cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excuse me I'm lost. I don't know where I live.

Community Veteran

Excuse me I'm lost. I don't know where I live.

Well I do, sort of, my house is in Lancashire. Where is Lancashire though?
Do I say Lancashire, England (my preference as I am English) if so do  then need to add UK as well or even GB?
Should it be just Lancashire United Kingdom or even Lancashire Great Britain?
What is this place called these days?
49 REPLIES
Fixes: 102

Re: Excuse me I'm lost. I don't know where I live.

Just say 'Wrong side of the Pennines' everyone will know where you mean then Tongue
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Lancashire nr. Yorkshire  Cool
Loombucket
Grafter

"Oop North on t'left" just about covers it.   Grin
jmd
Grafter

Ignoring the silly replies [ Tongue] I would say you put "Lancashire, England". Smiley
I used to live in Lancashire but then when where I lived became part of Greater Manchester it got very confusing as you would get mail adress to Urmston, Lancashire or Urmston, Greater Manchester or even Urmston, Trafford, Greater Manchester, Lancashire!
But now I too am on the better side of the Pennines and my address is mch more straightforward.
csogilvie
Grafter

If abroad, I'd do:
Lancashire
UK

If the the UK, I'd do:
Lancashire
Community Veteran

Quote from: Santiago
Do I say Lancashire, England

Only if you're outside the UK and in an English-speaking country.  Wink
I think the normal polite practice, for example when addressing a holiday postcard, is to write the "in country" address as normal and then add the country name in the local language (and character set).
Whether, in France for example, you put Angleterre or Royaume-Uni is up to you (the former I guess).  Cheesy
N/A

But now I too am on the better side of the Pennines

Exactly - we Yorkshire folk have no problems - just put GOC (God's Own County) and everyone knows what you mean.
Lancashire would be OK with just plain UK although I like Loombucket's suggestion which could be abbreviated to ONOTL.
csogilvie
Grafter

[me=csogilvie]grumbles about the English... Scotland is 'Oop North' not Lancashire/Yorkshire/Cumbria/Northumbria Tongue[/me]
Community Veteran

We could say "down sooth, on the right".
But actually I agree with Colin, no need for country when in UK.
And it people from the deep south that get there distances all confused, anything north of Watford gap being in the north etc, totally missing out the Midlands etc., and if they ever reach Edinburgh or Glasgow, they forget theres still a large mileage to the north coast.
Fixes: 47

You think you've got problems Santiago.
I live a couple of hundred metres inside the southern border of Sheffield and have been located in South Riding, Yorkshire, South Yorkshire and North Derbyshire in the 25 years I've been here Roll eyes
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
jmd
Grafter

But Strat, Sheffield likes to keep itself to itself.  Use the A57 into Sheffield and that road disappears to re-emerge as the Snake Pass in Derbyshire.  But there are no signs to tell you how to find it because they do not want you to out of there and get to Derbyshire!
Fixes: 47

But it's just a five minute walk into Derbyshire from my house. Smiley Admittedly not the best part of Derbyshire though. Sad
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
jmd
Grafter

How nice that you can get so easily into Derbyshire Strat even if it not the best part - I found it very difficult when driving through Sheffield to get out of the place and into Derbyshire!!  I thought you lived on edge of Peak District so it should be nice countryside 5 minutes from you!
Community Veteran

Quote from: HPsauce
I think the normal polite practice, for example when addressing a holiday postcard, is to write the "in country" address as normal and then add the country name in the local language (and character set).

You are indeed correct; I sent a couple of things off to Russia two years ago and I'd write the normal address in Russian, but add 'RUSSIAN FEDERATION' (capital letters necessary) to the bottom so that Royal Mail knew which country to send it off to.
Quote from: mal0z
And it people from the deep south that get there distances all confused, anything north of Watford gap being in the north etc, totally missing out the Midlands etc., and if they ever reach Edinburgh or Glasgow, they forget theres still a large mileage to the north coast.

I think that's all just an urban myth - or perhaps a case of people from the north not being able to understand what southerners say. Someone in London might well refer to, say, Birmingham being north, but when they do they're using 'north' as an adjective; they are saying that Birmingham is north of London, which is true. I've never encountered anyone saying that places such as that are actually the north of the country.