cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exercise Bike

Highlighted
Fixes: 416

Exercise Bike

I don't get as much exercise as I need these days so I've been looking at purchasing an exercise bike at around the £100 mark.

I have been browsing a couple of sites but one thing crops up which is putting me off.

Occasionally someone will ask the question "I am 6 foot tall, will I fit on the bike"

Sometimes an answer will come back "The suppliers have advised a maximum user height for this bike of 5' 10""

I am 6 foot 1 inch tall so it would seem that bikes in my price range are aimed at the vertically challenged.

All bikes I have looked at state a maximum weight limit but not a height limit.

I don't want to buy one and find my knees hitting the handle bars.

One manufacturer apparently offers a seat support extension for taller people but I don't have any more details on that and they have limited website content.

Does anyone here use an exercise bike?

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 74.0.1 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
23 REPLIES 23
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Exercise Bike

Ours sits in a cupboard, unused since the initial enthusiasm !!

Highlighted

Then get it out of the cupboard @Anonymous, confirm you are over 6 feet tall, get on the bike and reacquaint yourself with a fitness regime....and tell me what make it is and that you can comfortably use it. 

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately.....

It's been dismantled  & packed away !

In a distant property (Scotland).

Sorry.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

Exercise bike....?  so, you want to "ride a bike" indoors, so you don`t get cold and wet  ? ? ?

Well, I suppose that is an advantage... !..

. however.. for £100 you should be able to buy a real bike, Second Hand, of course,  and be able to go into the beautiful countryside around Sheffield,  SOUTH YORKSHIRE, (God`s Own Country )!... you may even find that you can get to a nice pub, with a view....  so.... bike ride, = exercise= fresh air.......and all as an excuse for  "going to the pub"... ... then .. you get to do it all again.... to come back home, to appreciate the warmth and comfort once again...

( no gain, without pain, as the saying goes ,but at least you can temper that pain, with the pub bit in the middle ! ! !)

Repeat 7 times a week, and you will soon be fit !

Highlighted

@shutter I don't have to buy tyres for an exercise bike.

You do realise that Sheffield is built on 7 hills, all of which are in front of you when cycling.

And some idiot decided to lay tram tracks all over the place to dismount the unwary cyclist.

The tram sheds are full of cyclists who couldn't get out of the track.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

@Strat  You forget.... the exercise you get climbing out of Sheffield, to get to the pub, and the reward is a nice pint and a view. !..   after that ... it`s downhill all the way home ! ! ! ..Cheesy

Ah yes... I forgot about the tramlines, and the tramsheds full of unwary cyclists... I am sure that you do not come in that category ! ..

Lovely trams though ! ! ..Smiley

Seven hills.... Where do you think the Romans got the idea of building Rome from  ? ? ?  After they came to Sheffield , of course  ! ! ! ! ... Huh

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Strat I have one of these and my eldest son who is 6' 3" can use it with the seat pushed back. It's not available on the link but it is elsewhere online but puts a hole in your budget.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

We had an exercise bike for a while before my wife did her knees in trying to do the Tour de France !

Worth having a look at a cross trainer as an alternative to be honest with you - far easier on the joints and helps you exercise more muscles.

See if you can try one at a local gym equipment supplier if you have one.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@Strat

Add another 0 to that figure and you could have one of those Virtual Reality Headsets to go with the exercise bike, linking to google earth you could cycle in any part of the world with all that wonderful scenery safe in the knowledge you will not have a accident.Smiley

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

@Strat wrote:

I don't get as much exercise as I need these days so I've been looking at purchasing an exercise bike at around the £100 mark.

I have been browsing a couple of sites but one thing crops up which is putting me off.

Occasionally someone will ask the question "I am 6 foot tall, will I fit on the bike"

Sometimes an answer will come back "The suppliers have advised a maximum user height for this bike of 5' 10""

I am 6 foot 1 inch tall so it would seem that bikes in my price range are aimed at the vertically challenged.

All bikes I have looked at state a maximum weight limit but not a height limit.

I don't want to buy one and find my knees hitting the handle bars.

One manufacturer apparently offers a seat support extension for taller people but I don't have any more details on that and they have limited website content.

Does anyone here use an exercise bike?

@Strat

A friend of mine is 8 feet 6 inches tall and used to use a Tacx Turbo Trainer which enables you to use a normal bike mounted onto it.  They're quite compact units and quite a large price range so you might find something suitable within your £100 limit.  They have a variable resistance controller which you can mount on the bikes handle bars, and you also have the option of using the bikes own gears.

Some of the more expensive models have virtual tours viewable by placing a screen in front of you, and I'm not sure if some of them would even vary the resistance according to the gradient you were 'riding on'.

EDIT:

@Strat  It might be worth looking on eBay if you're interested.

Something to consider would be to confirm any prospective purchase will suit the wheel diameter of the bike you would be using.  Wink

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@Strat  What about joining your local leisure centre? They will have an assortment of machines that you can try and you may find you meet a few new friends.

Highlighted

@artmo I'm not planning on competing in a Mr Universe competition, just need a little exercise.Wink

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Mr Universe? Slartibartfarst? Or the Vogon fleet commander?

Highlighted
Fixes: 394

@artmo wrote:

@Strat  What about joining your local leisure centre? They will have an assortment of machines that you can try and you may find you meet a few new friends.

Of course, @Strat you'd have to buy a bike to get there Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still