cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excellent News (2)...... Legal High`s, no longer legal...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Excellent News (2)...... Legal High`s, no longer legal...

A report in The News, Portsmouth Local daily paper, has some good news for "sane" people, but bad news for the idiots...

Legal High`s are illegal  ( edit.... removed wrong timeline ).. !

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/crime/shop-clears-legal-high-stock-following-new-law-1-7403730

14 REPLIES
Browni
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 35

Re: Excellent News (2)...... Legal High`s, no longer legal...

I thought they were already illegal?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-36382348

I must have been really bad in a previous life. This is my 3rd ISP in a row that uses lithium.
Community Veteran

@Browni  Your report dated 25 June..... also has a quote from the police.....

"From tomorrow..... it will be illegal to sell, produce, import, or export "legal highs"..

So... "tomorrow" would be the 26th... and today is the 27th.... I rest my case m`lud....

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Lol the article from Browni is from the 25th of May

Browni
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 35

Look closer.

My link is from 25th May.

I must have been really bad in a previous life. This is my 3rd ISP in a row that uses lithium.
Community Veteran

Oh... alright then... !  clever clogs ! ! !. Embarrassed.. they are still illegal, anyways  ! ! !   Cheesy

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Not so sure it is excellent news.

I fully agree they should be banned and those making/selling them should get long jail sentences but it is not going to stop it and many of the reported deaths were caused by the potency of the drug or other things in the drug so the question I pose is this, could a drug be made that would produce the same effect but be sold legally.

Before you all pile in and criticise me for putting forward such a question you need to remember that alcohol is a legal drug and used in moderation helps people to relax.

So to repeat I agree all legal highs should be banned but is there a case for a legal high ?

Community Veteran

Yup.   inclined to agree.... booze and [-Censored-]s... both are drugs... and both are legal... it`s a fine line...

I think the law is more designed to stop some chemically minded people producing potentially lethal drug combinations ( in unknown quantities )  that there is no real "control" over, nor any "proper" way of defining what people have "taken into their systems", either digestively or intravenously, when they get into difficulties, and have to be sorted out by the medics in A&E.. If the person in difficulties is incoherent, they will not be any help to the medics... also, that person, will probably not know the name(s) of the drugs in the "tablet" (or whatever)  nor the quantities or strength of those drugs...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

If people want to ingest chemicals that alter their mind (and have the potential to give them a somewhat permanent medical case of "not alive anymore"), let 'em, evolution is about survival of the smartest, if they want to chug caustic soda in a colourful packet then that's their problem... Smiley

Community Veteran

@twocvbloke to a point... I also agree with your sentiments...

however,... it becomes "someone elses problem" when they get into difficulties, either because they need medical help, or they get into "financial difficulties" and break into your home, or steal your car,.... then ... it becomes YOUR problem, too...  

It becomes your problem,too, because YOU pay taxes, which provide these druggies with medical help, that is being taken away/dissolved from other (shall we say) "more deserving causes"... like your mother, or sister, or brother, your children, your cousin,  etc.... and also. their "habit" takes away resources of the police and other emergency services to cope with the "side effects" of their lifestyle, in other words, the crime and corruption, and in many cases the aftermath of road accidents, or suicide attempts...  then... my friend,... it also becomes YOUR problem too...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

They should add Ethyl Hydroxide to the list. I overdosed on it the other day and felt quite ill.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

shutter wrote:

it also becomes YOUR problem too...

My solution would be to just throw the into the furnaces of a coal fired power station, use them for generating power for the masses who aren't stupid enough to take drugs... Smiley

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Back to the op this can only be a good thing, my daughter ( a very vulnerable teenager )  fell unconscious to what ever the hell it was she took due to legal highs. They are a big problem especially for  ( in my daughters case ) vulnerable teenagers.

But like everything else what you cant get one way you can get another. Luckily she seen sense but children have died due to not having a clue what they are taking.

Edit: and as a parent it is scary as hell. A cry for help in my daughters case.

Fixes: 125

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav)

I have removed several posts that were starting to become too personal with insults.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

It's a bit sad and also pointless in making personal remarks as the post(s) just get deleted.

This is an important topic as we either have children or know people with children and if we as adults cannot discuss this in a serious way what chance for our children.

When we were younger we all did daft things often under peer group pressure, things we would not do today. So it cannot be a matter of if someone is daft enough to do it let them, equally there are many everyday household products that children can use to get high so sure education about the dangers is essential but not the whole answer.