cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Europe: stay in or withdraw? A Poll Result

Community Veteran

Europe: stay in or withdraw? A Poll Result

Came across a poll on the Money Saving Expert site just now. linky
It was a poll about whether we should stay in Europe. I was somewhat surprised at the results page
A. Full integration. A United States of Europe.                                                6% (422 votes)
B. More Integration. E.g. Join the Euro & have unified foreign policy.    13% (930 votes)
C. Status Quo. Keep things as they are now.                                          11% (779 votes)
D. Less Integration. E.g. Keep open trade but that’s it.                         39% (2763 votes)
E. Withdraw. UK to leave the EU.                                                                  31% (2227 votes)

Personally as a European I would go with A or B
I don't understand, why these people don't want to be Europeans too?
52 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Europe: stay in or withdraw? A Poll Result

Possibly for the same reason they don't  want to be Americans. Personally I would rather see an English parliament rather than a further integration into a European state.
Fixes: 104

I don't want to be European, in the sense of A and B.
Looking at the shambles that the EU parliament is at the moment more integration would surely make it worse.
I've seen anything good come from the integration aside from the trade agreements.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Fixes: 123

There's no way I want to be a 'European' - I will remain English, thank you Smiley

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

I'm, B or A -
we are European - always have been, before there was a USA, Canada, Austeralia in the modern sense.
The British Empire is dead - although some people don't like to admit it.
Yes the EU parliament is far from perfect - but as we are seeing - so is the UK Parliament.
I'm disgusted that our EU candidates didn't canvases us here - and I will be telling them that in the strongest terms, but that doesn't mean I think we should withdraw, as most of our trade is with Europe and it this difficult world - we should unify.
And yes to the Euro too - Blair should have taken us in years ago but was too weak.
Very many projects here  have been funded by European development grants
I've travelled most of Europe and much of the world - and have a wider view that a purely British, English , Scottish, Welsh view - the world has moved on and we need to go with it.

Community Veteran

Re English parliament - yes I think that would be a good idea - but it was offered by this governemnt but rejected by many.
So close down House of Lords and replace it with a UK Parliament - and change the present House of Commons to the English Parliament.
Fixes: 104

There is far from perfect and then there is not having your accounts signed off for the last so many years because they are in such a mess.
A fair few of the bureaucrats aren't even elected into their position.
Currently the economies of the european countries are all over the shop  and no where near harmonized so there can't be a one size fits all economic policy.
And as for the grants surely that's just the EU giving us less back that we pump in..
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

better to work from within than be on the outside
Community Veteran

I'd vote D.  The original idea for Europe was trade but we have allowed it to take over every aspect of our lifes.  We are controlled too much from Brussels.
We contribute a lot more into the community than we get out and this would be even worse had Maggie not negotiated a rebate, some of which Blair gave back.
Denzil
Grafter

I'd go for C - keeping the current level of integration, although it does need improving. The likes of UKIP are being very naive if they think we can survive economically if we leave the EU. Having common standards, no import duties etc makes it easier for UK businesses to sell in Europe. Having common standards means everybody benefits from safer products. We would lose a significant amount of business if we pull out.
It is short sighted just to look at the direct costs. The benefit to business far outweighs to cost. Quite a lot of EU money does come back to the UK. Cornwall, for instance, is one of the poorest parts of Europe, so it has benefited from EU money coming in to support all sorts of projects. Even if the direct costs are more than we gain, a lot of the at extra is going to help poorer parts of other countries. These are our neighbours. We should be doing our best to make friends and help them out - its what good neighbours should do.
Community Veteran

Well said Denzil - as they said United we stand - etc it brings much stability to a area of the world have was warring and in conflict for centuries, and many companies have set up in UK to access the European markets and as you say common standard help that enormously.
And now there are more citizens of the EU than there are of the USA - and that strength helps us on the world stage - even if we don't have the military strength of the USA.
I have travelled extensively in Britain - and Republic of Ireland - and I always seem to being seeing signs that say "Fundunded by EU develpment funds etc"
And lets not forget that the strength of the European courts managed to do to Microsoft that the US courts couldn't do - fine them for noncompetitive practices - and I'm sure other companies have been brought to heal from similar uncompetitive practises.
Again - i totally agree that there are many undemocratic practises within the EU - but stay deeply embedded within and reform from within.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Spider
Possibly for the same reason they don't  want to be Americans.
But we are in Europe geographically, not America.
Got this in from a colleague in the USA today.
By the way next time obama comes to england for a visit can you find a way to keep him there, really kind of sick of him here but the Europeans seem to like him

Community Veteran

I read that in the USA Obama is still riding on a high and trying to introduce a US wide health insurance scheme - which is being fought by the Republicans and the insurance companies.
In some ways the USA seems so backward compared with Europe and other big countries - and Obama is trying to rectify that.
Community Veteran

They have the best health care in the world but  the problem is with accessibility to it for all.
I have regular contact with a wide range of people from all over the US and when it boils down to it Obama's popularity is directly divided on party lines.  The Republicans don't like him and won't give him a chance whilst the Democrats are prepared to see how his policies work.
scootie
Grafter

D or C
we need to have are foot in the door but like said a one size econmy fits all policy as the EU seems to think just is not way things are.
This country needs more control on things like fishing quoters and genral fishing rules, farm subs ect