Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Ever Rising Council Tax

And we all know how ponzi schemes end.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

The same way as the current UK model for social provision - in tears.

I've been drawing my pension now for over ten years and I'll be leaving this life through a closing door I know. The amount that youngsters or even those in middle age are being told to put by for their pensions is simply staggering - £400,000 in order to get the current amount (allowing for inflation) of £155 according to one award winning financial web site. 

In the meantime you'll have to live longer to get it, and there is no guarantee it will be there to be had.    

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

@Minivanman wrote:

@Luzern

But it's not just funded from PAYG is it, and what about VAT?

Not all income comes from one obviously and none of it is ring fenced for one particular purpose - like that old urban myth sausage of the road fund licence paying for our pot hole blighted roads. If only eh.

As for being one massive ponzi scheme, that sounds about right. 

Of course you are correct, but I was limiting discussion to the theory of the scheme with the elements that concern personal levies on income.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@Luzern

Point taken Smiley

Highlighted
Pro

It not just council tax going up also other things has gone up.

1) Housing Rent 4%

2) Council Tax 3.2% (Telford area)

3) Severn Trent Water 2.7%

4) Gas / Electricity 1.9%

5) Petrol 1.5%

6) Foods 1.5%

7) TV License 1.3%

Others 1%

And the wage isn't going to get any pay rise! And that's the total of 17.1% increase as the government isn't aware of this! Shame on you Tory Govt (the lots of those MPs will go to hell not heaven)

God want the world to be freedom, peace and be loved & equal....money is just pure evil hell.

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

@goldenfibre wrote:

And that's the total of 17.1% increase as the government isn't aware of this! Shame on you Tory Govt (the lots of those MPs will go to hell not heaven)

God want the world to be freedom, peace and be loved & equal....money is just pure evil hell.

No, it really isn’t ‘a total of 17.1% increase’. That is not how percentages work. What you have written is complete, total and utter nonsense.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Had mine this morning - amount to pay £00.00

Happiness is being on Pension Credit. Smug smug  Wink 

Highlighted
Hero

@Anonymous wrote:

@goldenfibre wrote:

And that's the total of 17.1% increase as the government isn't aware of this! Shame on you Tory Govt (the lots of those MPs will go to hell not heaven)

No, it really isn’t ‘a total of 17.1% increase’. That is not how percentages work. What you have written is complete, total and utter nonsense.

@Anonymous Maybe our friend is a bit cuckoo in the oak with his calcs, but wouldn't it be kinder to tell him, how to do it? Smiley

@goldenfibre You need to list what you spent on each item during 2017/18, then apply the appropriate percentage increase to it to give the new spend.Next step is to add up what you spent in 2017/18(A). Add up what you will spend in 2018/19(B). Divide (B) by (A). Finally just deduct 1 from the number you've produced, and multiply the remainder by 100. The answer will be the true overall percentage increase.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

ok so the bank interest rate (0.75%) is predicted to rise to 2 % by 2021 to curb spending but how does that square with the rate of inflation being higher over the past 8 years and possibly more when most people have got a 1% pay rise if they were lucky ?

How does it also square with the increasing number of homeless & people using food banks, clearly there is a flaw somewhere ?

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gleneagles

Those are some big questions. Luckily there is a free MOOC which started today which should help you better understand these issues: https://www.coursera.org/learn/intro-economic-theories

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@gleneagles

Maybe we should not include the increased use of food banks with inflation. It's likely to be a false prophet. As the man said, build it and they will come - or in this case, provide it and they will take.

I'm not saying there is not a genuine need, but to link it like that?

That's been my observation anyway.

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Minivanman

Ah, a bit like pension credit and exemptions from council tax which are happily taken by people who somehow manage to afford to run a car and have a home internet connection in spite of apparently not being able to pay for their own refuse to be taken away, and who then boast about it on Internet forums? Is that the sort of thing you mean?

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Happy to swap my ten your old Fiesta with whatever you are driving, and of course your income. As for my internet that's costing me around £4.50 a week which is less than a bottle of plonk.

And why am I even bothering to explain myself to you? I have absolutely no idea Crazy2 

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, a 10 year old fiesta would certainly be an upgrade for me and thanks for the offer, but no thanks.

As someone who has consistently contributed to a pension fund throughout my working life, I object to my taxes being used to subsidise those who were either too selfish or short-sighted to make adequate provision for their retirement. I object even more when they feel the need to gloat about it on this or any other forum.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Well you may have seen it as gloating but that was not my intent - hence the added wink.

You think I did not pay into a private pension (most of which was lost in that financial meltdown) and pay tax for nearly fifty years? I most certainly did, and paid enough tax in my latter years (albeit overseas) to make your eyes bleed.

My house is paid for, pension just enough to live on, drive an old car, and put less than one bag of rubbish out a week onto my pot-hole filled road. I come in at just a nudge under to qualify for pension credit so...... 

As for my Fiesta being an upgrade for you, what are you driving, a hoop and stick? Funny