cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Every year it's the same.

peter10
Grafter

Every year it's the same.

My Green Flag breakdown cover is coming to an end and the renewal has gone up by well over £20 despite no call out. Searching various comparison sites and using their own web site I can get the price down to the same as last year. On phoning them to ask why the increase they offered to match the lowest price. Why do I have to go through this every year? I wish a company would offer me a proper quote to begin with. It's the same with house and car insurance and even ISP providers are open to giving discounts if you ask. I usually end up switching insurance companies and nearly switched ISP this year. I know they rely on inertia but wonder how much custom they lose because a large premium increase make people shop around..
Moan over. It does get me in a grumpy mood.
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Every year it's the same.

A lot is to do with how much time customers have to spend searching through the cost of alternatives, I guess for some people saving £20 or £30 is simply not worth the hassle,
Fixes: 125

Apathy and not even knowing you can negotiate a better deal also come into play.
Several years ago I happened to be at my parent's house when they got the renewal for contents and buildings insurance from Prudential which was getting on for £700. Year on year they had simply renewed without question. I did some searching and got them a deal with another company for around a third of that. The policy was better as well offering more cover.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

At one time if you had a mortgage the building society could insist you took out a policy with a specific company fortunately this was stopped long ago so you ended up paying a massive premium . We pay less now that we did 30 years ago and that was on a property that was worth a lot less than the current one.
Community Veteran

I'm lazy when it comes to insurance. It's only when I see a large increase in premium that I start looking around.
@Salmo, I get breakdown cover free with my bank account. I know it's paid for somewhere but not my me directly.

I get breakdown cover from my bank along with travel insurance for both SWMBO and myself plus mobile phone and gadget insurance.
Also included is a legal helpline, will writing service and some other stuff I can't quite remember. I pay £15 a month for all this but I feel it's good value with the breakdown cover and insurances alone.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran

@Mav, With Lloyds the perks are not as good as yours are. I get breakdown cover, travel insurance, mobile phone insurance but I don't pay a monthly fee for it.

@artmo I'm with Barclays and the breakdown cover Includes Roadside, Recovery, At Home, Onward Travel and European cover.
Just had a look at the website again and, in addition to the above, I also get Extended Warranty and Card Secure

Community Veteran

@Mav, that sounds a good deal Smiley
Community Veteran

No doubt some of these deals sound good but you do have to be careful as I understand only the basic service is provided, for example with the breakdown service I think it means road side repair or taken to the nearest garage which may be all you need but if you travel any distance the nearest garage may prove to be an expensive option compared with getting a service direct from the company which gives you options like car and up to 5 passengers taken to the destination of your choice.
not sure what holiday insurance covers but I guess it will just be the Basic level

Barclays seem to offer pretty comprehensive cover through the RAC
24 hour, 365 days a year cover.
• Personal based breakdown cover (non-commercial
vehicles only, excluding certain vehicle types).
• Roadside repair, where possible, of mechanical and
electrical problems (parts charged at cost).
• Nationwide recovery service to anywhere within the
UK, Guernsey, Jersey and the Isle of Man (including
your home address) if the problem can’t be fixed at
the roadside.
• At Home assistance – if your car won’t start
at home.
• Onward travel assistance in the form of either a
replacement hire car for up to one day, hotel
accommodation or alternative transport
arrangements.
• European cover in the designated

The travel insurance is world-wide and very comprehensive inc £10,000,000 emergency medical cover and £ 2,000,000 personal liability. Most Excesses are zero except a few at £50.
They no longer offer all this to new account holders and, in the 7 years I've held the account, there has only been one increase from £14 to £15.

Fixes: 104

Quote from: artmo
@Mav, With Lloyds the perks are not as good as yours are. I get breakdown cover, travel insurance, mobile phone insurance but I don't pay a monthly fee for it.

With Lloyds you used to get it for free with X amount paid into the account, others paid for it. When TSB split they removed that, which is very annoying as customers didn't get a choice as to which bank we were with..
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

It's still free with Lloyds but I'm not sure if they have a minimum deposit level. If you were to open an account now I don't think it would be free. I am grandfathered in to the account.
I know a lot of people were upset to find they were moved to TSB. I wasn't so it didn't affect me. Could you not request to stay with Lloyds at the changeover?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I use START Rescue.... reasonably cheap... there are three levels of service... I have the one that says I can have the vehicle and contents transported to, either, destination OR home,... my choice.  I have had this for a couple of years... response time is about 1 hour...  I had them transport me home from about 15 miles, because the brake light switch went faulty, and I did not have any brake lights....
peter10
Grafter

Thanks for some interesting replies. I changed bank accounts last year and went for an interest paying current account. The packaged accounts from some banks were fine for breakdown cover but for travel insurance the ones that I checked with would not cover pre-existing conditions. I didn't think that in my case the cost of the account was worth it with having to pay extra to cover my pre-existing conditions for travel. However I can see for some people they would be worth it.