cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Everyone is going to get smellier...

Crunchie
Rising Star

Everyone is going to get smellier...

... now that we're being told not to wash our clothes so often.

Is Stella McCartney right - should we stop washing our clothes?

The basic gist is that washing your clothes wears them out quicker and can release up to 9 million plastic micro-fibres into the environment on every wash.

The advice is to let the dirt dry and just brush it off and treat stains as they appear.

The guy who runs Levi's maintains that you should never have a need to wash your jeans.

Pete
33 REPLIES 33
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Everyone is going to get smellier...

I thought she was talking about outer clothing., surely not more personal items, and as to jeans (not that I care about Jean'sFunny), if worn 'commando' a brush down seems inadequate. 

My personal view is that we are becoming too clean, and perhaps to our detriment of reduced immunity.

I recall several years ago hearing Joanna Lunley, who had visited ?Bhutan?, saying clothes worn one day were hung up and re worn on the fourth, and all odour had gone.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
TTman
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 1

@Luzern  The daily fail has an article asking how often you should wash your Bra. ( not you personaly...I presume it doesnt apply):rolleyes:

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

@Luzern wrote:

My personal view is that we are becoming too clean, and perhaps to our detriment of reduced immunity.

I recall several years ago hearing Joanna Lunley, who had visited ?Bhutan?, saying clothes worn one day were hung up and re worn on the fourth, and all odour had gone.

My view too. My missus is a clean freak, I'm a slob. Although i'll always wash my hands after handling the dustbin or going toilet or handling animals (esp dogs) I don't always bother at other times. My partner is a nurse so gets exposed to plenty of germs anyway. Like most little lads our boy hates washing his hands too lol - and I don't enforce that too much having read about strict hygiene in childhood raising the risk of adult leukemia significantly. 

A relative of mine was also a clean freak / germophobe and ended up with leukemia. They also used to carry 5 mobile phones and getting hold of them was a pain as they'd still never answer. Going on the mobile phones thing this is one reason I still do not think they are safe. I keep my data and wifi turned off as much as possible - i do forget sometimes but generally if i'm not using it, it's turned off. Last year i developed a nasty set of hives on my face after using 4G for 1.5 hours for a video call. From that point on, every time i went near light or anything with EM radiation I'd get a very bad flare up - confirmed by the hospital lab from a biopsy that was taken. Who knows what that has done to me internally - or what it's doing to you lot. Steve Jobs died of cancer and he was surrounded by iPhones..

I'm not convinced that deodorants are good for us either. Sweat is supposed to come out. Yes it can smell and be offensive but it was never designed to stay in.

@Luzern wrote:

To be fair i've found myself mulling over that tactic a few times. Never actually tried it but I have been tempted to.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
TTman
Seasoned Champion

@7up  A well dressed guy walks into a public toilet for a wee. Before leaving he stops to wash his hands. The scruffy guy next to him just goes to walk out without washing his hands. The smart guy says to him 'At Eton we were taught to wash our hands after using the toilet' The scruffy guy answers 'In borstal we were taught not to wee on our hands!'

sorry could not resistCrazy3

Champnet
Champion
Fixes: 7

I've always thought it would be more hygienic to wash hands before using the Urinals......

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Champnet 

"I've always thought it would be more hygienic to wash hands before using the Urinals...... "

Not that I do as at my age as I'm often in a rush, but before and afterwards would be ideal.

As for not washing my clothes, well the day I can lick myself like a cat or scratch my arsenal along the ground like a dog I might consider it but until then, it's clean pants and vests every day if you dont mind. Wink

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

When you've washed and dried your hands in customer loos in many places, you then have to stand there for what could turn into hours waiting for someone else to come in and open the door so you don't have to touch it with your clean hands.

Why do the doors always open inwards meaning you're expected to grab a handle which is probably laden with bugs?  Huh

I sometimes use the crook of my little finger, but many times use a piece of (unused!) toilet paper or a paper towel if available and just drop it on the floor.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

It makes sense to me to return to natural fabrics for clothing, it worked for everyone for thousands of years so ...

Sure they'll need washing, regardless of how clean you try yo keep yourself, but if there are only natural fabrics in the washing machine this would significantly reduce the amount of microfibres being output in the waste water.

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

@RobPN wrote:

When you've washed and dried your hands in customer loos in many places, you then have to stand there for what could turn into hours waiting for someone else to come in and open the door so you don't have to touch it with your clean hands.

Why do the doors always open inwards meaning you're expected to grab a handle which is probably laden with bugs?  Huh

I sometimes use the crook of my little finger, but many times use a piece of (unused!) toilet paper or a paper towel if available and just drop it on the floor.  

I have come across a few places where hand wipes are next to the door with a bin underneath, open the door using the handwipe, hold door open with your foot whilst dropping the handwipe in the bin.

Seems a obvious solution to me.

Mrs G was remarking on the number of women who use the toilet and leave without washing their hands...so it's not just a issue for men but at least their is an excuse for men.....we have less time on our hands.

Wink

As for urine, well it's not a poison, indeed it has some useful uses, don't believe me...look it up on the internet !

We are born into history and history is born into us.
gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

@Crunchie 

Of course most people are going to get more smellier, considering the vast range of perfumes available today and not just used by women but men as well.

For a example of what's available go to any airport, takes at least 5 minutes to navigate your way through all those perfume counters and whilst at the same time avoiding being blasted with a free sample, can't stop sneezing once I get in those places hence I never use the stuff.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
TTman
Seasoned Champion

@gleneagles  Indeed urine was used in leather tanning and i recall reading somewhere that carts went round the streets collecting urine. Cannot remember what the use of it was tho.Cool_smiley

Mav
Fixes: 431

In the article from the OP it states:

She advises against overloading washing machines for the same reason - fewer clothes in the drum means there's less friction.

So fewer clothes at a time means more washes which uses more electricity that has a potential impact on the environment.

All this is a load of ol' bunkum to me. Probably designed (see what I did there) to get people to buy more of her over-priced clothes and perfumes.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Crunchie
Rising Star

Really?  Telling people that clothes last longer because you don't wash them more often leads to people buying more clothes?

If that's a ploy to sell more clothes, I really don't get it.

Pete
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

@Minivanman wrote:

@Champnet 

, it's clean pants and vests every day if you dont mind. Wink

What a decadent lifestyle  ! ! ! .. surely there is the other option... inside out. and back to front... that would be almost a week before needing to wash them  Shocked! !   thus saving water and power ! ! ... Smiley