Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exceeding the Speed Limit

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Exceeding the Speed Limit

Alex was just waiting for a mobile phone light enough for him to carry!

Further to my earlier post (No 42) above, just past the bus stop where I get the bus to work there is one of those misshapen cirlces with '20' in them painted on the road (not sure why the speed restriction starts half way down a B-road).  This morning two cars came along at high speed, probably above 50 mph, ignoring both the painted sign and the general 30 mph one in built-up areas.  Yes, it was about 4.30am. but that's irrelevant.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jonpe wrote:

Alex was just waiting for a mobile phone light enough for him to carry!

Mini Phone.jpg

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

The hand is not where those tiny plastic phones are usually carried.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

@petlew wrote:

@Alex 10p's, you're a spring chicken then.

Had to remember old pennies, 4d and press button A or button B to get your money back if it didn't connect.

Anyone remember party lines? was on one of those for years, when phone numbers still used letter prefix's.

Thanks @petlew, not quite now sadly - but I am flattered by your comments and will give you a thanks in a bit anyway :grin:

I can't remember where I read this, but a bit of a boring and interesting fact is that before 0 became 01, that city number prefixes are based on the letters. For example Birmingham 021 - B. Manchester 061 - M. I actually have (trying not to give too much personal detail away) a Dartford now 01322 number - so then 0322. 0322 = DAA.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Some did. Where I lived in London, the change from letters didn't equate to the numbers after the change. Neither did possibly one of the most famous of all time, that of Scotland Yard which was Whitehall 1212.

Oddly, having just looked, my iPhone phone keyboard includes letter in the same places they used to be on a rotating phone dial (remember those?) I wonder why.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Oh! so does the phone in the photo a couple of posts above this one. Do some other countries in the world still use letters? and the maker is catering for all types.

Edit/ oh of course they're used for texting...doh!!

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Well I am old enough to remember trying to text on a numeric keypad back when I had a old Nokia. I was terrible at it and it took me forever.

Best phone I had for texting was a Nokia E72. Took me a day to used to the keypad, thought "I'll never get used to this" but surprisingly I did.

Still with an iPhone now I can manage, but I could still text faster on the E72  - even now. :smiley: 

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

Yes, the original exchange codes, i.e. the first three digits of the old 7-digit numbers, were based on the names they replaced.  I lived at Lancaster Gate and had a 723 number which is PAD for Paddington.  There were 743 numbers (SHE) for Shepherd's Bush etc.  More information here: http://rhaworth.net/phreak/tenp_01.php

With the introduction of a prefixed digit some of these 'codes' are reused in a completely different part of town with another initial digit, and we now have numbers beginning with 30, 70, and 80 which are all new since it had been impossible to have a seven-digit geographical number starting with a zero.  Also numbers starting 3999, 7999, and 8999 are now possible whilst no numbers starting with 999 previously existed, for obvious reasons.

It's amazing how many seven or eight-digit numbers we were able to remember 'in the old days'; now we hardly have to remember any.

Community Veteran

Yes @Jonpe it is funny,

I'm kind of in the middle of two exchanges, the one I know I am connected to (I even know where it is, have driven past it) and the other one. That would mean I would be on an 020 8 number, but I am not.

I am probably still a bit of a nerd (looks for an emotion for that .. damn not there .. must raise a post on the Community Feedback Forums about this!).

I will probably pass it today, and let's be honest some of us on here and staff too.

When you pass an exchange building youself do you take interest on the exterior and what is going on?

Yes I do :tongue:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@petlew wrote:

On the two or three cars I've had with cruise control, it doesn't work terribly well below 40 mph, and makes the car shudder and shake at 30. One of the cars wouldn't let you set at 30 mph anyway. Its not really designed for in town driving more for open fast roads. Indeed the current one I have doesn't recommend its use at all below 45 mph (for the comfort of the occupants).

All my cars have Cruise Controls that work exceptionally well at 30 mph, and just below.

They are all Automatic Gearboxes.

No problems at all in Town Traffic.

The Ford KUGA I have on order, Petrol, Automatic, AWD, has a Cruise control that works down to 20mph.

There is one local "major" minor road I use a lot, that has a 20mph speed limit over a couple of miles, with Speed Cameras.