cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

European Parliament elects former Polish Prime Minister Jerzy Buzek - President

Community Veteran

European Parliament elects former Polish Prime Minister Jerzy Buzek - President

Interesting times:
"The European Parliament has elected former Polish Prime Minister Jerzy Buzek as the chamber's president.
The vote on the 69-year-old Polish conservative was the first job of the newly-elected parliament in Strasbourg.
Mr Buzek is the first politician from the former communist bloc to chair the parliament."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8148729.stm
21 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: European Parliament elects former Polish Prime Minister Jerzy Buzek - President

What about the rumour that Blair is to be elected as permanent president if the Lisbon Treaty gets ratified.  I thought we'd seen the last of him Sad
Community Veteran

Re: European Parliament elects former Polish Prime Minister Jerzy Buzek - President

Not a rumour,  official labour party policy I read.
I can't see other countries in Europe being very in favour - as they weren't excatly in fovour of the invasion of Iraq. And Blair is irrefutably associated with the mess over that.

Community Veteran

Announced in Brussels by Glynis Kinnock no less Huh  I see the hand of Meddleson in this Wink
Community Veteran

Your favourite Lord !  Wink
Community Veteran

He certainly is the power in the government.  Little happens without his approval.  I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when he told Brown about his plan to get Blair nominated Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

For once the European Parliament has shown some sense.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Anyone wishing to protest at Blair getting the job in Europe can do so at:
http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/stopblair/signatures.html
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when he told Brown about his plan to get Blair nominated Smiley

Mendleson certainly does seem to be getting a free rein to do as he pleases these days...I wonder why, he's no friend of Brown (apparently up until now that is) in fact he seems to upset everybody he comes in contact with, but everyone seems to be afraid of him, again I wonder why?
Perhaps it will be a case of "how the mighty fall" we can live in hopes I suppose.
To turn to Brown, that was a shameful display of how to avoid answering questions to a defence select committee the other day. A news topic the media has studiously ignored.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

It has been discussed in the media that if Blair goes to Europe he will give Brown the job heading the European Bank.  Maybe that's the deal Meddleson has brokered to get Brown's backing for Blair's nomination.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Think the UK would have to adopt the Euro before a UK person gets elected as president of the EU, show 100% committment.
Mind you wouldn't be surprised to see Brown/ Muddleson slip that over the fence before the next election.
We'll wake up one morning and find its a done deal, £ on par with the Euro.
Euge
Grafter

Probably wouldn't be such a bad thing to move over to Euro's now considering the state of the pound. The Euro has been more stable surely?
Community Veteran

Interesting to speculate how we would be now after the last years credit crunch etc - if we had been in the Euro zone. The pind has faired badly compared with the Euro.
Certainly all the Brits who went to live abroad in the sun - in Spain / France etc - are suffering as their pensions are worth a lot less.
Businesses that import a lot of goods from the Euro zone have been sufferning too ..
Trouble is it is all very emotional for a lot of folk - they just want to stick with the names they know: pound sterling, the pound and stone in weight, the inch and the mile. 
Community Veteran

Quote from: journeys
Mind you wouldn't be surprised to see Brown/ Muddleson slip that over the fence before the next election.

Believe I've heard that or words to that effect mentioned by Mandy in the last week or so...

Euge
Grafter

Quote from: mal0z
Trouble is it is all very emotional for a lot of folk - they just want to stick with the names they know: pound sterling, the pound and stone in weight, the inch and the mile.   

It's a shame that attitude still exists but you're right. I went to a politics seminar in France back in 2000 and it was mostly about whether we should convert to the Euro and what benefits that it held. It certainly struck a chord with me back then (helped by phillipa forrester  Lips are sealed ) but I still felt we should wait a few years before joining them and I think that time is now.