Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exceeding the Speed Limit

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Exceeding the Speed Limit

@petlew wrote:

On the two or three cars I've had with cruise control, it doesn't work terribly well below 40 mph, and makes the car shudder and shake at 30. One of the cars wouldn't let you set at 30 mph anyway. Its not really designed for in town driving more for open fast roads. Indeed the current one I have doesn't recommend its use at all below 45 mph (for the comfort of the occupants).

All my cars have Cruise Controls that work exceptionally well at 30 mph, and just below.

They are all Automatic Gearboxes.

No problems at all in Town Traffic.

On older (non automatic) Renault (18?) had a "selector button" Cruise Control that worked well at 20 mph.

Community Veteran

@billnotben wrote:

I completely fail to understand the mentality of "my life is your responsibility" pedestrians and cyclists.

Never used to be like this. People took more care. Care of themselves.

Maybe we need a new Green Cross Man.

007D996D00000258-0-image-61_1416527678729.jpg

Lower and lower speed limits will just bring the country to a halt. So either we put our hands in our pockets and pay to completely separate vehicles and pedestrians or go back to basics educating people on how to safely cross roads.

Bring back the man with the red flag to walk in front of cars. That should please some people.

christmas
Aspiring Pro

@Alex wrote:

....Of course lets lower the speed limit everywhere, to a point where it is quicker to walk. Your deliveries and costs for servicing your property will increase of course, as there would be very little else an employee could do in a day. 

:rolleyes:

It's reported... 

The average speed on the UK’s A-roads in the past 12 months was 25.5mph, putting into context the level of congestion across the country. UK drivers sat in traffic for an average of 45sec for each mile they drove in March, according to the latest figures from the Department for Transport (DfT).

Meanwhile in London

Transport for London's latest figures state that for the first quarter of 2011/2012 the average traffic speed on major London roads for the 12 hours between 7am to 7pm was 19.33 mph and over the same period was 8.98 mph across Central London.

christmas
Aspiring Pro

@gleneagles wrote:

I noticed whilst driving that if a passenger in the car attempts to use their iphone a message comes up asking if they are driving

Clearly the system knows if a phone is moving over a particular speed so would it be reasonable to block any phone above a certain speed excluding emergency services etc.

This might sound over the top and would never be agreed to but how many lives would be saved and accidents prevented if it was implemented.

Experiments have been carried out restricting the top speed of vehicles by electronic means in different speed zones.

Those tests were with a driver at the wheel, with driverless cars it could be taken a stage further maintain steady flow of traffic rather than the current stop/go situation, traffic lights would become obsolete ? 

Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Maybe this is what's needed...

speedenforcer.JPG

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

Drones would be a cheaper and easier solution.

Pete11
Seasoned Pro

@gleneagles wrote:

True, but drones don't come with built-in rocket launchers. :2funny:

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 30

@christmas wrote:

Meanwhile in London

Transport for London's latest figures state that for the first quarter of 2011/2012 the average traffic speed on major London roads for the 12 hours between 7am to 7pm was 19.33 mph and over the same period was 8.98 mph across Central London.

Which,... I believe, is slower than when London was congested with horse & cab, taxi`s.. and horse drawn buses 

https://goo.gl/images/hoykdV

Community Veteran

@Pete11 wrote:

Maybe this is what's needed...

speedenforcer.JPG

I don't know where this pic was taken but in Essex Police do a similar operation on certain roads.

I really think the Police has better uses it can find for its helicopters.

Fixes: 389

@Pete11 wrote:

@gleneagles wrote:

True, but drones don't come with built-in rocket launchers. :2funny:

You sure about that:wink:

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Pete11
Seasoned Pro

oooooh, can i have one?  :cheesy:

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

"The benefits of this scheme include making roads easier to cross ... "  Yes, those with the " ... mentality of "my life is your responsibility ... "" will find it easier to cross just wherever they like, even if there is a crossing nearby.

I regularly see people getting off the bus on a busy road and just walking in front of the bus and crossing the road with no regard for cars that may, quite lawfully, be overtaking the bus.  Others just walk into a busy road without even waiting for a gap in the traffic and expect the cars to stop for them.  I wonder if they'd do this if they'd have to pay up front for medical care should their selfish stupidity result in a broken leg or other injury.  The phrase "That'll be £45,000 Sir/Madam" might stop them doing it again.  And no, I'm not arguing for the abolition of the NHS!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

@gleneagles wrote:

How did we manage before the days of mobile phones ? 

Well back before then I had to use payphones and made sure I had enough 10p's left on me to make sure I had enough to complete the call. Anyone remember Phonecards?

Yes I used to use them too. :tongue:

I remember my dad getting a mobile, which wasn't GSM. It cost something like £1 a minute, with line rental and you had to go some news agent which had a sign. Wasn't it Phonepoint and Rabbit (or something like that).

I didn't get a mobile until 1997.

Showing my age :cheesy:

Champnet
All Star
Fixes: 2

I remember having to look for the Rabbit....

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@Alex 10p's, you're a spring chicken then.

Had to remember old pennies, 4d and press button A or button B to get your money back if it didn't connect.

Anyone remember party lines? was on one of those for years, when phone numbers still used letter prefix's.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.