cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

European Satellite TV information please.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

European Satellite TV information please.

Seeing the thread on "how do you receive your tv".... has got me thinking that I might like to get a motorised satellite system to view european tv on my laptop.
I have done a very brief search and note that there are several different size dishes available, and don`t know much more about it. ... so any info or advice on the type of equipment needed to receive european ( from Spain to Norway and all points between ). would be appreciated.  I would like to use my laptop as the screen.... so what "box" would I need, and what size satellite dish etc.... etc... etc... ?
20 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: European Satellite TV information please.

All that will be very much down to what satellites you want to pick up and how far out of their "beam" you are.
Here's a good forum to join to get information: http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/
And some kit that might work....
Fixes: 47

A site for satellite information http://www.lyngsat.com/europe.html
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

Quote from: shutter
Seeing the thread on "how do you receive your tv".... has got me thinking that I might like to get a motorised satellite system to view european tv on my laptop.

If all you want is European TV on your laptop, a VPN, Proxy or Smart DNS service may be a better and cheaper/easier solution. Plenty of European broadcasters provide iPlayer type services.
I have done a very brief search and note that there are several different size dishes available, and don`t know much more about it. ... so any info or advice on the type of equipment needed to receive european ( from Spain to Norway and all points between ). would be appreciated.  I would like to use my laptop as the screen.... so what "box" would I need, and what size satellite dish etc.... etc... etc... ?

Dish size is dependent on your location and what SATs you want to receive, but the bigger the better ideally.
http://www.dishpointer.com/  is a good place to start. Enter your full address and it will give you a list of satellites and rough guide to dish size required to receive them at your location.
"zapping directories"' like kingofsat or lyngsat will also give a list of channels and SATs they're on.
Look at the numerous sat enthusiast forums like the one HPsauce has linked too, they all have guides.
Type of receiver will depend on lots of factors, like whether its just for FTA viewing, or you may want pay services in the future, number of tuners required, a plug n play/easy to setup and use box or more sophisticated, feature filled box that will take some time to master. I could go on and on....
But you can pay anything from £50 for a basic single tuner box to £500+ for an all singing and dancing multiple tuner box.

Community Veteran

OK... Thanks for those wonderful bits of information.... as I said, I don`t know much about it, so starting points are useful, and my quest will continue.
really only want to watch "entertainment"  type programs with music content...  as I don`t speak or understand languages... would not know which programs specifically would appeal, so program listings would be no good, likewise trying to choose specific "I-Player" type sites .
I spend a lot of time just scanning the HF airwaves with my Shortwave receivers, and want to try the same sort of "browsing" on the european satellite scene... so simple tuner with not too many bells and whistles, where I can just go up and down the channels, like I do with Freeview, would suffice.
I have thought that a motorised dish would be useful, so I can change satellites, but I will have to investigate more on what satellites are available, and how best to "catch" them..
again... thanks for the starter info.... much appreciated.  Wink
Community Veteran

My neighbour has a German wife so they have an extra dish (main one is FreeSat) aligned on one of the main European satellite groups (a few degrees away from the FreeSat one) to get German and other European programs. It's actually the same size but only picks up some channels (but enough for them) as the UK is outside the main beam area for some groups of channels.
The critical thing to remember is that, unlike shortwave, the satellite transmissions are quite directional with all sorts of beam patterns to cover the intended geography.
Razer
Grafter

I'm having visions of what your back garden may become, shutter. Clicky.
Community Veteran

That's nothing, you should see what's up the road from me!
DaveyH
Pro

I spend a lot of time just scanning the HF airwaves with my Shortwave receivers, and want to try the same sort of "browsing" on the european satellite scene... so simple tuner with not too many bells and whistles, where I can just go up and down the channels, like I do with Freeview, would suffice.

So more of a 'feed hunting' or DXing kind of setup (like a true sat enthusiast, who rarely actually watch any TV  Smiley ), rather than just watching TV.
Have a look in aldi/lidl/netto  or even b & Q as  they often have portable/camping setups that come with a  basic 12v receiver, tripod and smallish dish (which would be ok for the more popular/strongest sats ) in a brief case for around £50 as a starting point without having to spend to much cash. Then you could look at a more permanent solution if its your thing.
DaveyH
Pro

Quote from: HPsauce
My neighbour has a German wife so they have an extra dish (main one is FreeSat) aligned on one of the main European satellite groups (a few degrees away from the FreeSat one) to get German and other European programs. It's actually the same size but only picks up some channels (but enough for them) as the UK is outside the main beam area for some groups of channels.

That will be the Astra 1 group of SATs @ 19.2E which are easy to catch on even a small dish.
In fact when half the F1 races went behind the paywall,  there was an insurgence of fans to the scene who had no intention of handing money to murdoch and were looking for info on how to get RTL (as its still FTA on there).
Was amazing how many sky mini dishes appeared with second LNBs cable tied or duct taped to them Smiley
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: HPsauce
That's nothing, you should see what's up the road from me!

Mines bigger than yours !!!  Tongue
I've stood on the dish !  Cool
Community Veteran

Quote from: PlusComUK
Mines bigger than yours !!!  Tongue

No it's not, it's a radiotelescope, mine are ALL satellite dishes.  Cheesy
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Relevant to the forum,  I (We) Have a dish (quite large) in our Costa Del Sol Apartment in Casares.  You can't see it fully but I hope you get the idea.  It gets all the FreeSat channels and I have a Foxsat- HDR (Yes another one) in the family room and a Grundig GUFSAT02SD in the master bedroom.  We often go to Spain in the summer holidays and October Half term when school breaks up (Don't start on the plane ticket prices!  Undecided) I could buy my own plane and in fact I am a qualified Pilot with A pilot license for light aircraft (Such as the Piper SaraToga)
Jamie
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Forgot to attach the image  Roll eyes
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
Community Veteran

Quote from: DaveyH

So more of a 'feed hunting' or DXing kind of setup (like a true sat enthusiast, who rarely actually watch any TV  Smiley ), rather than just watching TV.
Have a look in aldi/lidl/netto  or even b & Q as  they often have portable/camping setups that come with a  basic 12v receiver, tripod and smallish dish (which would be ok for the more popular/strongest sats ) in a brief case for around £50 as a starting point without having to spend to much cash. Then you could look at a more permanent solution if its your thing.

Yeah,.... thats the sort of thing.... hunting around to see what is around....  ( free to view stuff , of course...... ) then probably, make my own viewing schedule......
was thinking of getting a motorised dish, so I could "flit" between satellites....  but use the cheapest, lowest cost, equipment to experiment with.....
Having a look at "Dishpointer".... I`m not sure whether I would actually be able to get a clear line of sight, to the three or four most popular in the uk, satellites, as there appears to be an "object" about 50 mtrs away, with varying heights.... (towards the east of me)... which is probably a row of houses running north/south. the given height (of the object) is between 25 & 35 mtrs....  I am assuming that the actual postion of the dish is at ground level, on the map position, as it ( the height/distance of the object )  does not alter if I move the location to the apex of our roof, or further down the garden. 
I don`t have an I-phone so can`t use the apps to check .... would the fact that "the object" is in the line of sight, at 50mtrs, seriously degrade the signal?