cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Europe: stay in or withdraw? A Poll Result

Community Veteran
Fixes: 5

Re: Europe: stay in or withdraw? A Poll Result

Well, I had a long sleep thinking about that poll .. but I think I'll go for E.
Slightly shorter than the one regarding what it has done for the country (ho ho ho).
Community Veteran

The United States currently has no official language, English is the de facto national language.
10% ish of Americans speak Spanish as their first language
Mal, my experience with lannguage overseas has been the same as yours.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and in parts of the south a sort of French
Community Veteran

I spend a lot of time in the US and they certainly state English as being their official language.  There is also a drive to make sure everyone speaks English and there is resentment amongst Americans to those who only speak Spanish.
I speak a little Spanish but very poorly.  In general I agree with other posters that English is the one language that is recognised in most places.
(Looks like I missed an interesting discussion on here last night after I went out.  Had a tennis match to play)
Community Veteran

the United States currently has no official language, English is the de facto national language.
In the US often when you call into phone sytems the first menu option is please press one for English or por favor, pulse dos para el español (please press two for Spanish).
@Artmo, for your Spanish, have a look at this Rosetta Stone It is an excellent system for learning language, we are currently using the Mandarin programme.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Santiago

10% ish of Americans speak Spanish as their first language

Which is approximately 75% of the population of Spain. So not an insignificant numbers, hence the legal requirement in some states to print documents in both English and Spanish.
Community Veteran

I agree, I am aware of the dual language document requirements because we have to do that too Smiley
Community Veteran

Thanks Santiago I've heard of Rosetta Stone.  Lots of ads on radio at present for the courses.  I've really given up on Spanish now.  I only visit Spain once a year so don't get much chance to use it.