cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exceeding the Speed Limit

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Exceeding the Speed Limit

There is a general understanding with the Police that they will show tolerance to drivers caught speeding just over the speed limit. Most Forces do not prosecute drivers up to a 10% + 2 mile tolerance.

The police chief responsible for speeding issues has now recommended that no tolerance be allowed and motorists be prosecuted for doing just 1 mile over the limit.

Motoring Fines

What do you think about this? Is it right or is it just another way of getting more money out of the motorist?

54 REPLIES 54
All Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Exceeding the Speed Limit

If you exceed speed limits then don't be surprised if you get caught, but the motorist may not know what actual speed he/she's doing. The problem is most cars have not had their speedometers calibrated. Wrong tyre pressures, wrong tyres & even wrong/ modded wheels can distort the actual speed....

Highlighted
Fixes: 415

I have a dash-cam in my car and when not displaying the road ahead it displays the current speed of the vehicle.

There is an average of 3mph discrepancy between my car's speedometer and the dash-cam with the dash-cam showing the lower figure.

I trust the GPS technology in the dash-cam.

I always try to keep a lookout for speed cameras and slow down past them.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 74.0 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

I don't know how true it is but I was told that car speedometers are only accurate to + or - 10% and this is part of the rationale behind the Police view.

I also heard that speedometers are specified at -0% +10%. This article seems to back that up.

The law for car speedometers in the UK

The UK law is based on the EU standard, with some minor changes. A speedo must never show less than the actual speed, and must never show more than 110% of actual speed + 6.25mph. So if your true speed is 40mph, your speedo could legally be reading up to 50.25mph but never less than 40mph. Or to put it another way, if your speedo is reading 50mph, you won’t be doing more than 50mph but it’s possible you might actually only be travelling at 40mph.

To ensure that they comply with the law and make sure that their speedometers are never showing less than true speed under any foreseeable circumstances, car manufacturers will normally deliberately calibrate their speedos to read ‘high’ by a certain amount. As your satnav is not the designated device by which a car’s speed is measured, it does not need to incorporate any fudge factoring.

Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 1

Of course speeders should be fined but not for 2-3mph over. You are reliant on what the car is telling you and as stated above speedos are not calibrated. 

If they state they won't attend any shop lifting offence under £200 as one force did, then they should show a little lenience for speeding. It can be an offence not deliberately committed unlike parking on double yellows or in restricted areas.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Today's modern police where the primary concern is whether a motorist is breaking the rules, rather than whether the speed he's driving is dangerous.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

Additionally the equipment the police rely on to establish your speed needs to be accurate.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

As I understand it the Police have to check their equipment before they start using it but how do they do this?

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I stand to be corrected, but I believe that wily lawyers have beaten speeding prosecutions by being able to prove that police have been unable to show that they checked and calibrated their speed measuring equipment at the start of their shift. 

My speedo, dashcam or satnav hardly ever agree on my speed. I usually rely on the speedo on the principle that it over reads my actual speed. Further, I also understand gps devices are subject to terrain variations such as hills or valleys, the only time they should be relied on is a dead level straight road - wherever you might find one of those -.  

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Highlighted
Fixes: 394

@AlaricAdair wrote:

Today's modern police where the primary concern is whether a motorist is breaking the rules, rather than whether the speed he's driving is dangerous.

There is so much being done to confuse the motorist and catch them out like suddenly reducing a road that was previous 60mph to 50mph. Of course they add a sign at the start and repeaters but it's frequently done on roads where there is no obvious sign that the limit needs to be reduced. I would say that in many of the roads they have done that to around my area there is no reason to do so.

As @AlaricAdair suggests, it is dangerous driving (which happens below any limits as well) that makes the road dangerous for other users and pedestrians. It's that that needs to be address as well as all those doing the school run who think they can park anywhere and just pull in without even indicating.

@artmo wrote:

As I understand it the Police have to check their equipment before they start using it but how do they do this?

Do the fixed roadside speed cameras have to be calibrated regularly?

What about all those roads that have speed camera signs but, in fact, have never had a camera installed. I don't think that is right as I am sure there are many motorists looking out for the next one rather than concentrating on their driving. Again, it's dangerous driving rather than speeding that needs to have zero tolerance.

@petlew wrote:
...the only time they should be relied on is a dead level straight road - wherever you might find one of those -.

Essex?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Highlighted
Pro

Well it's not Lincolnshire as we have too many potholes, subsidence and sunken utility channels. 

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Just thought I'd throw this into the mix. Speeds are based on EU standards, so what happens if/when we leave the EU? Yet another review and alterations must be made to the laws governing the speed issues. And yet again, all the changes will be made in the governments favour, not the drivers.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

I don't understand that. How are our speed limits based on EU law?
Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@artmo wrote:
I don't understand that. How are our speed limits based on EU law?

Based on what you said in one of your posts...

The UK law is based on the EU standard, with some minor changes. A speedo must never show less than the actual speed, and must never show more than 110% of actual speed + 6.25mph. So if your true speed is 40mph, your speedo could legally be reading up to 50.25mph but never less than 40mph. Or to put it another way, if your speedo is reading 50mph, you won’t be doing more than 50mph but it’s possible you might actually only be travelling at 40mph.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

@artmo wrote:

There is a general understanding with the Police that they will show tolerance to drivers caught speeding just over the speed limit. Most Forces do not prosecute drivers up to a 10% + 2 mile tolerance.

The police chief responsible for speeding issues has now recommended that no tolerance be allowed and motorists be prosecuted for doing just 1 mile over the limit.

Motoring Fines

What do you think about this? Is it right or is it just another way of getting more money out of the motorist?

I note he is 'recommending' this rather than saying we are implementing this.

Perhaps his intention in making the statement is that some motorists might think it is or soon wil be taking place and thus lower their speed.

I guess the press will have a field day if someone is charged with exceeding the limit by one mile per hour.