cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exceeding the Speed Limit

Fixes: 384

Re: Exceeding the Speed Limit

A busy 30mph road near me was full of potholes meaning drivers had to go slowly to negotiate them.

The road was completely resurfaced and given a 20mph limit.

Talk about one thing cancelling the other out :rolleyes:

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 73.0.1 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
christmas
Aspiring Pro

There was an item on the radio comparing a vehicle travelling at 20mph and 25mph and having to suddenly stop. In the distance a 20mph vehicle could come to a stop, a vehicle travelling at 25mph would still be travelling at 18mph. 

Community Veteran

....and your point? Are you suggesting we all drive at 20mph?

@gleneagles I note he is 'recommending' this rather than saying we are implementing this.

He is the chief officer with responsibility for speeding. His job is to recommend any changes to all of the chief officers and any change has to be agreed with them all.

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

Here in the London Borough of Ealing (Queen of the Suburbs don't you know) we've had a 20mph speed limit on all side streets for a while now.  I haven't seen any statistics showing that there are fewer accidents; the level of harmful emissions will presumably have gone up as cars crawl along.

christmas
Aspiring Pro

@artmo wrote:

....and your point? Are you suggesting we all drive at 20mph?

The discussion has been about the tolerance allowed for speeding vehicles it demonstrates the difference just an additional 5mph can make to the impact speed.

christmas
Aspiring Pro

@Jonpe wrote:

Here in the London Borough of Ealing (Queen of the Suburbs don't you know) we've had a 20mph speed limit on all side streets for a while now. 

20mph isn't exactly crawling along and would anyone feel compelled to drive at 30mph along residential roads?

According to Ealing council in 2016....

On average, 200 people are injured in collisions in the Acton area each year. With the  implementation of the new 20mph speed limit, the council estimates that at least 14 incidents could be prevented each year.

Also...

The benefits of this scheme include making roads easier to cross and less noise from road traffic.  

Some evidence from ROSPA

The majority of pedestrian casualties occur in built up areas: 29 of the 34 child pedestrians and 302 of the 413 adult pedestrians who were killed in 2016, died on built-up roads.

A recent review identified the studies which had produced the most reliable modern estimates4. The results from one of these studies is presented in figure 1, which shows a fatality risk of 1.5% at 20 mph versus 8% at 30 mph.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I completely fail to understand the mentality of "my life is your responsibility" pedestrians and cyclists.

Never used to be like this. People took more care. Care of themselves.

Maybe we need a new Green Cross Man.

007D996D00000258-0-image-61_1416527678729.jpg

Lower and lower speed limits will just bring the country to a halt. So either we put our hands in our pockets and pay to completely separate vehicles and pedestrians or go back to basics educating people on how to safely cross roads.

Perhaps a phone app? One that shouts out "Hey stupid stop looking at your phone, you're just about to cross a road".

Fixes: 387

I do feel that the modern safety features on today's cars (ABS, air bags, and so on) contribute to the number of drivers speeding and taking risks feeling safe in the knowledge they are protected. Whether that contributes towards the accident rate may be for another discussion.

As has heen said before in General Chat; Strip the cars of the safety features and place a spike on the steering wheel then most drivers will proceed with more caution.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Fixes: 387

I think another issue is all the hi-viz jackets worn even by children. Again I think it can lead to a false sense of security.

Plus the number of adults crossing the road anywhere with thier children rather than walk a little further to the relative safety of a designated crossing seems much greater than years ago. It teaches the young bad habits.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

christmas
Aspiring Pro

@billnotben wrote:

I completely fail to understand the mentality of "my life is your responsibility" pedestrians and cyclists.

Never used to be like this. People took more care. Care of themselves.

Perhaps a phone app? One that shouts out "Hey stupid stop looking at your phone, you're just about to cross a road".

There is an argument that says making roads more dangerous makes people more cautious making the roads safer, by that argument safety features in cars, air bags, seatbelts, speedometer, soft interiors should be removed.

Give everyone a gun and make the country far safer?

How about an app that stops motorists being able to use their mobile phone whilst driving.

christmas
Aspiring Pro

@Mav wrote:

I do feel that the modern safety features on today's cars (ABS, air bags, and so on) contribute to the number of drivers speeding and taking risks feeling safe in the knowledge they are protected.

That's an interesting point, something I've noticed is the shortening of the distance of when a driver starts braking which makes it difficult for pedestrians to judge if a car is going to slow down & stop at a crossing.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Whatever the slow speed, on our local roads, the Hybrid tends to run silently in electric mode, so I do give a gentle beep when approaching a cyclist or pedestrian crossing the road, or mums & children on pavement, to warn them of my presence.

Similar for side roads, more than once a cyclist has come steaming out of a side road, not realising I was approaching.

Night-time no horn needed, the car headlights give warning of my presence.

As for speed limits in general, Cruise Control is in constant use.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

On the two or three cars I've had with cruise control, it doesn't work terribly well below 40 mph, and makes the car shudder and shake at 30. One of the cars wouldn't let you set at 30 mph anyway. Its not really designed for in town driving more for open fast roads. Indeed the current one I have doesn't recommend its use at all below 45 mph (for the comfort of the occupants).

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

@gleneagles I note he is 'recommending' this rather than saying we are implementing this.

He is the chief officer with responsibility for speeding. His job is to recommend any changes to all of the chief officers and any change has to be agreed with them all.

Well typical .. he is hardly going to keep his job by doing nothing. He has to justify why he is there.

That could have at least employed someone who possesed a ceberum.

I find it highly unlikely he'll say (let's ban all of those 20 MPH zones), although with some exceptions (such as schools for example) I would agree on that.

Of course lets lower the speed limit everywhere, to a point where it is quicker to walk. Your deliveries and costs for servicing your property will increase of course, as there would be very little else an employee could do in a day. 

:rolleyes:

Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

I noticed whilst driving that if a passenger in the car attempts to use their iphone a message comes up asking if they are driving

Clearly the system knows if a phone is moving over a particular speed so would it be reasonable to block any phone above a certain speed excluding emergency services etc.

This might sound over the top and would never be agreed to but how many lives would be saved and accidents prevented if it was implemented.

Let's be honest the majority of things people speak to each other about on the phone is rubbish and totally unnecessary......

How did we manage before the days of mobile phones ?