cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excessive Download Speed

Fixes: 47

Excessive Download Speed

I feel I must complain.
My PC is set up for 'up to 8Mb download ADSL and I did this test a few minutes ago.
The download speed obviously exceeds that promised and therefore my desk is covered in downloaded bytes that my PC couldn't handle.
Will this situation be rectified or do I need to reconfigure my PC accordingly.
This is my normal speed.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
14 REPLIES
pd
Grafter

Re: Excessive Download Speed

Can you send a little bit of your speed my way if you don't want it all?  Please.
pd
Community Veteran

You may have got some of mine by mistake, I'm a tad slow today  Cry

@HPsauce
The local cable company decided a few years ago that it was uneconomical to run cable up to us and stopped half a mile away Sad
Community Veteran

That's ADSL2+ - something for you to look forward to sooner or later?
What's the downstream attenuation on your 8mbps link?

ADSL Link              Downstream    Upstream
Connection Speed 7616 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation     27 db       9.5 db
Noise Margin         7 db           28 db
ADSL2+... Cool
Community Veteran

Is that interleaved?
Anyway, expect 17mbps with ADSL2+ if you have good phone wiring, maybe a bit more.
And upload speeds over 1mbps and maybe over 2...

BT Exchange Information
Exchange: Greenhill. BT Code: SLGL
ADSL enabled : May 7, 2003
dsl Max enabled: March 31, 2006
SDSL enabled : Not Enabled
21CN due : no info
Distance:- Direct:    504 metres
    (appx)* By Road: 1.45 km

As to interleaving...refresh me on how to check. As I understand it interleaving is on by default.
Community Veteran

I think you can control interleaving one way only via the member centre, otherwise it's by ticket.
I can't honestly remember which way it goes, I just remember I had to raise a ticket to turn mine off to get the full 8128k, but the member centre wasn't right anyway in my case.
(I had interleaving off before moving to PN and it was turned on during the migration)
Your attenuation of 27dB suggests a 2km line.

I have lots of housework to do (real housework Sad) but you've now prompted my to try the master socket as that extra half km might be my internal wiring.
Community Veteran

I wouldn't worry about your internal wiring now, you're so close to the maximum that it's not relevant. But if you ever get ADSL2+ it will very likely make a difference.
prichardson
Grafter

I would have to say, people may be hanging on to ADSL2+ a little more than they should.
Due to household circumstances, I am on an otherwise <un-named> provider. My router statistics on PlusNet Broadband were flipping fantastic.
Full DSL line rate, 20dB downstream loop loss, 17dB SNR, so a very good dose of copper between the property an the exchange.
After some recent events, loss of a phone service and choices made by the landlord, we now have ADSL2+. Who am I to complain Wink
20dB loop loss still, sitting at a comfortable and stable 7dB SNR, but only 16380kbps downstream (16.3mbps to the uninitiated).
The figures testers guestimators give are purely that, guesses. They are based around simple math (simple to somebody maybe, but far from me), coppers intrinsic characteristics and a heavy does of "what the manual says" for ADSL2+.
They are based around a set of ideal circumstances.
A car journey takes you from A to B and the speed limit dictates you will take X time. In practice, the ideals are never met, you meet a set of traffic lights, you find the old lady bringing home her shopping (no offence) and in the spirit of the calendar, you are fighting against bank holiday gridlock.
Copper has joints, weak points, exposure in some cases, cross talk from other pairs, RF interference and in the majority of cases, a huge dose of "the real world".
Don't be wowed by the heavy headlines, as you may be surprised at what you actually get.
We did have a bet in our house at what sync rate we would get as a result of ADSL2+. 20dB loop loss said 20256kbps under ideals. I said 17mbps, my house mate who used to work heavily with DSL said we should have no problem with the headline speed.
Well, somebody lost the bet and tonight during the boxing, I get to eat, drink and watch the TV for free thankfully.
Community Veteran

Quote from: P
I would have to say, people may be hanging on to ADSL2+ a little more than they should.

Not least a lot of people who have bought it and ignored the "up to" in the speed adverts.  Crazy
And if you think people get p'ed off with ADSL Max not being "as advertised" wait till ADSL2+ expands further.  Roll eyes
That said, I'm aware of more people who get better than predicted than are slower, once they fix their problems.  Cheesy These problems are many and varied.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Mines been slow recently... I'll have some of that special treatment if theres any spare going round?  Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!

Sorry guys but I've decided to keep the excess on one side for topping up in lean times Smiley