cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ever heard of the "Leap Year Bug"?

Fixes: 125

Ever heard of the "Leap Year Bug"?

That was the exuse given to me by British Gas when I rang to ask why my switch from WebSaver 10 to the Online tarriff, which I actioned through their website, still hadn't gone through since 11:00 this morning Shocked Roll eyes
Oops: edited the title or post didn't make sense Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

6 REPLIES
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Ever heard of the "Leap Year Bug"?

It must be 6 months now since I applied online to BG to transfer my mother's electricity supply from EDF. Things seemed to be progressing as an electricity usage monitor arrived in the post. Some 6 weeks later I chased online to find out what was happening as we had heard nothing further. The reply was that there was no trace of an order and that if we wanted to transfer the supply to ring in. I replied that they had the order and I would leave them to dig it out or forget it as I would not be ringing to start the procedure again.We heard no more but the order number is still shown as pending on Mum's online account.
The main reason I suggested to Mum that she transferred was that EDF's customer service was pretty ropey and I had had good recent experience with BG. So much for that idea. The difference in energy prices at the time between the two suppliers was not enough to make it worth bothering.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Computers are wonderful. Whatever happens, no one is to blame.
Not young enough to know everything
Fixes: 105

Yup, it's struck the pn voip service ;-)
Will Moderate For Thanks
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

After all this time and the millenium bug so many years ago MS have had more than enough time to figure out how to handle things like that. Shameful isn't it especially at the prices they charge for their software!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Steve
It hurt M$

It does with Excel too, as dates in Excel are stored internally by a number (as in the number of days past 0/1/1900), but Excel treats 1900 as a leap year when it was not. So 60 should be 1/3/1900, where Excel treats it as 29/2/1900, which isn't a valid date.
Confused me when I had to write a function to convert SQL to Excel dates, SQL treats 1 as 2/1/1900 (so one above Excel), until after 60 where it is two above since it doesn't have the leap year bug.
Apparently it was due to Lotus 123 having the bug originally, and because that preceded Excel, Microsoft copied it for compatibility.