cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

European Parliament election results

Community Veteran

European Parliament election results

As these results are being announced soon - I thought we should have a new thread.
I did vote - but was very sorry that I received not one piece of promotional material through the letter box, and would not not know the candidates if I hadn't taken the trouble to research on the internet.
35 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Re: European Parliament election results

I received pamphlets from the Conservatives, Liberal Democrat and UKIP only - yes I voted also
Community Veteran

I made a protest vote.
Community Veteran

I really think they should always have an  extra abstain box
then voting - either in person or by post should be mandatory.
Community Veteran

I have been surprised by the high number of people I have spoken to who have said they would not vote....."because they are all as bad as each other"
itsme
Grafter

UK voted Thursady results not in. France and Germany voted today results have been posted.  Embarrassed
Community Veteran

I don't think counting here was done until today - except in one of the Scottish Isles which won't count on a Sunday for religious reasons.
Community Veteran

Dimbleby has just said our votes were counted on Thursday but the result couldn't be released until after 9p tonight.  Don't know why they've not been announced Undecided
Community Veteran

Because most of rest of Europe didn't vote until today. For some reason - UK always seems to vote on a Thursday.
itsme
Grafter

So that they can party Thursday night/Friday morning and sleep it off Friday which leave the weekend free.
Community Veteran

We have traditionally always voted on a Thursday.  Don't know why but I don't see any reason to change.
itsme
Grafter

5.1  There is no statutory requirement for a parliamentary election to be held on a Thursday. Under Rule 1 of the parliamentary rules, as set out in Schedule 1 of the Representation of the People Act 1983, an election may not be held on a number of designated days, at weekends, bank holidays or those appointed for public thanksgiving or mourning. Such days are specified in the 1983 Act as dies-non, that is, non-working days, and are, therefore, excluded for the purposes of the parliamentary election timetable.

5.9  The historical reasons for choosing Thursday as the normal day of polling are no longer clear. General elections from 1918 until 1931 were held on various days of the week, but Thursday has been the favoured day since 1935. Table 8 sets out the days and dates of polling since 1918.
5.10  The trend towards choosing Thursdays for elections continued on the abolition of Urban District Councils and Rural District Councils under the Local Government Act 1972, when the ordinary day for elections to District Councils was fixed for the first Thursday in May. The day of the election for parish councils was changed from Saturday to Thursday at the same time.
5.11  Though it is not unknown for local by-elections to be held on another weekday, the last occasion that a parliamentary by-election was held on another weekday was in 1978 at Hamilton when it was held on a Wednesday. This was because of a possible clash with Scotland's participation in the World Cup on the Thursday which was seen as a possible discouragement to voters to turn out to vote.
Community Veteran

I think it was also the day when the majority of shops closed for a half day on Thursdays so workers could get to vote.  With 24/7 shopping this isn't relevant today.
Early results from UK look poor for Labour. 
Further to what I said before it appears counting started earlier today but results are taking a while because of the lengthy ballot paper.
itsme
Grafter

and I thought you were of the older generation. Wednesday was half day closing, or it was in my area.
Community Veteran

Given that large numbers of people work away from home, maybe voting on a Saturday would be a good choice so people can vote in person.
People working away from home from Monday to Friday, service personnel many of whom have homes many miles away from their UK base, .people who commute long distance daily leave home before 7am and arrive after 10pm, etc etc
I know we have postal voting - but many people seem to prefer to do it in person.