Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ever taken apart an Advent 7086 laptop?

gary
Grafter

Ever taken apart an Advent 7086 laptop?

Hey guys,
I'm trying to repair a fault lappy for a friend, the power jack appears to need replacing (Apparently a common fault) so i've started the process of trying to dismantle it and then hit a brick wall! This thing is impossible! From what I can tell there are some more screws under the keyboard which need to be removed to allow access, however removing the keyboard appears to be an impossible task, even with the screen removed!
If anyone has any more knowledge on these laptops / can point somewhere to find instructions on how to get into it I would be very appreciative  Wink
NB: Have already spent 4 hours google'ing
Thanks,
Gary.
7 REPLIES
gary
Grafter

Re: Ever taken apart an Advent 7086 laptop?

Actually its ok guys, google'ing other models shows their are some very well hidden clips at the bottom of the keyboard which have now been removed and I'm IN! Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Reminds me of when I first took my lappie o bits (dodgy power socket also).
Got it back together and the bloody plastic speaker cover hadn't quite clipped in properly (though it looked like it had). Closed the screen cover and CRACK!
Be careful reassmbling it. Remember to remove the screws and put them in little containers with labels so you get the right ones in the right places in the right order! For some reason, laptops seem to come apart and go together sequentially..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 47

Took a dead Laptop to pieces a while ago...every single screw, plug, ribbon cable and other plugins I could find.
Found nothing obviously wrong so put it all back together.
It fired up and ran ok.
Must have been a bad contact.
Not complaining though. Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Lol if only we all had that much luck with ebay heh
Bought this one and it's been nothing but trouble ever since. Yeah it does work, but jeez, the greif I've had - £70 just for a new battery!!!
Oh, the mobo bios is password locked too Sad Tried removing the battery, shorting pins etc, no luck as its chip protected. USB sockets were knackered too Sad
Still for £170, the printer that came with it was brilliant!!!
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Some laptops need a dongle plugged into the parallel or serial ports in order to remove the bios password, I think HP did some of these. There was someone on sheffield forum the other day with the same issue, he was able to find a site that told him how to make one and apparently it wasn't that hard.
Hope that helps, post back if you have no joy and we can have a look for you.
Community Veteran

Actually thats a fine point as mine is a HP ZE4500 series.
Any chance you got a link?
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

There wasn't one in the thread (and annoyingly I've just gone back and looked to check and it was a toshiba *blushes*)
Having said that there's a good list of bios back door passwords here that should help, and a lot of good suggestions in the various google search entries here.
Hope that helps, sorry about my cock-up.