Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Every 7 minutes....

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Every 7 minutes....

Police nab a driver on their phone every seven minutes, despite harsh new penalties

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/police-nab-driver-phone-every-10521141

More than 200 drivers a day were caught using a mobile at the wheel immediately after tougher penalties for the offence came into effect, figures show.

UK police caught almost 6,000 drivers using their devices while driving in the four weeks after 1 March.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40079382

Personally, I think anyone spotted by the Police should immediately have their phone and vehicle confiscated.

Let them walk home, with no means of arranging someone to collect them !!

Our phones are bluetoothed into the cars radios, but we only ever answer if safe to do so and not doing anything complicated, we never phone out, whilst moving.

SatNav, we stop the car if we need to adjust settings.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) Font adjusted.

24 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Every 7 minutes....

Infinity wrote:

Something odd?

Your font size appears to have been reset for this postWink

jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

Yep, sorry @Infinity , but no way can I read your posts, the font is way too small.

John
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

No criticism, but one has to ask why is it connected to your Bluetooth at all and why do so many cars these days have a facility that even allows you to talk on the phone 'safely' in the first place and yes, I do recognise it's a thin line between that and using the radio or CD player. 

It's a puzzle to be sure and yep, hand up I've done all four.

Like plastic bags, if they stopped producing and providing then the consumer would not be at the end of the blame chain all the time. Just saying.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Infinity wrote:

Police nab a driver on their phone every seven minutes, despite harsh new penalties

Our phones are bluetoothed into the cars radios, but we only ever answer if safe to do so and not doing anything complicated, we never phone out, whilst moving.

we only ever answer if safe to do so

and not doing anything complicated,

So, you don`t do "complicated driving", ?  driving along a motorway/dual carriageway,  at up to 70mph  is very complicated, you should be paying attention to the vehicles in front of you,  adjusting your speed to maintain or improve the distances between you and other vehicles, and checking your three mirrors almost every two or three seconds, so that if you do need to do something REALLY complicated, like overtake someone in a slower lane,apply the brakes, or avoid an accident, due to someone else not paying attention whilst chatting/receiving a phone call,

same goes for driving on a country lanes,being aware of the state of the road surface, what is around the next corner, car stopped? tractor coming your way with a wide load of hay? motocyclist on the wrong approach from his end.... horse riders...  don`t you think that is "complicated" ?

Town and village driving require the same complications, but add on the pedestrian who crosses without looking.... the cyclist, motorcyclist, car. van, lorrydriver who miss read the road and change lanes without checking their mirrors..

To continually assess your postion and speed relative to other hazards .. you need all your concentration on what you are doing, i.e. driving your car in a safe manner, so as not to cause yourself or others any injury through an accident caused by your selfish action.

Which is more important to you?    Youre Life?  Your Family?  or answering that phone?

It`s not only Your Life, that will be affected if you answer it... and your lack of concentration on that "not complicated" bit of driving, causes and accident,  you may not be killed or injured yourself, but you, your family and others WILL AFFECTED for many years to come...

Stop being selfish... turn the phone off when you are driving by yourself.... 

I will allow that you do say "we" in your post, intimating that you always have a passenger available to answer the phone....

but by the same token... you, could well be,  using the "royal" we, in that sentence, 

.... One would hope not, wouldn` one  ?

TURN IT OFF... you can always ring them back when you are in a "safe" place to do so, cos it shows up the "missed calls" on your screen ? ?

Infinity
Pro

jab1 wrote:

Yep, sorry @Infinity , but no way can I read your posts, the font is way too small.

journeys wrote:
Infinity wrote:

Something odd?

Your font size appears to have been reset for this postWink

I don't know why, but when I quote from some papers, or when I add my own text, the font sizes are all over the place, and no matter how hard I try to make all the quotes a standard size, this just does not happen !

cyrilclark1
Rising Star

100% in agreement with what you have written shutter!

Community Veteran

@Infinity   Simples..... you highlight, or select, the text you have copied and pasted into the reply box, then you click on the "Font Sizes" and use a number from 1 to 7 ...... 4 is about normal....

this is font size one .......  abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

this is font size four .............      font size four

this is font size seven......           font size seven

Infinity
Pro

Now try it with a newspaper headline quote or two, not your own text ..................

Community Veteran

From your favourite newspaper.....

More than 200 drivers a DAY flouted new laws on mobiles at the wheel in the first four weeks since tougher laws were introduced

• Figures show drivers are ignoring law that states no using phones while driving
  • Tougher punishments introduced in March saw 200 motorists caught a day   
  • One man caught doing his online banking while driving along the M5

Above is the original size... copy and pasted....

Here is the same text resized....

Using the same "copy & paste" as above... ( not the text from above )... resized to size 4...

More than 200 drivers a DAY flouted new laws on mobiles at the wheel in the first four weeks since tougher laws were introduced

• Figures show drivers are ignoring law that states no using phones while driving
  • Tougher punishments introduced in March saw 200 motorists caught a day   
  • One man caught doing his online banking while driving along the M5

SIMPLES !

Infinity
Pro

Infinity wrote:

Not wishing to upset certain individuals, I often do not mention the fact that I am reasonably well off, well substantially well off in fact, due in no small part to an excellent Education and initially working in very well paid jobs (TV), with excellent investments and inherited family businesses...

Not something I flaunt ( not often anyway !)

I don't wish to alienate others on this Forum... horses for courses

For Business use, I often employ an ex-Police driver friend to drive me places, but even so I will not use the mobiles when sat next to him, it is a distraction.

However, when travelling in the back of one of the Bentleys on longer Business trips, I do put up the privacy screen to use a mobile !!

Anonymous
N/A

Infinity wrote:

Infinity wrote:

Not wishing to upset certain individuals, I often do not mention the fact that I am reasonably well off, well substantially well off in fact, 

Don't worry, you do it often enough to make sure we all know.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@shutter

You are spot on with your comments about the use of mobile phones in cars.

Thumbs Up

@Infinity

Bentley ? Is the Rolls in for servicing ?

Smiley

Community Veteran

I find it particularly vulgar of the wealthy, who take pride and pleasure in their wealth, and flaunt it to impress the less well-off. 

Those people, seem to forget, that it is generally those "less well-off" people that enables them to live the way they do  (i.e. their employees and other "staff" ).. . which makes their flaunting even more vulgar, and arrogant.

perhaps a "thanks shutter" for explaining how to resize text on the forum, is something beneath one who has had a such a good education.... 

Infinity
Pro

gleneagles wrote:

@Infinity

Bentley ? Is the Rolls in for servicing ?

Smiley

I think you saw one of the Bentleys at our cottage in the Lakes a while back, if I remember correctly