cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Europe rules again

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Europe rules again

As a coach driver, by 9th September 2013 to keep my licence to drive coaches I must complete 35 hours of CPC (certificate or professional competence) training, this is split into 5 all-day class-room modules at £55 a module (this is a negotiated company price and can be much more for the individual) This is to be in compliance of European Union safety standards.
This is over and above that as I'm over 65 I have to renew my D licence annually (instead of 5 years) £75 with a statutory medical £100 (depending on the doctors private fee's who carries it out)
This all applies to HGV drivers of vehicles over 7.5 tons as well.
I wonder if there are many others who have to pay to work to quite this extent?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Europe rules again

PS. I'm fully aware that there are many who pay much much more than this to commute to work, but this is voluntary mostly, not a necessity to be able to keep a job.
Before anybody mentions that fine point. 

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
nadger
Rising Star

Must admit that I thought CPC only applied if one was managing a fleet of vehicles.
I remember it was a requirement for management at parcel company I  had as a customer.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

A Number of people have to pay an a fee and undergo additional training or assessment on an annual basis or at less frequent intervals which they have to personally  pay for.
I accept that few have to pay the amount that you quote.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Gas-Safe engineers, quite expensive and time-consuming update and refresher training (though we probably do have the highest standards of qualified gas engineers in the world).
A few years ago my wife had to pay for a new CRB check to continue in her job (not that long after starting) as the council decided to change the management to a private company, at the same time they reduced the hourly rate to minimum wage so my wife (only doing about 8 hours a week) was out by well over a week's pay while a consultancy who 'identified the cost savings' walked off with tens of thousands!!
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
I wonder if there are many others who have to pay to work to quite this extent?

Very very many people in professional, technical etc. roles.
As an employee the employer would usually pay to keep staff competent; I used to work in businesses that required spending many thousands of pounds per year per person on this.
Community Veteran

This is true HP sauce, however, a vocational driving licence "belongs" to the driver not the employer. An employer even in extreme cases of "gross dereliction of duty" cannot remove the licence. Only on medical or police evidence can that be done.

Community Veteran

As did the skills, qualifications, professional memberships etc. that I'm referring to.  Wink No different.
Community Veteran

True.

David_W
Rising Star

Thinking about it logically, would you really want someone driving a coach or a HGV if they couldn't prove their competence every now and then?  We all get a bit lazy here and there and maybe pick up some bad habits that we shouldn't do so when you're in charge of a coach full of people or a heavy truck being able to show that you haven't picked up bad habits should be considered a good thing.
Another profession which doesn't involve people though is a Cisco qualification, to keep the qualification you have to resit the exam every 3 years and the CCNA isn't exactly cheap to get in the first place (though it's an option to take towards my Bsc, the 3 year retest is making me consider a different path).