin.

On the other hand... Giving people of other nations around the world, the right to vote in UK elections, WOULD, indeed, strengthen ties (with the uk ) with nations around the world.... 

Expats tend to be movers and shakers so are in key positions to act as unpaid envoys representing British interests!

IF these "Expats tend to be movers and shakers" they are only that because they have moved to another country, so they can shake more shekels into their bank accounts.... don`t give me that spin, that they are "unpaid envoys" representing british interests.... they are there for themselves, and the money they can earn... with the prospect of retiring early with a nice big house in Surrey, Sandbanks, or Seville and not pay UK taxes but claim UK pension rights to boot... ..

nanotm
Pro

should just loose the right to vote in the UK the minute you leave the country if your not on hmg's payroll and moving only because that's where they sent you, you want to have a say in the country then damn well live in it and have to live with your choices otherwise you shouldn't get a voice

that's my opinion!

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you