Did you mean: 

Even sillier Health and Safety jobsworths

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Even sillier Health and Safety jobsworths

20 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Even sillier Health and Safety jobsworths

Sometimes makes me wonder how long it will be before we see 'fire exit' signs on the back of toilet cubicle doors.
Surely the Wyke Regis pulpit stairs shouldn't need to have a document asking people not to fall off them - wouldn't this be common sense to the majority of folks.
All this nonsense is gradually eliminating the Darwin factor, and is therefore gradually making people less intelligent - therefore increasing the future risk.
jmd
Grafter

It is just potty!
Community Veteran

We need a revolution.  This H&S nonsense has gone too far.  And the same goes for the PC brigade as well.  Roll eyes
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Shouldn't that pulpit have provision for wheelchair access?  Shocked

Community Veteran

Maybe a lift or a 'Stairway to Heaven Grin Grin'
geewizz
Grafter

It seems quite sensible to modify the steps with a handrail. I don't see why it has to be assumed that the addition would be made from plastic or metal, or that it needs to be ugly. With a little bit of imagination that pulpit could be enhanced with a matching stone ballustrade or an elegant wooden structure. Personally, I would put forward a design that relied heavily on glass for structural integrity and tie it with slender, brushed aluminium straps.
Just because something is old, it doesn't mean it can't be improved. At the risk of being labelled as a heretic, I think we can get a bit too precious about antiquities.
Fixes: 47

Speechless Lips are sealed
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
geewizz
Grafter

... then that pulpit is no place for you, Strat. Grin
Fixes: 47

Absolutely Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

and another example Organ Grinder
Community Veteran

[me=Be3G]would just like to remind people that the 'news' they're discussing is coming from the Daily Mail. That is all.[/me]
Community Veteran

So write our a basic risk assessment, like the church guy did.  Obvious risks are that the audience blocks the highway (make sure it doesn't).  Someone trips over the (wider) base of the organ (don't let the audience come too close).  The organ bumps into people or things as it's being pushed (take care and be observant).
I'm not a risk assessment professional or even a health and safety expert (remember "ex" is something that has been and a "spurt" is a drip under pressure), but it can't be that hard, surely.
John
Community Veteran

*Oldjim would point out to Be3G that the link was to the Daily Mail because of the picture. Would he prefer this one from the Daily Telegraph or the Matlock Mercury Perhaps someone's prejudices are showing
Community Veteran

Well, it doesn't make sense to get worked up about something when there's a reasonable chance of some factual inaccuracies somewhere. However, seeing as other publications back it up, all well and good.