Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Euromillions Win

nadger
Rising Star

Euromillions Win

Just received this email
EuroMillions wishes to congratulate on snapping up our jackpot prize of a million
pounds via your email address. Reply to claim, quote ref number UKH-PLK**.

EuroMillion UK

****************DO NOT DELETE THIS MESSAGE*********************

Shame I don't do Euromillions  Cry
19 REPLIES
Fixes: 125

Re: Euromillions Win

I've received a couple of these before and I do occasionally play EuroMillions.
I decided to live dangerously and deleted the message. Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Good program about the work of the Fraud Squad on TV last night, so don't delete it. Just send it on to them.
nadger
Rising Star

I watched that yesterday evening, on ITV1, and one wonders how people fall for it in such a large way.
The operations must be very slick as professional advisers were also conned.
Albeit I'm not happy with the current returns on our savings nothing would tempt me to take risks.
Community Veteran

I caught up on the programme this evening.  An interesting documentary. I wonder why so many boiler rooms are located in Spain. Undecided
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I know one of the barristers involved in one the recent boiler room cases. The bad guys made approx £34 Million selling "shares" in four companies. The investigators know that in this case  the "shares" in sixteen other companies were involved in the case but chose not to prosecute on the evidence of the other companies because the court case would have been too long, risking its collapse. The actual fraud amount is substantially greater than the £16 Million.  The authorities will seize a lot of the money in the UK and overseas using the proceeds of crime legislation.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

It was sad to see some of the old people who had been conned. One elderly man said he had lost well over £100k and a lady is having to sell her family house after investing  even more.  As Nadger said, you have to wonder how people get sucked in by these crooks.
nadger
Rising Star

I don't think the painfully low interest rates one gets on savings helps  Cry
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I Think some people lose their judgement as they get older.
Looking at the sums of money invested by several elderly people it was clear to me they had this money in the first place and were well educated listening to the way they spoke, so why take a risk at that age investing large sums of money in shares ?
Surely they must have thought why should someone phone me out of the blue and tell me they were going to double or treble my money in months ? If it was true then why was everybody not doing it ?
If anyone phones you with such offers best to say, "My advice to you is put all your own money into it and then you would not have to be sitting at the end of a phone line every day phoning people up. "
I Guess there are better answers than this.
Be interesting to hear what sentence this guy gets when the other part of the Fraud squad is shown on Friday.
Fixes: 125

I agree with you gleneagles.
Why do these people not seek independent advise prior to investing - just to be safe. If they have these thousands sitting by they could surely afford the cost of the advice?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

One of them did. The financial advisor was taken in too.  Maybe that will allow the person to claim of the advisor's insurance for bad advice Undecided
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
The financial advisor was taken in too. 

Should be able to claim from the FSA regulation scheme (provided the financial advisor was a member of the scheme).
http://www.fsa.gov.uk/register/firmSearchForm.do
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Fact is; there are plenty around who are gullible (or sadly otherwise mentally challenged) enough to be taken in by what must be said can be very plausible con "artists" and, while there are, these kind of scams will continue to flourish...If they didn't make any money, they would rapidly disappear.
It may have been Mark Twain who said "there ain't no such thing as a free lunch"
Anyone offering me large amounts of money as long as I pay them first will get very short shift from me.
Hang on a minute, sounds like the National Lottery!!
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

It sounds a bit like the "money purchase" pension scheme run on behalf of one of my previous employers. The pension fund is now worth less than the original accumulated amount 15 years ago, yet the fatherless administrators still take their fees.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

And another called "equitable life".