cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Europe (again)

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Europe (again)

It's a matter of opinion as to whether the price of Alcohol should be increased to a minimum cost per unit but what I object to is,
Minimum price for alcohol is illegal: Europe's warning to Cameron as he pushes ahead with price hike
    Prime Minister wants to ban the sale of alcohol for less than 45p a unit
    He has been told this will contravene laws of the free movement of goods
    Wine-producing nations such as France, Italy and Spain are planning to take Britain to court for breaching EU law
    Typical family's drink bill set to soar by £100 a year
    Research found 59 per cent of alcohol costs less - meaning price will go up
    Government say plan will cut crime and health problems

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2240257/Alcohol-price-rules-illegal-European-Commission-warn...
If we can't even increase the price of an item without the EU poking it's nose in what chance do we stand with anything else, why bother with MPs might as well let Brussels just rule us direct !
28 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Re: Europe (again)

It is coming to a pretty pass when I have to rely on Europe to stop our nanny politicians costing me money.
And don't tell me it won't affect me because I buy wine normally priced at £11 per bottle  reduced to half price with an extra discount for buying 6 bottles
Increasing the minimum price for a bottle of cheap plonk to £4.50 will just mean that the better wines will just increase to maintain the differential or else nobody will buy the cheapest plonk
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: gleneagles
why bother with MPs might as well let Brussels just rule us direct !

I can't help but agree with that. Why do we have a government at all? It seems bonkers when all that happens if they get over ruled by the europrats about everything.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

This 45p a unit is the daftest thing yet!
I drink only wine plus the odd bottle of Pils. So, 30odd million adults have to pay for the antics of a few thousand eh?  Angry That really does make a lot of sense.
If the Eurocrats can over-rule this then that's one good thing that's come out of Brussels.
I think it would be better if HMG gave access to free booze for these anti-social drinkers. Most of them are probably on benefits so it would benefit the country if they all drunk themselves into oblivion ASAP. Just think of the reduction in the Social Security budget!  Wink
Geoff,
York.
kmilburn
Grafter

Quote from: gleneagles
If we can't even increase the price of an item without the EU poking it's nose in what chance do we stand with anything else, why bother with MPs might as well let Brussels just rule us direct !

IMHO this is an example of one of the advantages of the EU.
Given your comment I assume you also wish the EU didn't force the mobile operators to bring down their mobile roaming charges.
Damn those foreigners for stopping us from getting fleeced again... Shocked
Fixes: 47

Is someone suggesting we cherry pick the best EU laws and ignore the rest Wink
Sounds good to me Lips are sealed
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Yep, good idea Strat!
Is someone suggesting we cherry pick the best few sensible EU laws and ignore the rest?  Lips are sealed Tongue
I'd agree to that.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

This regulation is another example of the officialdom mantra in the UK nowadays "All subjects are guilty until proven innocent".
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
itsme
Grafter

Which laws come out of the EU (Brussels) and The European Court of Justice (Strasbourg)
alanf
Aspiring Pro

Although I am in general against EU meddling I must admit I would be a lot worse off but for TUPE which was the UK's implementation of an EU directive.
Community Veteran

i can't see that increasing the minimum price of alcohol will have any effect on consumption.  Anyone desperate for alcohol will simply find some other way of getting it. Supermarket theft could increase tremendously.
We should be looking at clamping down on drunken behavior with heavy fines and if necessary prison.
Fixes: 47

I agree with artmo.
Price increases of all addictive substances drive an increase in the means to fund it.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
nadger
Rising Star

I can see a massive increase in cross border shopping which will please ferries and chunnel.
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
Anyone desperate for alcohol will simply find some other way of getting it. Supermarket theft could increase tremendously.

It is surprising easy to distil your own sprits, often it can go wrong, the recipient ends up in hospital with NHS footing the bill.
Community Veteran

Of course the people who will lose out on this are the law abiding ones who simply want to have a bottle of wine with dinner.  Now they will have to pay more for it Sad