cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Everyone is in such a rush these days........

gnicholson8
Grafter

Everyone is in such a rush these days........

It seems in these days today everyone is in a rush and everything must happen immediately.
What has happened to the art of patience and waiting? Everyone seems to expect everything to happen immediately and NOW and if it doesn't they kick up a fuss and demand "special" treatment.
For example, I work at a Hotel near a major London airport and as such we run airport parking/transfers, the amount of customers who arrive, last minute (ie 11:00am for a 11:20 flight) then blame us as we're unable to get them to the airport straight away because they missed their booked transfer and have to, Shock Horror, wait for 20 minutes and demand we pay for the flight they missed...
I don't know if I am becoming disillusioned with the world but generally, the public these days are HORRIBLE, horrible people.
So, out of curiosity, do you think people are more impatient these days than they have been before, and, here is the kicker, do you think the internet has influenced it?
Personally, I think having access to an immediate source of information, bookings, access to shops where everything is instant has changed behaviour of people in general. (I am probably guilty of it)
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Everyone is in such a rush these days........

Sorry, ain't got the time to respond!  Wink
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I think the issue is consumerism - I'm the customer and I'm right even if I know nothing about the service or product I am being supplied  Crazy
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
myredhotcar
Grafter

I keep hearing how things have changed for the worse: kids today have no respect; crime has gone up (so we all have to use metal locks instead of the traditional paper ones); houses aren't built like they used to be; modern candyfloss is made out of E numbers and botulism instead of old-fashioned sugar; criminals now are bad compared to the angelic Krays, and so on.
Usually, if I do my research, I find things either haven't got worse or they have actually got a bit better. I am not saying this is true with your issue (as I haven't done any research), but I bet people have been saying such things since time immemorial.
You say you work in a hotel near a major airport; this could be the problem. Maybe along with a touch of conformation bias  Wink
gnicholson8
Grafter

Maybe I am biased but even as a customer I see everywhere expecting everything to be done now. I was sitting in the garage while my car was being serviced and someone was demanding a discount because he had turned up (without booking) and demanded they fixed his flat tire, he was told It would be a couple of hours as they were busy and he starts shouting/swearing demanding a discount and how this is outrageous customer service and they're making him wait for it, I even stepped in as I could see the receptionist was clearly shocked and stunned.
The attitude that "the customer gets what he wants, right now, right away, if not you give me something for free" is outrageous, I am only 25 and I never ever saw this when I growing up and even in the last few years, in my experience it seems more common place.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Just been scanning some family correspondence files from the 1850's, my OCR software cannot interpret hand written letters. so was typing the letters in.
Reading about a field boundary dispute between our family and the neighbours, where the letters and discussion lasted nearly 5 years with frequent "on-site" meetings and regular updates on "neutral territory", which I assume was the local pub, all beautifully documented in a copper plate script.
What was  surprising, is both parties were overly polite, there was no rush, all the letters went into great detail and were very readable with gossip on local personalities and 'hatched, matched, dispatched' congratulations and commiserations.
I wonder if 'facebook' will prove as interesting in 160 years.
myredhotcar
Grafter

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."
Aristophanes 423 BC
WTF
Grafter

Quote from: gnicholson8
The attitude .. is outrageous

I'm a lot older and I can assure you there have always been a-holes  Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Yes but the point being made is that there are more a-holes these days ! Smiley
myredhotcar
Grafter

@ gleneagles
But are there? Smiley
[Moderator's note by Dick (Strat):  Full quote of preceding post removed, as per Forum Rule]
Edit: clarity after quote cull  Huh
gnicholson8
Grafter

Quote from: WTF
Quote from: gnicholson8
The attitude .. is outrageous

I'm a lot older and I can assure you there have always been a-holes  Roll eyes

Lol yeah, but as gleneagles says, there are more of them.
At least in my opinion there seems to be more.
Fixes: 47

But might it not be because everyone is rushing about they meet a-holes more often, not that there are more of them.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
gnicholson8
Grafter

You know what, I see what you mean,
It would be interesting to see if people interact with more or less people on a daily basis and they did 10/20/30 years ago.
Thunderclap
Grafter

Cool Just ease back dudes

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

theres far more a-holes now because there are far more people and the idiots all see the a-holes making faster headway so mimic them until they in due turn also become a-holes making it a geometric problem each time the population density increases !
what most fail to realise is that whilst the more amenable characters take longer to make headway everyone remembers them as being nice and there assent to the top of society ends up far above the a-holes who all end up stuck at the same rung fighting to stay at there new found heights before the inevitable nasty plummet.
the internet isn't to blame only the failure of teaching figures to adapt to the new delivery mechanism to ensure correct education, sadly every parent holds some blame in this and of course good old fashioned greed drives the problem to have deeper roots in the more impressionable of society
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you