cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eurovision Song Contest

Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Eurovision Song Contest

Anyone watching? - see the Russian Grannies?  Wink They'll probably win it  Grin
19 REPLIES
Fixes: 102

Re: Eurovision Song Contest

Football here, even closed the facebook tab to escape the horrors of eurovision Wink
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Spoil sport  Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Not if you saw Greece's performance  Shocked
Tongue
Fixes: 102

Quote from: Anotherone
Spoil sport  Cheesy

Not over many things... but this one I just can't stand lol
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Well at 23:00hrs we have just 1 point  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Now on 6 points  Shocked
Fixes: 47

Well we weren't last Roll eyes
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
David_W
Rising Star

We were not actually terrible this year, but we were average, for us to score high we need to go beyond average and be excellent, even good isn't good enough for us as for some reason other countries don't like to vote for us.  We still get the voting blocks with Norton telling us before hand who will score 12 with amazing accuracy but even with the voting blocks a brilliant song will get a lot of points.
Whoever is in charge of picking the song and singer though needs to be fired, we need a song that'll appeal to a younger demographic, not too young (boy band territory like last year) and most certainly not too old (this years song).
A song I really love at the moment and I think would do brilliantly in Eurovision is this one.  It's in Japanese but I don't think it's the lyrics that make it such a great song, it's the song itself and the music behind it, a song like that in Eurovision would score pretty well because it's enjoyable, it's good to listen to, it's great to listen to even.  Of course, I thought the song from Denmark was brilliant and should have come top 5 so what do I know  Crazy
Although, saying that, last year Italy came in with a soft jazz melody and came second.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Anotherone
Anyone watching? - see the Russian Grannies?  Wink They'll probably win it   Grin

Why Oh Why would any one watch the Eurovision Song Contest, it is fixed, the last time I watched it was back in the 1980's and it was fixed back then, the BBC pulled Casualty for that heap of brown stuff.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I don't actually think its fixed (well not 100% with a nagging undecided 5%) But with countries voting heavily on nationalistic preferences and neighbouring country levels we're never going to do well, and its been so ever since the eastern European countries were admitted to the contest. One can well imagine some residents being afraid to not vote for Russia or the Ukraine etc..
I don't really think there's an answer short of having seperate east/west contests and playing off the winners
However turning to last nights production, there seemed to me to be a lot of solo female singers this year, whose songs could easily have been written by the same lyricist with the same music. Using the same production namely, the singer opens with a moody low pitched introduction and erupts slowly into a screeching mezzo-soprano ear-splitting crescendo.
Actually, I spent most of it trying to work out who was miming and who wasn't...Jedward? I don't think singing through some of their antics would be possible, the one on the left of screen seemed to me to give up trying several times. The best bit being when they were soaked at the end.
Edit: I also think its high time the scoring system was modified to four votes rather than 12. And, even when singers were singing in English. I don't know whether its only me but I could barely understand a word. But then I think that about most modern singers.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
jmd
Grafter

I just had it on as background whilst I was reading and then turned it off when they started voting.  I thought all the songs sounded very similar and boring!  Not sure why we bother with it nowadays anyway.
Fixes: 47

Engelbert was wavering off key in places and I found Graham Norton's comment about Greece clapping in relief at not having won amusing.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Strat
Graham Norton's comment about Greece clapping in relief at not having won amusing.

Think a few countries were relieved at not winning (Spain, Italy, Ireland, Portugal for starters)
Staging Eurovision is not cheap. I see Norway maintained the incredibly standard it sets itself at not hosting Eurovision. Roll eyes
(with 2012 they  hold the record for coming last.....11 times)